Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 05:07 AM

2 posts, read 3,215 times

Advertisements

I am a travel healthcare provider and might end up landing an assignment in Springfield. I'm in a international relationship and we both have a huge amount of tattoos. Our original residence is Jackson, MS and even though there are some interracial couples, you don't see many African American women and Caucasian men together, plus with a lot of tattoos on them so we got quite a few stares. Came to Austin, TX and no even cares ( which is awesome). We're in our early 30s. So my question is how is Springfield? Is it pretty diverse? And is there things to do for people around our age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 04:56 PM

237 posts, read 124,975 times
I've been here a year after living in Joplin, MO for 15 years, and it's a pretty nice area. I grew up in Tennessee, and I'd have to say the racial prejudices here are less than in the South. Percentage-wise, there are fewer minorities (about 5%), but I never hear the kinds of awful remarks that I did when I was in Tennessee (particularly the Eastern part; Middle TN was better regarding race relations). There was a peaceful Black Lives Matter protest here last year. People are generally conservative, but laid-back.

As for things to do, depends on your interests. There are lots of parks, including a few that are particularly attractive and interesting (Nathanael Greene, Sequiota). Dickerson Park Zoo is nice. If you are into sports, we have the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame and a minor league baseball team. If you are food or drink connoisseurs, downtown has lots of restaurant variety. We also have three craft breweries and five farmer's markets. There are some arts type places, too, and several libraries.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:25 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,344,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khendra View Post
I've been here a year after living in Joplin, MO for 15 years, and it's a pretty nice area. I grew up in Tennessee, and I'd have to say the racial prejudices here are less than in the South. Percentage-wise, there are fewer minorities (about 5%), but I never hear the kinds of awful remarks that I did when I was in Tennessee (particularly the Eastern part; Middle TN was better regarding race relations). There was a peaceful Black Lives Matter protest here last year. People are generally conservative, but laid-back.

As for things to do, depends on your interests. There are lots of parks, including a few that are particularly attractive and interesting (Nathanael Greene, Sequiota). Dickerson Park Zoo is nice. If you are into sports, we have the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame and a minor league baseball team. If you are food or drink connoisseurs, downtown has lots of restaurant variety. We also have three craft breweries and five farmer's markets. There are some arts type places, too, and several libraries.
These parts of Missouri ARE considered the South though. Ozark, upper south though (similar to eastern TN). However the Ozarks have very few minorities though which could be a reason why there are less racial tensions versus places that have a high percentage of minorities mixed in with whites such as the deep south.

You mention eastern Tennessee better with race relations as well. Also not a lot of blacks in Eastern TN, very white like the Ozarks and is probably why you don't see the racial problems you do in Western Tennessee and the deep south.

It's funny because the big city liberals always try and say how the Ozarks, southern Missouri are a bunch of racist, Confederate, KKK hicks but you don't hear about too many racial problems down there but yet in St. Louis there always seems to be problems regarding whites and blacks. Ferguson for example.

Many liberals call Southwest and South central MO to be very prejudice and racist, along with Northern Arkansas Ozarks. I think it's because it's a very white area of the country so all because it's very white they assume it HAS to be racist.

It is true in the early 1900s, after the civil war blacks were ran out of Joplin, Springfield, and maybe northern Arkansas too. There were some lynchings in that region back then and I think there is a memorial in springfield regarding one of them in Springfield because most of the blacks were ran out of town. However, that was over 100 years ago and things have changed now.

I believe there is a book somewhere regarding Joplin, and the region of Southwest Missouri and Northwest Arkansas regarding post civil war and how blacks had problems in this region. It is rather embarrassing all the stuff you read on the internet about Missouri, especially southern Missouri being made fun of regarding racism and white trash.

Historic Joplin » White Man’s Heaven: The Lynching and Expulsion of Blacks in the Southern Ozarks

Old 04-19-2017, 08:47 PM

914 posts, read 2,207,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
These parts of Missouri ARE considered the South though.
Not by me.

But back to the OP's question - No, Springfield is not a place to seek diversity. Tolerance? Perhaps, but probably not for everyone in every situation. Mixed race couples are seen often enough today that I doubt that in and of itself would cause an issue. Lot's of tatoos? That is going to be noticed.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khendra View Post

Thank you all for the replies! �� I feel a little bit better about traveling there.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:25 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,344,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
Not by me.

But back to the OP's question - No, Springfield is not a place to seek diversity. Tolerance? Perhaps, but probably not for everyone in every situation. Mixed race couples are seen often enough today that I doubt that in and of itself would cause an issue. Lot's of tatoos? That is going to be noticed.

South by means like Northeastern Oklahoma, Northwest Arkansas, Northwest TX kind of southern, yes it's similar but not like the traditional south most think of. Southern dialect runs through the region, southern Baptist are dominate as well.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:05 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
The Ozarks are quite southern and it must be remembered that when the Civil War started the governor and many members of the Legislature wanted to join the Confederacy but were outnumbered, fled the Capitol and attempted to start another government loyal to the south.

We live in SW MO about five miles as the crow flies from the MO/AR border. Sweet tea, grits, fried chicken, canned green beans, potatoes and gravy, pork tenderloins and catfish predominate in the many, small restaurants. Accents and dialects are easily discernable and many are very southern as are colloquialisms.

In sum, SW MO is far more southern than Midwestern. The Ozarks are a unique region and most of them are in Missouri.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:13 AM

215 posts, read 283,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
T. Sweet tea, grits, fried chicken, canned green beans, potatoes and gravy, pork tenderloins and catfish predominate in the many, small restaurants. Accents and dialects are easily discernable and many are very southern as are colloquialisms.
Yer makin' me hungry. Got chicken fried steak to go with that?

Old 04-20-2017, 10:31 AM

237 posts, read 124,975 times
Though the Ozarks do have certain Southern cultural influences, Missouri is still considered a Midwestern state:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwestern_United_States

Having lived in SW MO for 16 years (15 in Joplin, one now in Springfield), and TN for 12, I can definitely say there is a big difference between the South proper, and the state of Missouri. The OP is from MS and TX. I wouldn't want to mislead her into thinking Springfield is much like the South. Joplin does have a little more of a Southern feel due to bordering AR and OK. But even then, it's not like TX or MS, which is where the OP is familiar.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:39 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The Ozarks are quite southern and it must be remembered that when the Civil War started the governor and many members of the Legislature wanted to join the Confederacy but were outnumbered, fled the Capitol and attempted to start another government loyal to the south.

We live in SW MO about five miles as the crow flies from the MO/AR border. Sweet tea, grits, fried chicken, canned green beans, potatoes and gravy, pork tenderloins and catfish predominate in the many, small restaurants. Accents and dialects are easily discernable and many are very southern as are colloquialisms.

In sum, SW MO is far more southern than Midwestern. The Ozarks are a unique region and most of them are in Missouri.

Have to agree my Ancestors from Missouri owned Slaves and Fought for the Confederacy.

I lived in Springfield until I went in the service at 17. Never seen a Black until I moved North.

But things have changed. Blacks for the most part are tolerated. Me and my wife work down there and we see a few blacks and have the most trouble with them as far as Counterfeiting, selling Drugs, Stealing and just causing trouble. Not trying to think this way we deal with far more Whites and don't have trouble. Just the way it is.

Some times just soon not deal with them but our Boss says their money spends just as good.

brushrunner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area