Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 12:56 PM

15 posts, read 64,212 times

Advertisements

I'm new to the Springfield area --- RVing fulltime and plan to make this my home base since I have friends here and my son and his family are in St. Louis.

Is there a food coop here? I'd love to find one. I have my own business, which I can operate from my RV. But I'm really trying to pull in my wheels and simplify my life so I have time for things I've put-off doing. I've always cooked from scratch --- and did find a great Farmer's Market since arriving -- plus the library (always great for me). Once I get my sewing machine out of storage and into the RV I'll check out the quilt shops.

In the meantime, I'm trying to find a food coop or groups interested in the Slow Food Movement; any other suggestions folks have would be wonderful.

I'm currently experimenting with lentils --- something I've always loved as they cook quickly. Suggestions and recipes welcome. I'm really enjoying all the friendly folks here in Springfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 05:46 AM

24 posts, read 85,014 times
Hi, welcome to Springfield
We used to have a good food coop, but it was bought out by a private owner and renamed. Then it went under. I am not aware of any others. There are a couple of stores in town with a good selection of bulk legumes, spices, rice, etc. Mama Jeans is on Sunshine and Campbell. They have good prices on bulk food and some organic produce as well. They also have a new location in the eco-friendly shopping center, but I haven't been there yet.
I am not sure about the slow-food movement. That term is new to me; I had to google it. You might check with the wellspring cafe. They seem to have an idea about what is going on with healthy food in Springfield, and it is also a great place to eat. They are across McDaniel st from the bus parking lot near the square. They are only open M-F for lunch.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:47 AM

Atkins Health Food (on Glenstone I think) used to have a great lunch counter as well, but I haven't been there in a while.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:35 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,277,465 times
Default Where was it?

[quote=Olivia Shanks;5150650]Hi, welcome to Springfield
We used to have a good food coop, but it was bought out by a private owner and renamed. Then it went under.

I wonder if you can tell me if the store you are talking about is the old community natural and bulk food store? It was in ratty looking building and not so easy to find. The people that ran it were terrrific. The advertising was word of mouth.

thanks

Old 09-08-2008, 08:13 PM

Sounds like the one, it was around forever. I don't remember where it was exactly; I think that it was in a neighborhood instead of a business district. The smell inside was warm and delicious. I felt healthier just breathing the air

Old 09-10-2008, 06:54 PM

23 posts, read 86,413 times
When I think food coop, I think of the ones where they sell you the "in season" crops and organic meats that they raise. There are several in Springfield area. Autumn Olive Farms 732-4122. Earth Mother Farms and Gardens 752-1014. Fassnight Creek Farms 865-4339. Millsap Farms 833-3842. Try these and see if it is what you are looking for.

Good luck
Monana

Old 09-28-2008, 01:35 PM

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I will check into all these options. Had found Mama Jeans and loved it. I'm really enjoying this area and fall is a great time to explore and get back into my cooking. Thanks again.

Fedora

Old 09-30-2008, 03:27 PM

879 posts, read 2,879,921 times
Question Could you define Food Co-Op?

Since there are different definitions for a food co-op could you explain which type your looking for? My defininition is something like a small grocery store where farmers and local producers sell their goods along with some of the standard items that are generally sold in bulk. Some of them require memberships.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:08 AM

Default Food Coop

My original definition of a food coop is a situation where s group of folks get together and buy in bulk. Then the individuals can purchase so much of these goods each month either at a reduced rate or by working so many hours in the facility packaging, labeling, delivering, etc. I belonged to a couple great ones over the years in Michigan and Colorado.

While living in SoCal for 17 years I determined they were different there. I belonged to one for a while where we pre-ordered from a catalog from Frontier and depending on the amount of the total order placed through Frontier (monthly) we got a certain discount. It was delivered on a certain day and we picked up our orders from the organizers late in the day.

I also frequented a lot of the whole food-type stores that sold in bulk, but I view those more as "health food stores" rather than as coops.

I'm probably mixing apples and oranges, but that's the way my mind sorts things. Of course, back when I started with coops we didn't have Costco and Sam's Club either. Since I first left that post, I've found a wonderful Farmer's Market at the Battlefield Mall and Mama Jean's --- which has a new store down here closer to where I live off South Glenstone. I miss having a local Trader Joe's since that has been my mainstay for so many things for so many years. But I'll stock up when I hit St. Louis.

And since I'm now by myself, I don't need the quantities of things I once did. But I do stock up on canned goods and it's the season to get back into baking, etc. AND,

I am self-employed and am now fulltiming in my RV --- so I have more time to devote to cooking and love preserving things and cooking for my friends. So I AM exploring what is referred to (my saavy friends tell me) as the Slow Food Movement. This movement purports to get back to using local foods and making things from scratch ---- now that I work at home, I'm able to do more of that --- which is what I grew up with (we lived in the country).

Yup --- more than you wanted to know --- but it's my answer and I'm stickin' to it. BTW, I love it here in Springfield (my son and his family live in St. Louis) and have decided to make this my "home base" from here on.

Fedora
wwww.cardinalpointva.com

Old 05-13-2009, 03:22 AM

2 posts, read 19,758 times
HI I am wanintg to move back to Missouri. was born there. any way as I was searching sites looking for a coop I saw this and wanted to make a sugestion if any one is interested. at
[url]http://www.oklahomafood.coop/otherstates.php[/url]

they have a list. Bob, the president and founder helps out people who want to start their own.
ours is producers and buyers working together and we have great stuff from all over the state. Hope it helps. NOT an okie

Last edited by rokedemiah; 05-13-2009 at 03:24 AM.. Reason: did not like all the extra words confusing the point i was trying to make
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area