Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 04:32 AM

41 posts, read 161,457 times

Advertisements

If you want great schools, great people, everything you need nearby, and beautiful countryside..go with Nixa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 5,037 times
Default An objective view of Ozark from a resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
In October we, wife and myself, are coming to Nixa and Ozark to look for a home to buy. I personally like Nixa because of the schools, so we will probably push ourselves for Nixa. We will see. Any advice from anyone about those areas?
Just out of curiosity, where are you moving from?
I have lived in Ozark for the past 12 years and am a high school student here. I do not know much about Nixa's school system, but I would assume it would be on an equal level of Ozark schools. Both towns are about the same size and have experienced tremendous growth in the past decade. I have a lot of special insight to the true nature of the schools since I have been a student here all my life. I will also talk about general aspects of Ozark.
Ozark is definitely a family town, there is no question about it. Most people commute to Springfield and a handful commute to Branson. Location is good given the proximity to both a decent-sized city and Table Rock Lake. Also, crime is almost non-existent here, and the people are generally nice and friendly. Despite the national downturn of the economy, Springfield-Branson metro has managed pretty well. Businesses are thriving here. Unemployment is low.
The recent growth has caused some problems, however. Ozark used to be considered a small town, but the line between neighboring Springfield and Ozark is growing more and more hazy. Ozark is becoming more of a suburb. Because roads have not been improved or extended, traffic can be horrendous during peak times, especially near Highway 65 that connects Ozark to Springfield. Also, taxes are higher in Christian County than in Greene County (Springfield), but fewer and not-as-high-quality public services are offered. For example, the Christian County Library is poorly funded and needs desperate attention. Christian County has the lowest books-per-capita ratio in the entire state. Also, the park is small and floods every year due to its location in the river valley of the Finley.
Ozark schools are remarkably average for the state. They receive good funding from the state, but they are comparable to other schools in the area. This funding, however, is not always used in the best ways. The school recently commissioned and completed a new $6 million football stadium for the high school, when class sizes top 30 students and MAP (Missouri Assessment Program) scores fall behind. Just beware, Ozark is extremely athletics-oriented, so sometimes academics suffer. Additionally, Ozark High School only graduates eighty percent of its students. Not stellar at all.
I hope I have provided you with fair, objective information. If you have any questions, feel free to post. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2009, 04:18 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,655,663 times
Cool You rock!

Welcome to the forum, Ben-ello!

If your classmates are anything like you are, then Ozark Schools must be above average! Your communication skills, including written, are excellent! I hope you plan to continue your education since you obviously have the intelligence to do well in school and go far in whatever work you choose to pursue!

I look forward to hearing more from you in the future!

MrsG

Old 01-19-2009, 05:26 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Nixa is newer, crowded and has horrific traffic problems in my humble opinion. I like Ozark because it is not has frenetic and there is space for famileis to grow. If you learn the side roads you can move around the area very easily. Branson traffic in the summer is a pain, but again, if you know the side roads you can avoid it. A good realtor can tell you more than I can.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:32 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Nixa is newer, crowded and has horrific traffic problems in my humble opinion. I like Ozark because it is not has frenetic and there is space for famileis to grow.
I know that everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I'd like for you to expand on your claims that Nixa is more crowded and has worse traffic than Ozark.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:26 PM

5 posts, read 12,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Well, my wife and I went and talked to our bank and they said that we would have no problem getting a loan because they said that we have excellent credit. That means that we are going to go ahead and take the trip to the southwestern part of MO and have a look around. We plan on staying a couple of weks for now, might make it a bit longer if we actually find something we would like to buy. See all of you in that part of MO next week sometime.
We are considering a move also. I have a few job offers, one at the University Rehab in Mt. Vernon (looking in Springfield, Ozark, Mt. Vernon, etc), Richmond, VA (Glen Allen, Chesterfield) and a couple of others.

I would like to know how your trip turned out, what you saw and what you decided. It would help me out greatly!

Thanks!

Old 03-17-2009, 03:53 PM

974 posts, read 1,587,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
I know that everyone is entitled to an opinion, but I'd like for you to expand on your claims that Nixa is more crowded and has worse traffic than Ozark.

I agree Snake. I have to drive through Nixa quite a bit, and sometimes I take 65. The traffic seems similar to myself. Although that is my opinionl

Old 03-17-2009, 03:54 PM

974 posts, read 1,587,633 times
Ben that was a great post. Well thought out, well written. And I also approve of how you managed to keep yourself unbiased in your telling. WTG, keep it up young man/woman.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:44 AM

226 posts, read 999,744 times
I'm from AZ and have my house up for sale now. My husband is retiring in Sept. and we plan to move to Nixa, Ozark area. We are planning a trip in Oct to see where we want to live. Az is becoming the next LA and we want out...... Looking for a better quality of life.for our family. I just hope our house sells and we can get out. Did hear that Nixa and Ozarks get tornadoes more then any other part of MO.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:27 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,926,999 times
Can't beat this area at all. We moved here from the LA area of CA and we absolutely love it. The kids do also. We do homeschool our kids though and I do own my own business. Nixa is where moved to and it is great. We are getting ready to go out the door for church this morning and let me tell you that the people are very friendly and accepting. I have to say that the only thing I find as funny in a way is in the Springfield News leader people argue with each other all of the time about religion and their perceived God and how he/sh is better and all of that. It gets comical sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area