Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 09:44 AM

7 posts, read 24,629 times

Advertisements

We have the opportunity to move to the Springfield area for my husband to attend police academy, or Hattieburg MS, or Sebring Florida. We looking for family friendly, low crime, and place the hires officers.... Please help us decide!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 06:20 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,096,787 times
Three totally different places!!!
Do you have family near any of these places? For most people, that would be a big factor.
What do you do? Is that a factor?
I don't know about hiring officers, but in general the Springfield area is family friendly, low crime, and low cost of living.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:02 PM

7 posts, read 24,629 times
Well I am a stay at home mom, I would have friends of the family in Branson. I heard that if didnt belong to a church around there, you wont fit in? We are Buddhist and vegans... Please tell me more about the area I have never been there, but we have been to overland park kansas is it similar? How are the seasons? Is there alot of rentals? We are form Florida so I sure it will be majorly different..

Old 05-29-2009, 10:28 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,941,362 times
Just thought I'd mention gently that moving to Sebring, Florida is not like moving to Louisiana...

From what I hear on the local news and from former LE here, the NOPD pays less than almost any other police department, but they will apparently accept any warm body that applies.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:20 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,429,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bproud View Post
I heard that if didnt belong to a church around there, you wont fit in?
That is simply not true.

Quote:
We are Buddhist and vegans...
Springfield is a relatively conservative area. There's nothing wrong with being a Buddhist vegan, but I wouldn't go out of my way to broadcast that to the world. You're not going to be attacked or ostracized (much) for your beliefs, but you certainly won't find a lot of others fitting into that niche.

I don't mean to sound like you should live in purgatory here, because that's not the case either. You simply won't find a large segment of Buddhist vegans in Springfield and even fewer who want to be told about the virtues of becoming a Buddhist vegan (not that you're trying to force your views on anyone).

I have absolutely no idea about life in either of the other locations that you mentioned, so hopefully others can chime in there for you. If you have any more specific questions to ask about Springfield, please fire away.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:22 PM

10 posts, read 42,601 times
Default Moved from Cali and lived in FLorida

Missouri - Dharmaweb
I'm sure you have probablly found this site already. I have found people interested in religion outside on Christianity, but not enough to have a church. There is also The School Of Metaphyics, but I was not really impressed. We moved here 4 yrs ago, My husband is a Marine and was Stationed to Ft.Leonard Wood, I became a Real Estate Agent(not the best choice with the economical timing). It is easy enough to find yourself a home with acerage to be whoever you want. Easy to make your organic garden, a lot of wildlife, it is the most peacfull place I have ever lived. Nicole I believe if you are centered and happy with yourself, then you will be happy wherever you find to be home. Good Luck.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 05-31-2009 at 08:03 PM..

Old 06-03-2009, 05:42 PM

5 posts, read 10,345 times
Smile Forsyth

Quote:
We have the opportunity to move to the Springfield area for my husband to attend police academy, or Hattieburg MS, or Sebring Florida. We looking for family friendly, low crime, and place the hires officers.... Please help us decide!!!!
FORSYTH, is the Taney County seat, Sherriff and State Police also New state of art 250 rm Jail and court house. Great schools and 15 min to Branson. Springfield is 40 min drive.

Last edited by CHIPANDGEO; 06-03-2009 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: Add Springfield.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:59 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times
Quote:
we have been to overland park kansas is it similar? ..
NO! Southern Missouri is not at all like Overland Park! More of a laid back, more isolated, country sort of feel in southern Missouri, more conservative values (although Overland Park would be conservative too in the grand scheme of things, but southern Missouri much more so). Buddhist vegan you could get by with in Overland Park. In southern Missouri they'd think you were weird.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:01 PM

5 posts, read 18,670 times
It depend on what the person is looking for in the city. I lived here all but 2 years of my life and I have seen the very worst and I probably have seen the very best. It all depends on the situation you come from. I believe that Springfield is a great place to live if you have already experienced a lot of what else the world has to offer. If you plan to live in Springfield it is good to already have a job that you want because there is not as much opportunity here as there is in other cities. There is a lot of crime happening here but the crime is not as noticeable and doesn't turn people away from the city as much as job opportunities, bad cultural diversity, and bad high school football in the past few years. The higher crime areas of the city have very little more crimes than the lower crime areas in the city. It is pretty much diffused everywhere if you live within city limits. Police just be more skeptical in certain areas such as the southeast, northeast, northwest, central and west central areas. If you come from and urban setting or urban culture, you will be suprised of how small a town it feels like despite the population. It doesn't have any urban music stations. It does have some of the best chinese places tho. If you a police officer you gon love it here, but I got family in Orlando and I been down there a lot and If I was U I'd move to Florida, especially if u got kids playing sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area