Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2010, 11:52 PM

55 posts, read 251,341 times

Advertisements

Hi, Just got here to St. George ! LOVE it !! But as any of you know moving to a new area, its hard to find all of the essentials you need so I could use some recommendations on the following:

*Good doctors (pediatrician, as well as a GP (adults)
*Good dentists (for kids or adults) - can be different people
*Good accupuncturist
*Grocery shopping
*Restaurants you recommend
*Bank (free checking account)
*Auto repair place
*Good car wash place
*Fun places to take the kids
*Who you recommend as an internet provider
*Wireless (cell) provider

I am sure I am forgetting something here - so if you think of anything in addition to this list, please by all means add it. I really would appreciate any advice on these. Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 12:26 PM

239 posts, read 953,646 times
Welcome to Southern Utah! Sorry i can't help you much, I do all my "stuff" in Cedar City!
Not a lot of St.George folks on this board, so be patient and check back.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:43 AM

56 posts, read 231,410 times
Default What I use.

Haven't needed a Dr. yet.

Had my teeth deep cleaned very inexpensively through Dixie State College. One of the girls ran an ad in Craigslist needing someone who hadn't had a cleaning in a while.

Grocery shopping. I normally go to Albertson's on Sunset Blvd. because it's the closest to me. Lin's is across the street and generally a little busier. Smith's on Main and Bluff is a bigger store than either of those, and seems to have a lot of sales. Harmon's over on River seems like the nicest grocery store I have been in here. Super Wal-Mart in Bloomington hills is nicer than the one in Washington, and probably has the best values unless you are shopping for sale items.

The Gun Barrel Steak House was really great, best steak of my life I had there. Cafe Rio for some good fast Mexican food. Can't go wrong with Cracker Barrel, or Bear Claw Cafe for breakfast.

I use Wells Fargo, it's got free checking with a required min. balance. I think $1k at all times joined for checking and savings, and you do have to have both? I think? The locals seem to prefer the credit unions, but I'm not sure what kind of services they have.

For kids I would think the dinosaur museum, there was an ice skating rink behind the library downtown that I think is still there, the Sand Hollow Swimming Pool in Santa Clara, any of the lakes (Gunlock, Sand Hollow, or Quail Res.). That makes me think that a water slide park might do well here?

I have been more than happy with Baja Broadband as my ISP. I don't have any other choices in Ivins. I've got the slowest cable speed, and it's good enough for me.

T-Mobile has been great too. I always have five bars in my house, and I haven't had any problems using the phone anywhere around town. (I rarely, rarely use my phone though.)

(I've only been here since December..........so I'm no expert on the area :-) just sharing what I've seen so far.)

Old 06-24-2010, 05:07 PM

107 posts, read 327,133 times
Join Costco. Best Gas prices on good gasoline, good food selection.

Join a Credit Union... if you want free checking. There are several to choose from.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:39 AM

99 posts, read 318,253 times
State Bank of Southern Utah is good. Smiths has good prices on meats. Walmart, Costco for everything else. Skyview Tech for internet is great. The Goodyear auto place on the end of Sunset right before Santa Clara is good. Ask for Joe. Wells Fargo lost my downpayment checks I had deposited for my new house and then a week later they lost my paycheck I deposited in their atm machine..To top it off a week later i ordered more checks and they charged me for them after all the trouble and almost losing my bid on the house. I pulled my money out and went to SBSU. Then Wells Fargo didnt completely close my account and two months later tried to say I owe them money because my savings and checking accounts went below $50. Well thats because I closed my accounts. A good mattress and furniture place is The Mattress Store on Sunset Blvd.

Anything else let me know...pet info, blue clay info etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George