Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 08:18 AM

52 posts, read 332,748 times

Advertisements

I Am Hoping Someone In The Area Of St. George Has Had An Experience With Tuacahn High School. I Am Moving To The Area And I Plan On Having My Daughter Apply. She Is A Theater Nut So I Figure It Would Be A Good Fit. How Are The Academics? Would You Happen To Know Where Most Of The Graduates Are Headed For College? I Thought I Read On Their Web Site That They Are A College Prep School. Any Insight Would Be Wonderful!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 07:08 PM

28 posts, read 199,909 times
A quick search found this Welcome to Tuacahn High School for the Performing Arts

Old 03-13-2008, 06:07 PM

6 posts, read 30,901 times
My sister went to Tuacahn when it first opened up, and didn't think too much of it.. but I know a girl who is just about to graduate, and I'm telling you, she's a super smart kid and she seems to like it. I had a friend a few years back who graduated from there, and she was able to raise her GPA from like a 2.8 I think to a 3.4 or something so she could get into U of U. She got accepted to the school, but not into the dance program, and went to a smaller college instead.

The social scene is a little different from a traditional school - there are, for instance, no sports teams, but they tend to have their dances around the same time that the public schools do. There are very few straight boys that attend though - I do know of some, but from what I understand the majority tend to be gay. My friend that attended was very religious and didn't have a problem with it though, so it's probably not an issue.

I wish I could tell you more! The school itself is very very beautiful, and your daughter will likely meet many amazing people there.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:31 PM

52 posts, read 332,748 times
Wink Tuahcahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiliyah View Post
My sister went to Tuacahn when it first opened up, and didn't think too much of it.. but I know a girl who is just about to graduate, and I'm telling you, she's a super smart kid and she seems to like it. I had a friend a few years back who graduated from there, and she was able to raise her GPA from like a 2.8 I think to a 3.4 or something so she could get into U of U. She got accepted to the school, but not into the dance program, and went to a smaller college instead.

The social scene is a little different from a traditional school - there are, for instance, no sports teams, but they tend to have their dances around the same time that the public schools do. There are very few straight boys that attend though - I do know of some, but from what I understand the majority tend to be gay. My friend that attended was very religious and didn't have a problem with it though, so it's probably not an issue.

I wish I could tell you more! The school itself is very very beautiful, and your daughter will likely meet many amazing people there.
Thank you for your reply!! Sounds like a perfect setting for a daughter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We won't have to worry about dating perhaps!!!!

Old 04-09-2008, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 6,844 times
Hello! I am a graduate from THS, went there 4 years and LOVED it. I was there for technical theater, and got opportunities I never would have gotten elsewhere. I got an internship at Tuacahn Center for the Arts, and worked 4 seasons, made a lot of money, and learned a ton. The teachers are amazing, admin is ok, and the small class size was fantastic. I knew everyone in my class by name, and most the other classes too. There are a lot of really talented kids there, and a handful who are just there because they couldn't hack it at there public school. When I was there, the boy to girl ratio was about 2 girls to every boy, and contrary to what everyone and their dog thinks, most the guys are not gay. There was two out of 50 or 60 boys. Most of my fellow classmates went to college afterwards, a bunch to northern utah, and a few out of state. I was able to get a 3.5 because teachers were able to help one on one when I didnt understand (thanks mrs hall and mr webb!!) Ill sum it up like this, I loved it despite its few problems, and would do it again in a heartbeat. Hope this helps.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 6,256 times
Hi, I'm moving into the area too and have a 16 year old daughter looking at Tuacahn HS. We are LDS and wondered if there are many LDS kids who choose to attend this school and how they participate in Seminary? Any feedback is welcome. Thank you.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 6,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswuk View Post
Hi, I'm moving into the area too and have a 16 year old daughter looking at Tuacahn HS. We are LDS and wondered if there are many LDS kids who choose to attend this school and how they participate in Seminary? Any feedback is welcome. Thank you.
THS is a fantastic school. My son is currently a sophmore. We moved to St. George so that he could attend the school, and do not regret it. There are many LDS kids who attend, and there is a seminary building that is a short walk away from the high school building. They can attend early morning seminary, or have release time during the day.

There are many rumors regarding boys enrolled are mostly gay, but we haven't found that to be true at all.....so it is definitely a rumor. There are probably more gay students at other public schools.

The faculty and admin are fantastic. Come check it out! Your daughter can shadow one of the students throughout the day. School is out on May 20th, so you'd better hurry!

Old 06-09-2009, 07:13 AM

13 posts, read 51,723 times
Default Tuacahn

I am new to the area & do not have children. However, this past Sat I attended the market at Tuacahn. There were 2 young ladies singing that were quite talented & are about to enter their senior year there. One in particular, a soprano, demonstrated her opera talent & I predict she will go far. From what I understand, this school helps these kids refine their talent as well as provide an excellent education.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 9,744 times
I attended Tuachan and i loved the schooling aspects of it some of the teachers were not that great [mod] rude [/mod]. I didnt like the students there i was a complete outcast because i was not LDS and not a part of the mormon community so i was picked on quite a bit. But if you are LDS or believe in Jesus then this would be a great school and most of the guys when i was there were not gay about 2 or 3 and dating was common in that school but when i went i guess it was a bad group of kids there. LOL but its a great school to exercise your talent and show what you are worth and hopefully the teachers agree with your style

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-13-2010 at 07:09 PM..

Old 08-09-2010, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 9,744 times
Why is being gay such a big deal? i dont understand this....... i was raised by lesbian parents and i turned out fine. the entire time i lived in southern utah i was made fun of, beaten and utterly humiliated because i was Jewish and had homosexual parents..... I thought that the LDS community was understanding about discrimination because of your religions history. but NO its hard to ever want to come back to utah........ BEING DIFFERENT MAKES YOU UNIQUE AND THE MORE UNIQUE YOU ARE THE MORE INTERESTING YOU ARE TO THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Close-minded people will go no where in life just stuck in the same small world in lonely utah with your multiple wives millions of children per family and poor sense of your surrounding states and their laws!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George