Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 10:55 AM

390 posts, read 756,748 times

Advertisements

O.K, here's the facts, not single personal experience.

- St. George is predominately LDS. Last checked, I think 53%. You will see the most LDS churches here as anywhere I have been in this population. Other churches exist, however only 1 of each.

- Yes taxes are lower here (even than Nv.)

- Basic travel time through town is not bad, (maybe 30mph?) but we do have many events here...Ironman, Senior Games, soccer games etc. This makes traffic kinda congested ....with tourists that aren't paying attention.

- Water, who knows, it's growing here and it may be a problem in the future. The tap water isn't the best.

- Air quality is excellent no big factories, and we have virtually no smog unlike Salt Lake City.

You might want to look at neighborhoods that you like and walk around asking questions of people that live in that neck of the woods. i.e. do you like living here? Are there problems with this HOA? What restrictions does this community have? example can I do simple automotive stuff in my garage, or is it restricted? Parking? Can overnight guests park in front of house?

- Sales tax is only 6.35% in Washington County, but food is taxed at lower rate.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 05:17 PM

317 posts, read 653,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
This

If Armageddon is your concern, St George is just a short direct hop on the i-15 from Las Vegas. You probably will want your bunker to be somewhere less accessible.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:49 PM

335 posts, read 518,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarite View Post
If Armageddon is your concern, St George is just a short direct hop on the i-15 from Las Vegas. You probably will want your bunker to be somewhere less accessible.
Au contraire mon petit mouton, 120+ miles is quite far enough away from Vegas to filter feral miscreants that would have great difficulty merging into the community of a unified culture.

Moreover, it's not Armageddon that most of us aging self-sufficient citizens have to prepare for, it's the inevitable implosion of the Welfare/Sanctuary State, which is actually located much further past Vegas

Although, good people did receive the unexpected blessing of extra time in 2016, ultimately many areas will still become unihabitable for normal, responsible folk with 10-15 years time.

That is unless spiritual sanity returns to the electorate before then, and other nasty demographic shifts are prevented from manifesting.

Municipal functions like WATER are a major variable to consider...

FWFS

Old 03-17-2018, 09:37 PM

317 posts, read 653,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz901 View Post
Au contraire mon petit mouton, 120+ miles is quite far enough away from Vegas to filter feral miscreants that would have great difficulty merging into the community of a unified culture.

Moreover, it's not Armageddon that most of us aging self-sufficient citizens have to prepare for, it's the inevitable implosion of the Welfare/Sanctuary State, which is actually located much further past Vegas

Although, good people did receive the unexpected blessing of extra time in 2016, ultimately many areas will still become unihabitable for normal, responsible folk with 10-15 years time.

That is unless spiritual sanity returns to the electorate before then, and other nasty demographic shifts are prevented from manifesting.

FWFS
Do you plan to set up a defensive roadblock on the i-15 and stop traffic, or do you plan to just shoot brown people on sight?

Old 03-17-2018, 11:20 PM

335 posts, read 518,442 times
I normally don't respond to posts that are clearly baiting, but for the benefit of non-trolls that may read this thread, I shall clarify:

Quote:
Do you plan to set up a defensive roadblock on the i-15 and stop traffic
Only the military and/or law enforcement are authorized, in times of needs, to establish roadblocks.

Quote:
or do you plan to just shoot brown people on sight?
Race, creed and/or religion has nothing to do with being a normal, law-abiding, AMERICAN citizen...

Nice try playing the race card though

Oh, and if it comes down to citizens shooting, it's already over.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:14 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,131,718 times
Quote:

Old 03-18-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz901 View Post

FWFS

Old 03-18-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Do you plan to set up a defensive roadblock on the i-15 and stop traffic, or do you plan to just shoot brown people on sight?
He said multiculturalism. Why is the left obsessed with race?

Old 03-20-2018, 08:39 AM

58 posts, read 76,725 times
FWIW I'm flying in to St George area early Sept, I'll post any opinions on lifestyle there though it would be a single sample and only 4 days. Sept 3 it still should be 100+ so i'll experience the high temps, I will look to hike some trails, eat at local establishments, and maybe try to strike up a conversation with locals while wearing tie dye (chuckle). Anything to get an honest response and feeling how difficult it might be fitting in from across this fine country. As a motorcycle enthusiast, I have seen about everything nature has to offer in the northeast, time for some new adventures before I close my eyes for the last time. Looking forward to it.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:13 PM

47 posts, read 49,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maherm06 View Post
FWIW I'm flying in to St George area early Sept, I'll post any opinions on lifestyle there though it would be a single sample and only 4 days. Sept 3 it still should be 100+ so i'll experience the high temps, I will look to hike some trails, eat at local establishments, and maybe try to strike up a conversation with locals while wearing tie dye (chuckle). Anything to get an honest response and feeling how difficult it might be fitting in from across this fine country. As a motorcycle enthusiast, I have seen about everything nature has to offer in the northeast, time for some new adventures before I close my eyes for the last time. Looking forward to it.
I am not positive but I thought you were "sold" on Mesquite. What happened? I, too, have been "researching" a possible relo to either St. George or Mesquite. Can't wait to get out there and see for myself. Don't care much for all the LDS negative comments. Don't care much about religion in general. Live and let live is good enough for me, I just want to enjoy what years I have left. I am retired milspec, into pickleball bigtime, and love the outdoors. Also like great food and fun shopping now and then like Nordstroms, Saks, etc. Hate to think I would have to drive all the way to Vegas to get a good meal and to shop with my wife. Trying to get the priorities in the proper order. Weather, safety, affordability, quality healthcare, pickleball, tennis, trail walking, quality groceries available.... Gotta go see for myself. One man's ceiling is another man's floor!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George