Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 08:32 AM

390 posts, read 755,991 times

Advertisements

We're getting more people that aren't the good ole boys here. Meaning they controlled politics and who got certain licensing etc. (Olive Garden almost didn't open because they couldn't get liquor license so they said fine we will go elsewhere and you will lose revenue for city).Good ole boys were "saving" us from evils of booze. Guess what? We have Olive Garden, funny how money changes the view ... Should never have happened. Many stores here were not open on Sunday, now with big box stores...Target, Walmart, Loews, Home Depot, things are changing. Not everyone is in church all day Sunday..which was the case about 15 years ago. Also many restaurants were closed on Sunday that are now open if they want to compete and they serve alcohol. Still nice place here, but changing with acceptance of different religions and culture has begun with influx of California retirees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 10:40 AM

148 posts, read 459,638 times
And coffee was hard to find!

Old 02-13-2018, 12:20 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,122,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoliver View Post
We're getting more people that aren't the good ole boys here. Meaning they controlled politics and who got certain licensing etc. (Olive Garden almost didn't open because they couldn't get liquor license so they said fine we will go elsewhere and you will lose revenue for city).Good ole boys were "saving" us from evils of booze. Guess what? We have Olive Garden, funny how money changes the view ... Should never have happened. Many stores here were not open on Sunday, now with big box stores...Target, Walmart, Loews, Home Depot, things are changing. Not everyone is in church all day Sunday..which was the case about 15 years ago. Also many restaurants were closed on Sunday that are now open if they want to compete and they serve alcohol. Still nice place here, but changing with acceptance of different religions and culture has begun with influx of California retirees.
Ok. This still isn't the liberal lunatic version of "diversity". I bet the vast majority of those californians are conservativeish refugees

Old 02-14-2018, 12:26 PM

317 posts, read 652,522 times
As I have said before, you could not pay me to live in St. George.

Hopefully none of you will be in for some rude and potentially expensive awakenings. But at least you can't say you weren't warned.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:47 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,483,029 times
westcoastforme, how about you 'cool it' until you actually move to STG. Then you will see first hand what day to day living is like. Overall, it is a gorgeous area and nice place to live. But there are definite quirks that need fixing. And luckily, with all the new people moving there, they are.

Many many locals in Southern Utah area are opposed to growth and population increase in the area. But I for one am extremely happy to see new residents from all walks of life join the community. I agree with cedarite, KarenSG, kcoliver.

The only time you can actually drive around in peace without being bumper to bumper in STG is on SUNDAYS, when everyone is at home or at church.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
westcoastforme, how about you 'cool it' until you actually move to STG. Then you will see first hand what day to day living is like. Overall, it is a gorgeous area and nice place to live. But there are definite quirks that need fixing. And luckily, with all the new people moving there, they are.

Many many locals in Southern Utah area are opposed to growth and population increase in the area. But I for one am extremely happy to see new residents from all walks of life join the community. I agree with cedarite, KarenSG, kcoliver.

The only time you can actually drive around in peace without being bumper to bumper in STG is on SUNDAYS, when everyone is at home or at church.
Are there several square miles of homes filled with illegals living 20 people to a 4 bedroom house?

Gang banger shootings often?

Pothole filled roads?

Tons of they them their and Z binary gender types?

Constant corrupt politicians going to jail?

50+ inches of snow in the winter?

MASSIVE amount of illegals and others on welfare? Illegals clogging up roads and hospitals?

Old 02-14-2018, 08:13 PM

I find it hard to believe its bumper to bumper except sunday....

Have you ever been in Chicago LA or Atlanta traffic?

Old 02-15-2018, 06:40 AM

390 posts, read 755,991 times
Well, westcoatforme, you will see first hand traffic...no it's not Chicago La or Atlanta, but we aren't that big. What happens here is you have very old (80 plus) driving .... they have been here since there was only 3 stop lights in town. Now we have the young (18 to 26 year olds), that think they need to go 0 to 60 as fast as they can (yes, and they are texting or on the phone). Yep beautiful area but it DOES have illegals. Sundays are wonderful here and you can shop without crowds in places like Costco. For people that don't drive, the buses don't run on Sunday. Better than Chicago? Oh yeah, better than LA, oh yeah. But don't expect it to be Camelot.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:07 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,859,918 times
Quote:
Many stores here were not open on Sunday, now with big box stores...Target, Walmart, Loews, Home Depot, things are changing. Not everyone is in church all day Sunday..which was the case about 15 years ago.
Thinking about this statement makes me wonder ...

If it was so that nobody cared about stores being open on Sundays before, then how many people, visiting that business, does a business need, that day, in order to decide to open up on Sundays?

Are there that many non-Mormons in Saint George to fill that quota?
Or does that mean even Mormons are visiting that store on Sundays?

<<Not everyone is in church all day Sunday..which was the case about 15 years ago.>>
OK, that implies, 15 years ago, everybody was in church (Mormons and churchy going non Mormons)

Are there really that many Non-Mormons, non-Churchy going ones, in Saint George?

Makes me wonder if there is more change in Saint George than we can think of?

I often eat at an "All you can eat" buffet, on a Sunday. I always wonder why some patrons dress up to go eat in an all you eat buffet?

A long time ago we used to have the notion to shop for groceries on Sunday, because supposedly the Mormons would not be there ...
Go try that today! NO cigar for you kiddo! Just as busy as on a Monday or Tuesday!

Old 02-15-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Well, westcoatforme, you will see first hand traffic...no it's not Chicago La or Atlanta, but we aren't that big. What happens here is you have very old (80 plus) driving .... they have been here since there was only 3 stop lights in town. Now we have the young (18 to 26 year olds), that think they need to go 0 to 60 as fast as they can (yes, and they are texting or on the phone). Yep beautiful area but it DOES have illegals. Sundays are wonderful here and you can shop without crowds in places like Costco. For people that don't drive, the buses don't run on Sunday. Better than Chicago? Oh yeah, better than LA, oh yeah. But don't expect it to be Camelot.
A little traffic doesn't bother me. Theres old people and young people driving everywhere. I'm sure north Dakota has some "illegals" but not 3 million like CA or 600k like IL.

St George sounds pretty darn good. No gang bangers. Small illegal immigrant population. Barely any snow. Great weather. Nice roads. None of the 867 gender types. Conservative views.

Last edited by westcoastforme; 02-15-2018 at 03:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George