Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 09:14 AM

57 posts, read 147,961 times

Advertisements

I moved to STL in July, and have been VERY perplexed by the changes in gas prices here. Here's what I've noticed seems to be the trend. Gas prices drop about 1 or 2 cents at a time for a week or two, and then they shoot up 20 cents (or more!) in a single day. In the last couple of weeks, I've been watching the gas stations on my way to work gradually creep down to 2.48...and then yesterday on my way HOME from work, they had all shot up to 2.69. Granted, I've only got four months of St. Louis gas prices under my belt, but this kind of large change seems to be more the norm than the exception.

I've lived in Pennsylvania and New York for my entire (driving) life, and this just doesn't happen in those states. Yes, there will be particular times when the gas prices shoot up 10-15 cents in a day (usually right before a holiday weekend, beginning of summer, etc), but it doesn't happen as a regular course.

Is this the norm for St. Louis? Or has it been an exceptionally unstable 4-month period that I've been witnessing? (Even at 2.69, it's still roughly 30 cents cheaper than it was where I moved from, so I can't really complain...but it's very odd to me.)

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 10:11 AM

105 posts, read 309,531 times
It is the norm on the IL side. Here gas drops 1-2 pennies at a time, then usually on tuesday afternoon, the weekly jump takes place. A lot of the times, it is a 15-20 cent increase. This week was different. The waited until Wednesday to jump 22 cents.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:04 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
been like that for a LONG time ...... just an informal observation by me.... gas prices will USUALLY do their jump up in the late morning to early afternoon of mondays, tuesdays or thursdays...... although this week, it happened on wednesday......

Old 10-28-2010, 12:52 PM

Wow...good to know! And thanks for the tips on the days when I should watch for it -- that'll help me time my fill-ups in the future.

Any idea why it's this way? Again, my geographical background is somewhat limited (eastern US my entire life) -- is this a "midwest thing?" Why does it change so dramatically?

Old 10-28-2010, 01:06 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
I knew a friend who worked at a gas station who was allowed to change the price of gas up or down something like 3 cents whenever he wanted just to spur business, so my guess is that the little fluctuations you see aren't part of a broader pricing structure and don't necessarily play out around the metro (You don't see all Quik trip's raise their price 2 cents for example) ie. stations around the metro will vary based on their immediate, local competition)

Most of the time when gas goes up or down based on a larger corporate pricing structure it's by a minimum of a dime. Those are those bigger swings you see of 10-20 cents.

Maybe it's a midwest thing, i'm not in a position to know given all the cities I've lived in and driven in extensively have been midwestern, but I'm wondering why it matters, I guess? Even if you have a 20-gallon gas tank, a difference of three cents will still only cost you 60 cents more per fill up.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:01 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,599,177 times
St. Louis routinely has the among the cheapest gas prices in the country. I wouldn't complain.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:58 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I knew a friend who worked at a gas station who was allowed to change the price of gas up or down something like 3 cents whenever he wanted just to spur business, so my guess is that the little fluctuations you see aren't part of a broader pricing structure and don't necessarily play out around the metro (You don't see all Quik trip's raise their price 2 cents for example) ie. stations around the metro will vary based on their immediate, local competition)

Most of the time when gas goes up or down based on a larger corporate pricing structure it's by a minimum of a dime. Those are those bigger swings you see of 10-20 cents.

Maybe it's a midwest thing, i'm not in a position to know given all the cities I've lived in and driven in extensively have been midwestern, but I'm wondering why it matters, I guess? Even if you have a 20-gallon gas tank, a difference of three cents will still only cost you 60 cents more per fill up.

yeah... but that same 20 gallon tank will cost you $4 more for each $.20 increase.and $5 more for each $.25 increase..... and i am starting to see the $.02 and $.03 drops are taking longer to occur.... remember $4 per gallon?? that crept up with the $.20-$.25 increases followed by $.02 and $.03 decreases..... but the decreases never got the price back to where it was at the last increase before the next $.20-$.25 increase.....

Old 11-01-2010, 02:56 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
yeah... but that same 20 gallon tank will cost you $4 more for each $.20 increase.and $5 more for each $.25 increase..... and i am starting to see the $.02 and $.03 drops are taking longer to occur.... remember $4 per gallon?? that crept up with the $.20-$.25 increases followed by $.02 and $.03 decreases..... but the decreases never got the price back to where it was at the last increase before the next $.20-$.25 increase.....
Oh I totally understand that, but natonwide prices have been creeping up too. It's those little fluctuations that imo aren't much worth concerning oneself over.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:05 AM

Yeah, I'm not concerned about the 2 and 3 cent fluctuations. It's the relative unpredictability (to my observation, at least) of when the 20 cent increase will occur. Even though some people have said here that they usually occur at the beginning of the week, it occurred on a Wednesday a couple weeks ago, and on Thursday this week (yesterday). Maybe the trend of when that occurs is changing, too.

And of course, they're rising everywhere. Even in my original post I said that I just moved here from upstate NY, where I would have been thrilled to find a gas price below $2.90, so I'm finding it hard to complain. Just trying to figure out the system here, since I've never encountered this kind of price change as the norm.

Thanks for your replies, everyone!

Old 11-12-2010, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,077 times
Well, enjoy the lower gas prices in this part of the country. I drive over a 300 mile radius from the city, and the prices in St. Louis City and County are the best. The price will fall about 1 to 2 cents a day for no more than 2 weeks. After that expect a 15 to 20 cent upward swing.

The cause is the Wood River Refinery. ALL local gas comes from that location. The proprietary additive (i.e. Shell V-Power, QT, Mobil, etc. .) is added later. Every couple of week, the refinery has a slow production day for a variety of reasons. The place runs at about 98% capacity all of the time. Any little hiccup will cause a price spike. Since I drive between 35,000 to 40,000 miles a year, every penny does matter to me. Expect a gas spike around Nov. 23rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis