Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:30 AM

29 posts, read 55,704 times

Advertisements

^I agree. While ONSL is a good start for that area, I think we should focus on the south side, especially areas that only recently started to decline into bad neighborhoods. It'd be easier, cheaper, and more successful to rehab parts of the south side since the area is still mostly mixed income levels. The north side will be a looooonnnngggg project compared to the south side. There's too much to get done for more of those neighborhoods to be remotely desireable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,655 times
Default Is St.Ann Area considered dangerous to live in

Hello

Please advise if St.Ann area dangerous to live in Stl.

Regads
Shaxi

Old 12-29-2010, 01:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,655 times
Default Is St.Ann area considered dangerous

Hello

Is St.Ann Area considered dangerous to live in STL ?

Regards
S

Old 12-29-2010, 02:20 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,661,603 times
No, St. Ann is not dangerous. It's also not wildly desirable or anything either -- just a solidly middle to lower-middle class area. The decline of Northwest Plaza mall certainly hasn't done the town any favors.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:33 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,031,701 times
Hey, a thread that turned towards my area. lol. I wouldn't call St. Ann a dangerous area, but it is (as stated) solidly middle class, with lots of lower middle class folks too. Like stated, it's not very desirable with the exception of it's cheap housing stock, and closeness to the interstates. All in all, i think it has some potential, but i doubt it'll be realized anytime soon. The end of Northwest Plaza has left a large empty shell, and the recent decision to move the Bridgeton/St. Ann Walmart further into Bridgeton won't help matters either, and might leave another strip mall nearly abandoned. Hopefully something is able to move into that nearly deserted strip mall to fill the void left by Walmart. All in all, the parks are nice, they have an outdoor swimming pool/kiddie water park, an indoor swimming pool (which was closed last last season to save $$, might reopen this year, we'll see), and some local restaurants which are pretty good. Hopefully the Bridgeton/Maryland Heights area will help improve St. Ann, as opposed to the Breckenridge Hills side bringing it down....Improvements in Breckenridge Hills would benefit both St. Ann and Overland alike, maybe that's where i should focus some energy.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:00 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,031,701 times
Hey, decided to drive through ONSL on my way home from work today...in all honesty, the area surrounding St. Louis Ave, 14th street, etc looks pretty good...All the "neglected" homes i saw close to that area all had signs on them now mentioning the rejuvenation efforts. Driving down N Florissant to get back on I-70 Westbound however left a little to be desired....

Old 12-30-2010, 03:22 PM

I'm less familiar with the northside chunk of the north/south metro proposal. Does anyone here know if it will it go through ONSL? I'd consider houses there now if I didn't feel like I'd be a little cut off from the more popular city hoods I frequent. Even in Wicker Park in Chicago (on the near northwest side) we felt a little separated from all the northside action.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 11,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I'm less familiar with the northside chunk of the north/south metro proposal. Does anyone here know if it will it go through ONSL? I'd consider houses there now if I didn't feel like I'd be a little cut off from the more popular city hoods I frequent.
The proposed North extension of MetroLink is supposed to run up N. 14th Street out of downtown then up North Florissant (which is the western border of Old North St. Louis) to Natural Bridge and then northwestward from there. This plan also calls for a station at St. Louis Avenue, just two very short blocks west of Crown Candy and Crown Square. Who knows when all of this will be built, but this extension would also send MetroLink south from Downtown through or alongside some south side neighborhoods, such as Lafayette Square and Benton Park.

See attached map from East-West Gateway.
Attached Thumbnails
St. Louis Incorrectly Rated America's Most Dangerous City-metrolinkproposedexpansionplansmap.png  

Old 01-05-2011, 07:28 AM

^Thank you for the info!

Old 05-29-2011, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,807 times
most of the Crime is in North City in STL. There are some bad patches in South City. I live in U-City and I always try to stay south of Delmar / Olive Streets.

They are definitely gentrifying and things are getting better here. The County and the City should be combined and should be looked at as a whole. STL probably won't even be close to the most dangerous. Basically if you stay away from some rough patches, the possibility of random acts of violence decrease dramatically
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis