Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 10:07 AM

7 posts, read 12,939 times

Advertisements

Im moving to South City soon and I was originally set on Tower Grove, but I figure i should look into other neighboorhoods. Wanted to know about soulard area, how far reaching it is. I mean, is there a street or an area that generally is a cut off from the "nice" area into not so nice areas? Same with Benton Park. Alot of apartments Im finding seem to be surrounded by boarded up windowed buildings. That cant be promising!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 10:20 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,599,177 times
Soulard is great. Seems to me the farther north you go the nicer. I don't know of any specific streets to avoid in soulard.

I love the Benton Park area surrounding Benton Park Cafe/Gus's Pretzels, Blues City Deli, And the acid trip that is Venice Cafe. I also like the areas along Cherokee from the Lemp and Denil mansions west to Jefferson.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:26 AM

Awesome. Any knowledge of McKinley Heights? Or is this essentially soulard?

Old 08-10-2011, 11:35 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,574 times
McKinley Heights is more up and coming but it is surrounded by good, stable neighborhoods. I wouldn't have any hesitation about living there, and in fact it can be quite a bit cheaper than Soulard/Lafayette Square/Benton Park while still being super close to all those neighborhoods have to offer.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:48 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
McKinley Heights is more up and coming but it is surrounded by good, stable neighborhoods. I wouldn't have any hesitation about living there, and in fact it can be quite a bit cheaper than Soulard/Lafayette Square/Benton Park while still being super close to all those neighborhoods have to offer.
Agree with Boom about McKinley Heights. It's surrounded by solid neighborhoods and I consider it pretty safe, if not a bit dull.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LannyAD View Post
Im moving to South City soon and I was originally set on Tower Grove, but I figure i should look into other neighboorhoods. Wanted to know about soulard area, how far reaching it is. I mean, is there a street or an area that generally is a cut off from the "nice" area into not so nice areas? Same with Benton Park. Alot of apartments Im finding seem to be surrounded by boarded up windowed buildings. That cant be promising!
West of Jefferson is Benton Park West and it has a fairly long way to go still. East of Jefferson, however, you likely won't see much boarded up -- 10 years ago was a mighty different story though.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:36 AM

You guys are a helpful bunch. WHat about north of Tower Grove Park, the Shaw neighborhood? Same question: Safe yet dull or Shaky yet fun?

Old 08-16-2011, 09:51 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,574 times
Shaw is great...some of the finest architecture in the city for sure. There are some sketch blocks but I'd say most blocks are pretty good, especially closer to Grand and Magnolia. A few nice spots there like Sasha's on Shaw and Sweet Art, but yes the neighborhood itself leans towards dull as far as businesses go. But, you are right down the street from all the goodness that is South Grand.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:22 PM

Shaw is leafy and sleepy with just a touch of sketch, but its great prices and proximity to South Grand definitely make it worth considering.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:27 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,564,959 times
Mama Josephine's is my favorite place in the Shaw neighborhood. Good, homestyle cooking. yum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis