Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 02:35 PM

16 posts, read 40,661 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to STL in July from Chicago (Oak Park exactly). We have a 3 year old and plan on having another child soon. We'd like to live in or very close to the city (not real fond of subdivisions and malls).

I am interested in U city, Tower Grove, CWE, compton Heights. I'd like an area that has some sense of neighborhood, is close to a park/playground and safe enough to walk around in, and housing that can provide a small yard big enough to do a bit of gardening.

What about Compton Heights? Boundaries for the Tower Grove area? We are in our 30s and have lived all over the country. We are open minded, love food/restaurants, and prefer older homes or homes with character. Any candid info would be helpful.. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 02:43 PM

238 posts, read 332,368 times
Compton Heights is one of my favorite neighborhoods in all of St. Louis! The Central West End is also right up there. I honestly can't tell you what the kid situation is in either, but the homes are very cool in both!

Old 03-19-2008, 02:50 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
I think you'd be really happy in any of those areas. And for what you pay in Oak Park, it'll be a steal!!

Old 03-19-2008, 06:03 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,838,562 times
Would Central West End be too noisy for their kid, though?

I think Lafayette Park is fairly family-oriented as well, but more expensive.

But I think any of those areas would be workable.

Welcome to the city!

Old 03-19-2008, 06:37 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,805,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
Compton Heights is one of my favorite neighborhoods in all of St. Louis! The Central West End is also right up there. I honestly can't tell you what the kid situation is in either, but the homes are very cool in both!
I'd have to agree with these. And nearby Lafayette Square, etc...

Old 03-19-2008, 06:39 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,805,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiepie View Post
I am relocating to STL in July from Chicago (Oak Park exactly). We have a 3 year old and plan on having another child soon. We'd like to live in or very close to the city (not real fond of subdivisions and malls).

I am interested in U city, Tower Grove, CWE, compton Heights. I'd like an area that has some sense of neighborhood, is close to a park/playground and safe enough to walk around in, and housing that can provide a small yard big enough to do a bit of gardening.

What about Compton Heights? Boundaries for the Tower Grove area? We are in our 30s and have lived all over the country. We are open minded, love food/restaurants, and prefer older homes or homes with character. Any candid info would be helpful.. Thanks.
You will do just fine in the mentioned urban neighborhoods. A few inner ring burbs are comparable to Oak Park as well.(I am friends with staff at Fenwick and elsewhere)

Old 03-19-2008, 06:40 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
The main streets of the CWE can be loud, but the side residential streets can be surprisingly serene.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:18 PM

16 posts, read 40,661 times
thanks to all that replied-good to hear I'm on the right track. I think the main thing is that I want my daughter to have some place close to ride her bike (side street or nearby park) and do the regular kid type stuff. I love Oak Park because it's the best of both worlds...green space and city life with loads of diversity and good food, events etc.

The houses are not only MUCH more affordable, but our income is increasing (thus the move) so I feel like I"ve hit the jackpot Really looking forward to exploring the city and finding out what makes STL unique. BTW the homes remind me so much of my native Maine/New England.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:28 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,838,562 times
Lafayette Square has some nice townhouses, but can be more pricey. Tower Grove Park is nice, and there are Compton Hill Park and Lafayette Park nearby.

Lots of parks in St. Louis.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:41 PM

80 posts, read 222,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
The main streets of the CWE can be loud, but the side residential streets can be surprisingly serene.
I'll second that. My street is extremely quiet. My parent's house in the exurbs of Chicago is noisier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis