Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:51 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We will have to become more effective and efficient—and government must be collaborative. The City must reform its charter. The City, the inner suburbs, and outer suburbs must combine services. And, I strongly believe, that we must begin to lay the groundwork for the City of St. Louis to enter St. Louis County.

In his inaugural address. MayorSlay.com - Latest News

I agree the city and county can work better if they join together. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 03:54 PM

287 posts, read 1,086,728 times
Well my first thought was the general county resident's first thought, "Oh, the horror!!" Haven't they systematically voted down any incorporation between the city and the county?

Old 04-22-2009, 04:18 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,572,536 times
I am a St. Louis Native and lived in the city and the county over many years. I also worked at the County Court House in Clayton years ago. I firmly believe that both entities would benefit by their joining. Also, the elimination of many of the smaller communities would also be a definite advantage to the economy, educational and financial situation in the Metro area. I hope that the citizens will listen to logic and agree with Mayor Slay.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:29 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,592,874 times
Hey, are crime rate would go down.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:36 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,998 times
I think it would be of great benefit for the entire metro area. Better schools for the city, more taxes likely for things like the zoo and the museums. The county gets some revenue from Lambert Airport (owned by the city), as well as the Cardinals, the Rams, the Blues. Most of our attractions are located in the city.

Will reattachment be difficult? Sure. Probably about as difficult as sewing your toes back on. Will our leaders swallow their pride and make this happen? I hope so. It would be very good for the metro as a whole. I'm not sure if St. Louis County and St. Louis City residents will be too shortsighted to approve this or not.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:13 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,617,107 times
Maybe someday I'll eat my own words -- hell I even hope I do -- but I really don't see this ever happening.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:57 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,939 times
Never gonna happen. Slay is a great mayor, don't get me wrong, but there is a slight problem..the county has everything to lose, and the city everything to gain. St. Louis City wants St. Louis County for life support.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:08 PM

389 posts, read 902,553 times
I can't believe people are giving up the fight already. This is something that needed to happen a long time ago and even simply being the 91st municipality isn't enough. If the City/County were one Proposition M would've passed.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:22 PM

70 posts, read 229,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Never gonna happen. Slay is a great mayor, don't get me wrong, but there is a slight problem..the county has everything to lose, and the city everything to gain. St. Louis City wants St. Louis County for life support.
I'd have to disagree with this statement. St. Louis City has plenty of issues to deal with, but if you look at demographic trending as well as general population trending over the past decade St. Louis County is beginning to see many of the problems that have plagued the city for decades, while the city is seeing some hopeful signs of a turnaround. I'd agree that St. Louis City has more to gain from a merger right now, but it seems likely that one day things will level out to an equilibrium and in the long run all our citizens would be better served by a more centralized local government.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:41 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,894,761 times
There is one other thing no one has mentioned. Every municipality in the county has it's own little fiefdom with it's own power base. The people in the power positions will not want to give them up.

For decades the city wanted nothing to do with the country, it seems to me they missed their chance many years ago for a merger. I do not see Slay having any success in pulling this off although I do agree it would be the best thing for the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis