Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 09:15 PM

171 posts, read 445,294 times

Advertisements

The City of Saint Louis has done a great job in publishing a neighborhood map, each neighborhood with its own webpage (if not site) with some information and pictures.

That said, I can't find any per-neighborhood demographic information (minus population stats), either on the site or on other sites. I'd like to know things such as the crime index, average household incomes, average rents, etc, but the information doesn't seem to be published anywhere on a neighborhood-by-neighborhood basis.

My first two concerns are my budget and making sure I stay out of the notoriously bad neighborhoods (i.e. most of north STL, the city of East STL). Those two parts of town are obvious NOs, but I don't know about the rest. For the record, I'm not looking for a white collar, whitebread neighborhood; I definitely want something working class or near/in midtown, and perhaps semi-reminiscent of where I grew up, the west side of Detroit.

I visited the city for the first time in '05 when I was 14 and was there in April for a few days as well. I'm visiting again Oct 5-10, possibly Nov 22-27, and again for a quick day trip if necessary should I sign a lease before I leave to STL Dec 20th. I'll spend my last semester of college in STL taking online classes while trying to find work rather than waiting 'til I graduate flat ass broke in May with nowhere to go, no connections, and no job.

Anyway, my budget is $450 a month for a studio/efficiency (first preference) or 1 bedroom. Apparently this is VERY doable in Saint Louis, which was a big factor in my decision to move there as opposed to some of the other cities I considered and visited on my 2-month roadtrip. I may rent a room for the first few months in a temp situation until I determine where I'll be employed, but your guises info will be useful just the same.

I bought my plane tix today to come back to Saint Louis Oct 5-10. During this time, I plan to spend lots and lots of time outside checking out various parts of town and touring some of the big complexes I'm interested (e.g. St. Lukes, The Gallery on Washington).I know that rentals (esp. from small complexes/individually owned units) are unpredictable and won't be listed by the time I visit, but I'd like to be able to peruse the neighborhoods in which they'll most likely crop up so that if nothing else, I can cross off parts of town that don't fit me and note the ones that I particularly like.

With that in mind, what are some of the neighborhoods I should be sure to check out? Or if you can't tell me that, what neighborhoods should I definitely avoid wasting time on by virtue of not being working class or being far too dangerous?

Thanks!

Last edited by Dr_Pepper; 07-26-2011 at 09:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 07:59 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
$450 is definitely low, but not loo low, and I think you'll definitely have some decent options.

Most of South St. Louis is safe, but there are some neighborhoods you'll want to avoid -- the chief of which being Gravois Park, which is one that is bound to crop up on Craigslist in your price point. Benton Park West is a neighborhood that I'd still call extremely transitional (some of the Mexican restauarants that have moved into the area are really good, but I wouldn't probably be ready to move there just yet).

Dutchtown, Bevo, Fox Park and Tower Grove East are on a somewhat higher plane, and would, in my mind (and I'm an urbanite) be the first of the areas I've listed I'd give any real consideration to living in. All are what people like to call block by block, but I'd live in at least parts of them all.

Outside of that, I'd probably live in any neighborhood in south and southwest city. Some are more walkable than others, but safety shouldn't be a major concern.

Craiglist is definitely your friend as the cheapest rentals will be of the mom-and-pop variety.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
$450 is definitely low, but not loo low, and I think you'll definitely have some decent options.

Most of South St. Louis is safe, but there are some neighborhoods you'll want to avoid -- the chief of which being Gravois Park, which is one that is bound to crop up on Craigslist in your price point. Benton Park West is a neighborhood that I'd still call extremely transitional (some of the Mexican restauarants that have moved into the area are really good, but I wouldn't probably be ready to move there just yet).

Dutchtown, Bevo, Fox Park and Tower Grove East are on a somewhat higher plane, and would, in my mind (and I'm an urbanite) be the first of the areas I've listed I'd give any real consideration to living in. All are what people like to call block by block, but I'd live in at least parts of them all.

Outside of that, I'd probably live in any neighborhood in south and southwest city. Some are more walkable than others, but safety shouldn't be a major concern.

Craiglist is definitely your friend as the cheapest rentals will be of the mom-and-pop variety.
This is exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for. Thank you!! +Rep!

Old 07-27-2011, 03:13 PM

^If you find listings that interest you, or have specific neighborhood questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Old 07-27-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
^If you find listings that interest you, or have specific neighborhood questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Thanks!

I had another question here, but discovered Geo St. Louis which answered it.

Last edited by Dr_Pepper; 07-27-2011 at 05:04 PM..

Old 07-28-2011, 06:26 AM

Well, I've spent the last few hours recording all the apartment listings in my budget on Craigslist (and i'm only down to listings posted July 25 LOL) in order to get a better sense of what neighborhoods will reappear in my search for a specific apartment this fall. In the 4 pages I have recorded, Dutchtown is by FAR the most common. Tower Grove South, Tower Grove East, Carondelet, Gravois Park, Benton Park, and Benton Park West are all common themes.

My question pertains to a very specific part of Tower Grove South--North of Chippewa, SOUTH of Gravois, and west of S. Grand in that little triangular corner of TGS. I've seen at least 10 listings in this tiny chunk of town (owned by the same guy? Wasn't paying attention)--what are your thoughts on it?

Old 07-28-2011, 06:55 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,574 times
That triangle area of TGS is probably the worst part of the neighborhood. It's not terrible, but I definitely would prefer elsewhere. Same story with Dutchtown...it has some good blocks still but the neighborhood is in flux right now...crime is a major concern there.

In the $450 range, your best bet is to find a nice four unit family flat in south city, which appears to be what you're doing. I would just be careful and make sure the property and the ones around it are well maintained and not crime ridden. The good news is that there are plenty of nice ones, and a quick visit will make it clear either way. The safest neighborhoods in the city are in the 63109, 63139, and 63110 zip codes. But there are plenty of safe areas in other zip codes as well.

For more detailed pics and narratives of different neighborhoods check out http://www.stlouiscitytalk.com/ . All city neighborhoods are covered except for like 4.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
That triangle area of TGS is probably the worst part of the neighborhood. It's not terrible, but I definitely would prefer elsewhere. Same story with Dutchtown...it has some good blocks still but the neighborhood is in flux right now...crime is a major concern there.

In the $450 range, your best bet is to find a nice four unit family flat in south city, which appears to be what you're doing. I would just be careful and make sure the property and the ones around it are well maintained and not crime ridden. The good news is that there are plenty of nice ones, and a quick visit will make it clear either way. The safest neighborhoods in the city are in the 63109, 63139, and 63110 zip codes. But there are plenty of safe areas in other zip codes as well.

For more detailed pics and narratives of different neighborhoods check out St. Louis City Talk . All city neighborhoods are covered except for like 4.
Gracias!! +rep.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:48 AM

I've not spent any time in that little triangle, but I had a friend who lived just south of there right by Amberg Park. It wasn't like a super nice neighborhood, but he liked it and never had any major trouble. There was a divey little bar down the street called the Ugly Fish and you could walk down Meramec on nice evenings and get some Ted Drewes from the Dutchtown location. On that walk the houses and apartments seemed mostly well kept. I liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis