Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 5,982 times

Advertisements

(Sort of a weird question. A few questions, actually. I'm asking because I'm starting to write a story set in the area.)

I know that there are many Bosnians in South St. Louis, who arrived in the 1990s, particularly around Bevo Mill. The number I keep seeing is that there are around 50,000+ people of Bosnian heritage in St. Louis -- obviously at least a few must have settled on the north side?

A problem with looking at demographics in STL is that statistics generally go county-by-county, meaning both North and South STL are grouped together in "St. Louis City" -- and then, on top of that, when stats do break down the city itself, it rarely goes past north = black and south = white.

I imagine there is a Polish population around St. Stanislaus, right? What other ethnicities, beyond just "white," are there (particularly in North St. Louis)? On top of that, beyond just "black," what makes up the black population of North St. Louis -- descendents of slaves from the south? descendents of free blacks from the north? more recent immigrants directly from Africa?

---
too long;didn't read:

1) Any Bosnians in North St. Louis?
2) Any cultural/ethnic identities beyond just white/black in North St. Louis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 07:45 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,562,454 times
Bosnians settled in South St Louis and many migrated into Affton and other parts of South County. By now, there are probably at least a few Bosnians in just about all corners of the metro region, north side included. But primarily, Bosnians still live south.
Your second question, about ethnic identities in North St Louis: You are asking if there are any ethnic groups living there who aren't Black or White? Yes, there are Latinos, Asians, and others...just not very large numbers.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:55 AM

136 posts, read 265,133 times
1greatcity pretty much summed it up. North City is around 95% black which leaves little room for a significant population of anything else, but there are very small pockets of asian and hispanic descent people that live North City along with whites. Prior to 1950 and the decline of St. Louis North City was the most diverse of ethnicities and recent immigrants compared to the whole city.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:11 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,887,735 times
Interesting topic and keep us posted on the progress on your book. As to your questions....no there really isn't a Bosnian or really any non-AA population in north St. Louis. Old North St. Louis is a small neighborhood just north of downtown that is rather diverse, but it is an exception. The rest of north St. Louis neighborhoods are overwhelmingly African American. I am not a historian so I could be wrong but my understanding is that the black population in St. Louis stems mostly from the great migration in the first half of the 20th century, so yes they would likely be the decendents of slaves.

More recently (last 10-20) years St. Louis has had some immigration from African countries, mainly Somalia and Ethiopia. They have settled in pockets on the south side, but their numbers are nowhere near as significant as the Bosnian immigrants of the late 1990's and early 2000's.

St. Stanislaus is a historically Polish Catholic church but in recent years has become de-affiliated with the local Archdiocese and is now the local go-to church for local Catholics who disagree with some/all socially conservative elements of Catholic doctrine. The local Polish order is now at St. Agatha, I think. While some congregants may come from the neighborhood, I'm pretty sure most are liberal Catholics who support gay marriage, women priests, and those kinds of ideas. There's a current and long-standing legal battle over the church and its property...I'm sure a google search will turn up some recent news stories on it.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:27 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,017,258 times
Wasn't that the deal where the archdiocese didn't seem to care about the church until they saw the size of their bank account, then it became a "hand over the $$ or we'll shut down your parish, and pull your priests, etc"...I believe this lead to them becoming a "rouge" church, however the vast majority of Catholics in St. Louis agreed more with the church, than the Archdiocese on the matter. This most likely stems from a "Middle America" idea that what people donate should be left where it was donated, and not divided by hierarchy's who do not have the best interests of the donator, at heart, this idea plays through in local government constantly.

And, i believe St. Agatha (South of Soulard, East of Benton Park) still does a Polish Mass.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:11 PM

165 posts, read 451,550 times
Yeah, not a large Bosnian population up here on the north side. Someone mentioned Old North as having a more diverse population. This is true, but Hyde Park is the same.

Are you local? If so, would you like a driving tour of the north side to help with authenticity of place? Last question: your book won't be about vampires, will it? Please say no.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,982 times
I grew up in an inner-ring suburb of St. Louis, but I don't live in STL right now. (Thanks for the driving-tour offer, though; the main way I think I'll try to get "authenticity" from over here is through the extraordinary website builtstlouis.net.)

I have nothing against vampires or the fantasy genre, but there certainly won't be any of that here! Think perhaps "The Wire," particularly seasons 2 and 4... or maybe "The 27th City." But those are ambitious goalposts to aim for; until one has an agent/publisher/etc., one writes for oneself, not in order to make comparisons to previous works.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:47 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasan2 View Post
I grew up in an inner-ring suburb of St. Louis, but I don't live in STL right now. (Thanks for the driving-tour offer, though; the main way I think I'll try to get "authenticity" from over here is through the extraordinary website builtstlouis.net.)

I have nothing against vampires or the fantasy genre, but there certainly won't be any of that here! Think perhaps "The Wire," particularly seasons 2 and 4... or maybe "The 27th City." But those are ambitious goalposts to aim for; until one has an agent/publisher/etc., one writes for oneself, not in order to make comparisons to previous works.
Builtstlouis is an extraordinary site, but it tends to be on the grim side, if you havent been to StL lately, its not all like whats on the site.
I am sure there are current citizens of the Lou that can suggest some really great sites so you can get a feel for the real StL, not just the side of it portrayed on built.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:51 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,562,454 times
I suggest St. Louis City Talk, which has a great breakdown of STL, neighborhood by neighborhood.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:40 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
^Definitely second those guides!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: