Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 07:26 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoerin View Post
Hi, I can't comment on what it's like to be diverse in Columbus or St. Louis, but I can tell you I have lived in Chicago, St. Louis, and Columbus and LOVE Columbus. Miss it terribly. If you are fresh out of school, I could totally see where you might want a faster paced city. For me, since I had already done that by living in Chicago, Columbus was the perfect fit. Plenty to do, lots cheaper than St. Louis and way way cheaper than Chicago. I loved Columbus because you could be anywhere in 15-30 minutes. St. Louis is bigger and very spread out. The highway systems are not convenient and often times there is not a direct route to get from point a to b. While Columbus may be boring, it's much newer and cleaner. The streets are better maintained and you don't see nearly as many abandoned buildings. I live in St. Louis because my family is here, but it depresses me. It just seems more downtrodden in general. The people are more downtrodden, the buildings are, the roads are, etc. etc. I do think if excitement is what you are looking for, St. Louis might have more to offer, although I felt Columbus had plenty to do.
So, you have spoken to every citizen of the Lou and they all told you they felt downtrodden?
Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 09:17 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,185,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterwood89 View Post
...My ex-girlfriend 4yrs ago gave me my absolute favorite of all time. She grew up in St. Peters and never went to the city until I took her and she said "Why is there no Wal-Mart? Where does everybody shop?"...
Target, where else?

Old 10-14-2011, 09:41 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,564,959 times
The fact that St. Louis City has no WalMart IS " a good thing about St. Louis"! Hey, We got Macy's, K-Mart, JC Penney, Target, etc. We don't need no stinkin' WalMart!

Old 10-15-2011, 11:07 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
St. Louis in my opinion is good in that probably in terms of culture, it is the second richest city in culture in the Midwest behind Chicago, and for those of who like this, it doesn't have Chicago's size. Hence everything is within reasonable reach. St. Louis has an excellent highway system as well, and some of the safest suburbs in the nation. If you're going to live in St. Louis City, I would recommend Southwest City or South City. If you want to live on the Illinois side, I'd recommend Belleville, Edwardsville, or Collinsville. St. Louis County is probably best in Mid-County (this area is bounded on the south by I-44 and on the north by Page). And you will get all four seasons in St. Louis. Cold winters, hot summers, and beautiful springs and falls. And St. Louis is probably the best sports town in the nation.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:03 PM

165 posts, read 372,221 times
Coming from Chicago the hardest thing for me to adjust to has been all the driving. I kept a car in Chicago, but could count on one hand how many times a year I actually drove it. Here in St. Louis I take metrolink for very specific trips, like going to Cardinals game for example, but living in St. Louis without a car would be very hard to do if not impossible for me. I really miss all the walking I did in Chicago.

Of course this is only based on the last few months I spent in Charlack. You can't do anything without driving around here. Same could be said for a lot of Chicago suburbs. I am currently looking at places in the CWE, and these places all have pretty good walkscores, so I am sure I will be doing a lot more walking even if it's just around my own neighborhood. Being in a walk-able neighborhood is highly important to me, and it's a deal breaker if I can't find it in St. Louis.

Old 10-15-2011, 01:08 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,863 times
The CWE is really walkable. Pretty much the only place you can't walk is to the grocery store. It IS possible to walk to the Lindell Schnuck's, but it's a bit of a hike. However, there is a Metrolink stop right on Euclid, so it's very convenient.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
The CWE is really walkable. Pretty much the only place you can't walk is to the grocery store. It IS possible to walk to the Lindell Schnuck's, but it's a bit of a hike. However, there is a Metrolink stop right on Euclid, so it's very convenient.
Thanks. Yeah I think CWE will work for me. I hope anyway. Walkscore is helping me pick apartments - Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

St. Louis is awesome in the sense that I am going to get a 2 bed 2 bath for pretty much half of what I would pay in my favorite Chicago neighborhoods. And my salary has not suffered much by making the move.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis99 View Post
...but living in St. Louis without a car would be very hard to do if not impossible for me. I really miss all the walking I did in Chicago...
Um, you don't actually live in St. Louis. You live in the middle of the suburbs. It's no more surprising that you need a car at all times then it would be if you moved to DuPage County.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Um, you don't actually live in St. Louis. You live in the middle of the suburbs. It's no more surprising that you need a car at all times then it would be if you moved to DuPage County.
Agreed, and I made that point in the next paragraph. I said my judgement so far is based on only living in the suburbs, and it would be the same in most Chicago suburbs. I'm moving closer to the city, and we'll see how it goes.

You bring up an interesting point though that has confused me since I have moved here - If Charlack/St. Johns/Overland/St. Ann etc. are not St. Louis why does everyone write their address as St. Louis? When I lived in Naperville I didn't write Chicago.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis99 View Post
Agreed, and I made that point in the next paragraph. I said my judgement so far is based on only living in the suburbs, and it would be the same in most Chicago suburbs. I'm moving closer to the city, and we'll see how it goes.

You bring up an interesting point though that has confused me since I have moved here - If Charlack/St. Johns/Overland/St. Ann etc. are not St. Louis why does everyone write their address as St. Louis? When I lived in Naperville I didn't write Chicago.
I've wondered that myself. Part of the answer I'm sure is that you are in St. Louis County. Also, I think many of St. Louis' suburbs are newer, post WWII communities. That probably meant there wasn't a nearby community post office, and they probably used St. Louis, as in St. Louis county, as their address, which continued even after incorporating. Their are some anomalies in the Chicago area as well. For instance, Niles and Cicero are two towns with long and established histories, but they were assigned Chicago zip codes when zip codes were introduced. They eventually won the battle to receive their own, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis