Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 05:46 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,022,935 times

Advertisements

Much of West County began being built up during the 1960's to the 1970's so you'll have 30 and forty year old trees in the area for many subdivisions. It would only be natural that the newer "McMansion" subdivisions wouldn't have mature trees, as the subdivisions are often not mature either. If you're hoping for 100 year old trees, you need areas that have been in existence for that period of time...take a peak at parts of Kirkwood, Glendale, Webster Groves, etc...

As to the California comment, I dunno. Some folks from West County may have an elitist mentality, but I don't think that's overly prevalent. Often, they simply have more expendable income than other residents, or are more comfortable living in debt. The result is the same, name brand handbags, expensive wardrobes, and flashy cars...but to each their own
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 08:12 PM

551 posts, read 3,124,192 times
Yes, most of the development in Chesterfield is newer. My boss once mentioned that the area was under water not too many years ago, and that was why the city seemingly sprung up overnight. I work out there and it seems to be a pretty nice suburb, but it does get a little traffic-heavy. There are some new paved multi-use trails that get a lot of activity, and you're within close proximity of the Katy Trail, if you're into exercise at all. Otherwise, Chesterfield is a pretty "complete" suburb, in my opinion. You can find just about any big box store/chain restaurant you want out there, and it has a good mall, too. If you like the suburban lifestyle, I'd say you'd probably be very happy in Chesterfield.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:29 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
The entirety of Chesterfield Valley (called Gumbo flats by old timers still) was underwater, but a lot of Chesterfield is actually higher up in the river bluffs and was not affected by the flood.

Annie Gunn's used to be one of the few things out there before 1993 and the years following when they built that massive strip mall. Below is Annie Gunn's during the '93 flood:

The place was pretty much completely destroyed and their website says it took 7 months and $3 million to get their doors reopened. I can't even imagine the kind of damage we'd be talking about if another 500-year flood occurs.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:37 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Much of West County began being built up during the 1960's to the 1970's so you'll have 30 and forty year old trees in the area for many subdivisions. It would only be natural that the newer "McMansion" subdivisions wouldn't have mature trees, as the subdivisions are often not mature either. If you're hoping for 100 year old trees, you need areas that have been in existence for that period of time...take a peak at parts of Kirkwood, Glendale, Webster Groves, etc...

As to the California comment, I dunno. Some folks from West County may have an elitist mentality, but I don't think that's overly prevalent. Often, they simply have more expendable income than other residents, or are more comfortable living in debt. The result is the same, name brand handbags, expensive wardrobes, and flashy cars...but to each their own
And for those who love Chesterfield and want trees there are really two options that should work -- Firstly one can look for an older house. Yes, much of Chesterfield is new, but my dad's family lived in Chesterfield in the 1960s and '70s -- established neighborhoods definitely exist.

But additionally, and obviously it's dependent on budget, but at least some of the higher-end neighborhoods, specifically those with larger lots, didn't clear cut to make the subdivisions and the area really has a great number of trees.

It's different from say Overland Park, KS which was all farm land (and hence long ago clear cut) so essentially no new home out that way will have mature trees.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:26 PM

4 posts, read 5,530 times
DO NOT MOVE TO WILDWOOD! i currently reside in Wildwood and I HATE how far you are from ANYTHING. You really cant walk anywhere...Chesterfield is MUCH MUCH better.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:36 PM

704 posts, read 1,793,426 times
I took Olive when 64 was closed and even then it wasn't that busy. From 270 to 141 was maybe 10 or 15 minutes, even during rush hour. Most of the neighborhoods are off of Olive anyway, so it's not like you'll be shooting hoops and riding your Big Wheels in the right lane or anything.

Chesterfield is a great place to live. The OP will probably find West County most similar to Indy's northern suburbs like Carmel. You'll be in the Parkway School District, which is one of the state's finest.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:40 PM

704 posts, read 1,793,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
And for those who love Chesterfield and want trees there are really two options that should work -- Firstly one can look for an older house. Yes, much of Chesterfield is new, but my dad's family lived in Chesterfield in the 1960s and '70s -- established neighborhoods definitely exist.

But additionally, and obviously it's dependent on budget, but at least some of the higher-end neighborhoods, specifically those with larger lots, didn't clear cut to make the subdivisions and the area really has a great number of trees.

It's different from say Overland Park, KS which was all farm land (and hence long ago clear cut) so essentially no new home out that way will have mature trees.
Chesterfield is basically split into pre-flood and post-flood housing. After the Missouri flooded in '93, the property along the Missouri flood plain was sold to developers at cheap pricing. The city or county put in a flood wall to protect all of the new development, and that's how you have so much of the commercial development along 64 that is so new. The older part of Chesterfield, along Olive near Ladue, for example, was not flooded in '93 and thus remains largely unchanged.

That's how it was explained to me, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis