Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 03:39 PM

3 posts, read 3,335 times

Advertisements

Im moving to st louis for college in about another month right before classes start in Aug., the downfall is im coming from a very small town in arkansas and need help on where i should live as an college student. Ive did lots of research and still hasnt made up my mind because every where i look i see negative and good reviews, but could some one please help me out on a nice safe place to live ill be attending st louis community college at florissant valley, i have plenty of cash so money isnt a issue just an upcoming freshman coming from a place in the middle of no where and really dont know too much about the city. So could someone mature and respectful let me know whats up?? Thanks alot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 08:16 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,928,024 times
Are you looking to live in the city. If so try looking into some apartments in Soulard. It is locted in the city but still has a neighborhood feel with a laid back vibe. It generally safe with the exception of occasional car breakins.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:06 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
Because you'll be going to school pretty far north I'd start my search in University City, Clayton, Richmond Heights and Brentwood -- each would be only a 15-minute or so commute and all are safe inner-ring suburbs -- certainly more dense than where you're coming from, but not bash-you-over-the-head urbanity either. All are very safe and very central to everything the metro has to offer.

Best of luck and be sure to ask more specific changes as you have them!

Old 06-26-2012, 11:54 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,868,484 times
Maryland Heights / Creve Coeur are also great- and shouldn't be too far to Florissant Valley CC straight around I-270. I used to live in Maryland Heights when I first moved to St. Louis as a single girl, and I loved it there. It was perfect for me because it was the safety and comfort of suburbia, within easy proximity to the amenities of the city

Plus, there are a LOT of apartments in Maryland Heights. I think it would be a good place to make a transition between small town and big city

Old 06-26-2012, 03:11 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,749,942 times
I would recommend Brentwood, Clayton, or University City if you've never lived in a big city and you want to get your toes wet. They're all urban or semi-urban but still with the safety of suburbia. If you're familiar with Little Rock being from Arkansas then I'd compare them to the Heights/Hillcrest area (although it's a loose comparison). Maryland Heights and Creve Coeur are also very nice but much more suburban than the first group. I'd compare them to West Little Rock/Chenal (again, a pretty loose comparison).

Old 06-27-2012, 09:30 AM

3 posts, read 3,335 times
I have some family there but not the type of guy to lean on people or anything like that when i know i can handle my own, but one my cousin's told me about an area called Villa St Cyr, he said its pretty safe there and not that far from flo do you know anything about that it? Thanks for helping tho.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:15 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
^I hadn't heard of it but did a quick google search and it looks to be in Bellefontaine Acres -- while it is close to school, it's neither particularly nice or particularly safe. If you want to be really close to school, Florissant itself would make more sense.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:43 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,868,484 times
I second aragx6- I wouldn't live down that end of Bellefontaine (near Jennings Station Rd). If suburbia and short commute to school is what you're looking for, Florissant probably has something in a better neighborhood

Old 07-02-2012, 11:09 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,021,827 times
I'd avoid that one Jordan, not exactly the greatest area. I have a family member and another friend who litterally lives down the block from there, and while not terribly dangerous, it wouldn't be on my radar for places to live.

Creve Coeur would be great, or Maryland Heights. Both are close to I-270 and would give you a 10 minute commute to School. If you're wanting to remain VERY close to school in a good area, i'd also check out Fergeson. The area is "transitioning" but it's pretty cool, and the brew house is awesome.

The suggestions by Arag and Glam are all together good choices too...I think you'd particularlly enjoy the area around Richmond Heights with it's close proximity to Forest Park and all the attractions that offers. Your commute would be a few minutes longer, but you'd be very near to I-170 which will drop you off a few miles East of Florissant Valley, so it should be pretty painless. Your housing needs and abilities will all vary upon your income however, if you've got an idea as to how much you're willing to spend, let us know and we might be able to help further. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis