Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,921 times

Advertisements

We have done a bunch of research and are planning on driving from Philadelphia to St. Louis to look at apartments tomorrow. The building we are most interested in is Taravue Park Apartments, Park Station Apartments and a few others. We know nothing about any of these buildings and we've seen lots of negatives and positives about each. Can anyone give any insight into either of these properties or any others. We're looking for a 1-bed, 1-bath apartment for under $600 a month. We're trying to stay relatively close to St. Louis University. Thanks for any help you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 06:49 PM

80 posts, read 222,045 times
I am not specifically familiar with either of the apartments you mentioned, but Taravue appears to be pretty far away and Park Station is not that close either. There are many apartments much closer to SLU. I would suggest taking a look at these if you want to be right next to campus.

Coronado Place, Lindell Towers or Moolah Place
Apartments in Saint Louis | FrontDoor, LLC

Westminster Place View Westminster Place Apartments Apartments For Rent in Saint Louis, Missouri - ForRent.com

If you don't mind being a little farther away, there are tons of properties throughout the Central West End neighborhood. You could also look at a loft apartment downtown, though that would probably be pricier.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Aviator View Post
I am not specifically familiar with either of the apartments you mentioned, but Taravue appears to be pretty far away and Park Station is not that close either. There are many apartments much closer to SLU. I would suggest taking a look at these if you want to be right next to campus.

Coronado Place, Lindell Towers or Moolah Place
[URL="http://www.frontdoorstl.com/"]Apartments in Saint Louis | FrontDoor, LLC[/URL]

Westminster Place [URL="http://www.forrent.com/apartment-community-profile/1009579.php"]View Westminster Place Apartments Apartments For Rent in Saint Louis, Missouri - ForRent.com[/URL]

If you don't mind being a little farther away, there are tons of properties throughout the Central West End neighborhood. You could also look at a loft apartment downtown, though that would probably be pricier.
Thanks a lot! Anyone else with any info would be a great help

Old 03-26-2008, 08:21 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,927,484 times
Try looking at some of the rental units downtown. Lots to do and the loft apartments are very nice. Try the Merchandise Mart, Paul Brown, Vanguard, Bee Hat, etc...

You also may find some good rentals on craigs list.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:09 PM

386 posts, read 1,693,140 times
I would avoid the area around SLU. The downtown loft idea isn't bad and that would put you just north of SLU. Tower Groves would put you just south. And you can find tons of cheap, student-centered apartments in U-City close to WashU. There's a light trail line that runs straight from U-City to right near SLU so even if you're not bringing a car, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
I would avoid the area around SLU. The downtown loft idea isn't bad and that would put you just north of SLU.
Downtown is East of SLU, not North, except for the medical campus, in which case Downtown would be to the Northeast. I'm assuming we're talking about the main campus here. I'm not sure why you wouldn't recommend the area around SLU. There are very good housing options and the location is very convenient to Downtown, Grand Center and the Euclid corridor in the Central West End, not to mention being right next to campus. I live here. I know the area quite well. It's hard to beat the convenience of walking across the street to campus.

Last edited by STL Aviator; 03-26-2008 at 10:35 PM..

Old 03-27-2008, 10:41 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,804,082 times
Quote:
I would avoid the area around SLU. The downtown loft idea isn't bad and that would put you just north of SLU. Tower Groves would put you just south. And you can find tons of cheap, student-centered apartments in U-City close to WashU. There's a light trail line that runs straight from U-City to right near SLU so even if you're not bringing a car, it wouldn't be a big deal.
It's Tower Grove.

There are plenty of living options at and near SLU worth considering.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Downtown is East of SLU, not North, except for the medical campus, in which case Downtown would be to the Northeast. I'm assuming we're talking about the main campus here. I'm not sure why you wouldn't recommend the area around SLU. There are very good housing options and the location is very convenient to Downtown, Grand Center and the Euclid corridor in the Central West End, not to mention being right next to campus. I live here. I know the area quite well. It's hard to beat the convenience of walking across the street to campus.
Whoops! lol. You can tell the city isn't my area of expertise. Nevertheless, I have spent considerable time around SLU and I found the area pretty yucky. Forgetting directional geography--most SLU kids I know are in Tower Grove (or, if you'd rather, "Groves") or downtown.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Whoops! lol. You can tell the city isn't my area of expertise. Nevertheless, I have spent considerable time around SLU and I found the area pretty yucky. Forgetting directional geography--most SLU kids I know are in Tower Grove (or, if you'd rather, "Groves") or downtown.
I guess the hordes of SLU students in the neighborhood must be figments of my imagination. Seriously. WestCoDude, what is your problem? You have consistently demonstrated that you know zilch about the city. I think everyone on this board is tired of listening to you trash the city. If you're not going to be constructive, then quit posting in threads on topics you're not qualified to speak on.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
I guess the hordes of SLU students in the neighborhood must be figments of my imagination. Seriously. WestCoDude, what is your problem? You have consistently demonstrated that you know zilch about the city. I think everyone on this board is tired of listening to you trash the city. If you're not going to be constructive, then quit posting in threads on topics you're not qualified to speak on.
The area around SLU is gross. What do you want me to say? It's my honest opinion. I don't profess absolute knowledge about the city...but I can speak about the area around SLU from personal experience. And, quite frankly, it grossed me out. Since you live there, I assume that you would obviously disagree. But...I've only heard bad things of the area and I've always found it very grungy. Why not live a couple miles south in what is a far better part of town? This isn't even city vs. county. I think these college kids would do fine in the city....just not near SLU.

Sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis