Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 06:25 PM

280 posts, read 686,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
I graduated in May 2008 with a BA in PoliSci and moved to DC in May 2011. My wife graduated last year and had a job lined up here in DC a month before she graduated.

@BoomBoxing

Did you do any internship during college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 07:04 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,574 times
Not quite. But I did have a job during college through the Federal government's STEP (student temporary employment) program that gave me valuable experience that led to me getting a permanent job, at a different Federal agency, after graduating. Several agencies in St. Louis have STEP including IRS, VA, SSA, and NARA.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:45 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
I'd imagine the degree is from the University of Missouri, so I highly doubt you'll have anymore trouble than any other recent college grad in the job market, long as you've received good grades, and majored in a degree field where there are job opportunities available.
There is a difference, and it does matter, but in the St. Louis area a degree from UMSL is, from all I've seen, considered just fine. 2 good friends of mine have degrees from there -- one an elementary school teacher and the other an entrepeneur.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:46 AM

280 posts, read 686,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
There is a difference, and it does matter, but in the St. Louis area a degree from UMSL is, from all I've seen, considered just fine. 2 good friends of mine have degrees from there -- one an elementary school teacher and the other an entrepeneur.

aragx6, what do you mean by "There is a difference, and it does matter"?

Old 09-12-2012, 07:05 AM

I just mean that the University of Missouri (the flagship campus) is significantly more respected and has, as a whole, more highly rated programs, than either UMSL or UMKC. That's not to say UMSL isn't a fine choice for plenty of people, but it is to say that a degree from the University of Missouri - St. Louis is simply not going to be looked at the same as someone with a degree from the University of Missouri.

Hope that helps!

Old 09-12-2012, 09:30 PM

662 posts, read 1,049,241 times
Unless it's from Sanford-Brown, your degree shouldn't matter. It's more or less the person attatched to it. And there are other states and cities out there that might give you more opportunities.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:09 PM

150 posts, read 244,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I just mean that the University of Missouri (the flagship campus) is significantly more respected and has, as a whole, more highly rated programs, than either UMSL or UMKC. That's not to say UMSL isn't a fine choice for plenty of people, but it is to say that a degree from the University of Missouri - St. Louis is simply not going to be looked at the same as someone with a degree from the University of Missouri.

Hope that helps!
Don't toot your horn too much. As far as flagship state universities go, the University of Missouri is quite mediocre. I always find it funny how Mizzou grads think their school is on the same level as Harvard or Stanford. I always get a good laugh from that.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:53 PM

662 posts, read 1,049,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topospace View Post
Don't toot your horn too much. As far as flagship state universities go, the University of Missouri is quite mediocre. I always find it funny how Mizzou grads think their school is on the same level as Harvard or Stanford. I always get a good laugh from that.
lol

Old 09-13-2012, 01:47 PM

389 posts, read 902,900 times
Do the math. UMSL offers the best value | Explore | UMSL | University of Missouri-St Louis

• More than 65,000 UMSL alumni live and work in the region, making it the largest alumni population in the region.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topospace View Post
I've never met anyone who thinks that.

I don't think it's tooting one's own horn to say that, as a whole, the flagship campus is more widely respected than the two urban campuses.

But thanks for your fabulous contribution, as usual, to the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis