Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 09:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,840 times

Advertisements

I am a single mom in my early 30s with a 3 year old daughter. I will be working at Washington university. I am looking for a place to live that is relatively safe and where it would be relatively easy to meet people around my age (both for friends and for relationship). I am pretty progressive, into yoga, outdoor activities including jogging, and eating healthy. My daughter also loves being outside and I'm hoping to find a neighborhood wherr we can find other young kids for playmates for her. I would like to find an area where I would feel at home. I am from Tempe, AZ which is a diverse, young, laid back college town that feels more like California than what one would expect from the conservative reputation that Arizona has. I would also like to find a place with parks and kid friendly places that are close for my daughter. Any suggestions? I am familiar with University City and am looking for some other suggestions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 10:50 PM

30 posts, read 54,275 times
University City sounds exactly like what you're looking for. I'd also recommend Clayton, Richmond Heights, Maplewood, Brentwood, Rock Hill, Kirkwood, and Webster Groves.

Your daughter is 3 so schools aren't a big deal now, they will be in the future. For that reason I think it's good to point out that University City schools don't have the best reputation. Richmond Heights and Maplewood share a school district, and while the schools aren't what I would consider bad, they don't have the solid reputation of Clayton, Kirkwood, Brentwood, or Webster Groves.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,840 times
Thanks! Also I forgot to mention that I am looking to rent for the time being. My hope is to find a single family house or townhouse rather than an apartment. And I really want to stay around $900. Any thoughts on tower grove south? I know the schools would leave a lot to be desired. I like the sound of the area, but am a bit worried about safety especially with being a single mom. Thanks.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:43 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,372 times
There are very few progressive areas outside the city proper - U City is a standout in that department, and parts of Webster Groves and Maplewood would probably also qualify. City neighborhoods that are good for kids that might fit your lifestyle....You'll get a lot of opinions on that question. TGS would be okay by my reckoning, I had friends on Connecticut who sent their son to private school and they liked it, but there is enough property crime to make it a quality of life issue for some folks. Another option would be Skinker Debaliviere, the city neighborhood directly east of University City between Delmar and Forest Park Parkway. Access to Forest Park from there would be good for you. You might also consider Dogtown, which is mostly working class homes but an area where I hear of some ownership interest from the 30-something professional crowd - also close to the Zoo and Forest Park. If it were me (I was in your shoes 11 years ago), I would just prepare for the future (i.e., when your 3 year old is in kindergarten) and try my best to find a rental in Clayton, Brentwood, or the Richmond Heights section covered by Clayton or Ladue schools - those areas are extremely kid friendly and well served by amenities you would seek (parks, pools, kids activities, yoga, health food, pleasant running routes, progressive values, well educated folks, etc).

One question you should consider, also - will you be on the main campus or are you in medicine/biological sciences? Not that it makes a huge difference but main campus is west of Forest Park, nestled between U City and Clayton. The med campus is east of Forest Park wedged in between the Central West End and Forest Park Southeast (aka, the Grove). I originally bought in U City not realizing the medical campus was on the other side of Forest Park - had I known the med school was over there I probably would have bought in the CWE.

Last edited by zach_33; 07-17-2013 at 05:52 AM..

Old 07-17-2013, 07:54 AM

321 posts, read 1,003,851 times
As usual, I agree 100% with what zach_33 says (who I sometimes think reads my mind) but finding a single family home for rent at your $900/mo price point may be difficult in many of those areas. If you focus on a duplex or townhouse you would probably have a lot more options. Perhaps you could find a SFH at $900/mo in Maplewood, eastern Richmond Heights (in MRH Schools) or Dogtown, but in the Clayton or Brentwood school districts the starting price would probably be over $1000/mo for even a smaller SFH. The obvious place to look for a townhouse around $900 would be in Brentwood Forest where there are always a lot offered for rent, or perhaps a 2-family in the University Park area in U City.

Of course it is now mid-July, so everything nice and affordable in mid-County is getting rented out by the massive influx of new Wash U hires and grad students. (U-Haul trucks everywhere!) Assuming you are starting in the fall semester, you should try to visit and find some place of your own very quickly!

Old 07-17-2013, 02:31 PM

215 posts, read 712,819 times
You need to check out Mark Groth's blog, STLCityTalk (thanks to STLviaMSP for this one).

He has covered a few charter schools that are open to St. Louis City residents. Sounds like you would be very happy in the city, so make sure you read his blog before making any decisions on where to live (city vs county). Mark has also provided great reports on a lot of the neighborhoods in St. Louis as well with lots of photos! If we move to STL, I am hoping to get my daughter in the French immersion school that is available:
St. Louis Language Immersion Schools

Old 07-19-2013, 08:40 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
If you are going to rent, you should try where we are, which is the Demun section of Clayton. We are currently paying $825 a month for two bedrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis