Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 03:14 PM

131 posts, read 185,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
Stay in St. Louis. I can't offer much to say except that there is a ton to do in STL compared to othre cities and also the pro sports. If you like sports. Public Transporation isn't to bad either.

I lived in STL from 1993-2000. Now I live in Birmingham Alabama since 2000. When I semi retire in 6 years at 55 years of age, I may move back to STL because of the reasons I state above.

It's just been a bad winter for everyone, including the South. All of your options up there from things to do plus healthcare over ride the weather, unless you just hate STL.

Don't over estimate what you said in your first paragraph. You have some great friends. As you get older, and I assume you are older, that becomes very, very valuable.
Thanks very much for the reply. I agree about there being a lot to do...I guess I just do get depressed when it gets to a certain low temperature and don't feel like doing anything that involves leaving the house! But I know it's been a particularly bad winter...last year was much better, if I recall. Still...

I'm not into pro sports at all...but healthcare is definitely a consideration. I don't hate STL by any means...if "someone" up there could just jack up the winter temperature at least 20 degrees or so!

Though I'm unfortunately on medical disability, I'm hoping to go back to work...I'm actually not old, only early 30s, so many of my friends are still moving around and finding different jobs. It's still good to have friendships, regardless, and I enjoy the ones I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatsMeoww View Post
I freaking hate the weather in St. Louis. Lived there my first 20 years of life, left, moved back several years later, then remembered why I couldn't stand it and moved again. The year we decided to finally get out was 2011..the Year of the Tornado in St. Louis, as well as blizzard conditions. I visited in December, the first week the temps were 50 degrees, 20, and 30, all within a couple of days, and for 3 days it was 2 degrees. Ick.

This time we moved to the Pacific Northwest. The rain isn't so bad...it rains steadily in the fall for a long time, but not hard driving rain, just soft you don't really need an umbrella rain. It is grey, but Vitamin D helps. Summers are great, mild, very little rain. Cost of living is typically higher here than St. Louis, especially the closer to Canada you are, food and gas in particular.

Maybe somewhere Southern? Alabama? Yes you get the humidity but St. Louis has terrible humidity, and winters would be so much more mild. Except this year of course LOL. In fact, it is dumping snow right now here which is unheard of but it is still 31 degrees, not the bone numbing crap you get in St. Louis. Cost of living wouldn't be bad. I've always thought Mississippi was a neat place, although there are negatives everywhere. West is more costly, as is East...I'd look South.
Wow, thank you...someone else who can relate to the winter hate!

I thought about the Northwest, maybe visiting Portland. Trouble is, my mood kind of needs sun. All these requirements, I know...no place may satisfy them.

The South might work...I'm from Atlanta, I may have mentioned, and that might be a good city, but I'm not sure how I'd feel revisiting all the places from my (not-so-happy) childhood. I do have relatives in Alabama, so I could think about it...or look at other places in the South.

I did just visit that Garden apartment, and it's so tempting...great place, and having all that beauty at your doorstep...but then again, the winter!

Old 02-25-2014, 10:27 PM

3 posts, read 3,210 times
I say this in all seriousness...have you tried long underwear?
I'm sure to many this will sound silly, but I used to really hate winter, and then I discovered dressing appropriately in layers and I really actually kind of like it now (especially when it snows, just because it's pretty). I wear long underwear all through the winter, 3-4 layers on top, scarves, gloves, and a hat that covers my ears, and I'm good to go. I gave up on looking sharp, keeping my hair just so, and focused on keeping warm and comfortable, and I am so much happier in winter! Walk the dog every day without fail, no matter the temperature - actually makes me feel more alive! Just wanted to share my own experience of learning to love St. Louis in the winter!

Old 02-26-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmonty1 View Post
I say this in all seriousness...have you tried long underwear?
I'm sure to many this will sound silly, but I used to really hate winter, and then I discovered dressing appropriately in layers and I really actually kind of like it now (especially when it snows, just because it's pretty). I wear long underwear all through the winter, 3-4 layers on top, scarves, gloves, and a hat that covers my ears, and I'm good to go. I gave up on looking sharp, keeping my hair just so, and focused on keeping warm and comfortable, and I am so much happier in winter! Walk the dog every day without fail, no matter the temperature - actually makes me feel more alive! Just wanted to share my own experience of learning to love St. Louis in the winter!
Oh no, I'm not laughing! Yes, I have two pairs from REI, and I also sometimes wear tights or even pantyhose under my jeans if it's cold enough. That does help, I agree. I also have resorted (at least this year) to wearing at least one long-sleeved shirt and often a sweater on top of another sweater under my long down coat (although the coat is old, maybe close to 10 years, wow, so it could be less helpful than it used to be).

And walking faster helps too...but yet, I'm cold and hate it. Not long ago I found a balaclava (spelling?) I'd never worn in a drawer and put that on when the wind chill dropped to sub-zero at night! That helped a lot...but I can't walk around most of the time looking like a bank robber! Oh, I also make sure I have shoes that are big enough so I can wear two pairs of socks (one cotton, one wool).

So I feel like I'm doing most of what can be done. I think I'm just "cold-natured"...my ideal temperature is in the 80s or so! "Sauna"-like weather sounds good to me (I don't mind the summers here unless it gets much above 100).

I've always kind of been this way, but I think it got worse since I developed lupus with Raynaud's, meaning my hands get poor circulation and are sometimes ice-cold even indoors. I've gotten a hand-warmer, which has helped, but nothing really seems to ease the misery. I've even gotten my thyroid tested...normal...I am slightly underweight, so I guess that doesn't help the situation.

Sorry, long post, but wanted to share all my crazy winter-blocking techniques! I should try the long underwear more often...it's just that buildings are heated, and once I spend time in a warm place, I end up too hot.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I live in a 1 bedroom apartment in Maplewood that is around 700 square feet. Most of the apartments around this area seem like they would be about that size, or no smaller then 600 square feet. I live in the area just east of Big Bend and North of Manchester. Its a nice, walkable area. The grocery store, CVS, and plenty of restaurants are only a few blocks away.
In Maplewood you also have easy access to Metrolink. I like Maplewood a lot.

And this awful winter is not typical of St. Louis.

My sympathies to all in my hometown who are going through this awful, awful weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis