Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 04:15 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,571,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I read a STL review one time. This girl was talking about how dangerous the city is and how nobody should live there and stuff like that.

Then you check her profile and realize she lives in Wentzville.

I thought it was funny.
Same here...,.noticed quite a few posters have never lived in St. Louis, let alone in Missouri, post as if they are experts on the subject. I spent 36 years living in St. Louis and now live not too far from the city and am back many times each month. It is my hometown and I absolutely love St. Louis. Thanks so much for your positive input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 08:12 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I'd think if somebody really wants to live in a city, any city, they'd have to learn to get used to small, usually non-violent crimes.
There is a lot of truth to that. Cities are not for everyone, but it sounds like the OP is making an informed decision.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:41 PM

287 posts, read 1,086,597 times
To the original poster--I live in Southampton with my husband and two kids and we love it. You could find a great, even recently rehabbed, 3 bedroom with 1 or 2 baths, fenced yard and garage for 200K or less (search in 63109). The neighborhood covers Chippewa to Eichelberger (south) and Hampton to Kingshighway (west). It's split down the middle by Macklind Ave, which has a deli/restaurant, two coffee shops/restaurants, two bars, an Italian grocery store and a couple of other shops. The houses are fairly close together, but the streets are much wider than on the Hill. Kennard is about two miles north. We also have a Lutheran grade school (K-8) and two Catholic schools in the neighborhood, if you decide to go that route. Everybody walks everywhere, friendly neighbors and it's quiet and safe. I frequently recommend this area to people since we really enjoy it!

And, to the city hater, stay in the county. There are enough of us that love living here, thank you.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:21 PM

7 posts, read 26,134 times
Default Living in 63110

I thought I'd put a plug for the Hill/Historic Shaw Neighborhoods in 63110. These neighborhoods are near police and fire departments, have events each year (Historic Shaw Art Fair, Home Tour and The Bike Raise/other festivals). They both have great Catholic churches and neighborhood schools (Shaw has both St. Margaret's and Mullanphy Elementary is a fantastic magnet if your kids don't get into Kennard). Both neighborhoods have extremely pro-active and organized neighborhood associations... where neighbors report EVERYTHING in the city. There are awesome deals on housing now in these neighborhoods. Sure, it doesn't hurt to put a club on your car (never heard of anyone who had one getting their car stolen!!) Go to a neighborhood meeting, check it out, and check out how close you would be to downtown/40. Also, these neighborhoods are near the MO Botanical Garden... and have lots of SLU/WashU/BJC/Edward Jones residents... really stable, historic neighborhoods with charm... which is really wonderful.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:43 PM

803 posts, read 2,969,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2lex View Post
I thought I'd put a plug for the Hill/Historic Shaw Neighborhoods in 63110. These neighborhoods are near police and fire departments, have events each year (Historic Shaw Art Fair, Home Tour and The Bike Raise/other festivals). They both have great Catholic churches and neighborhood schools (Shaw has both St. Margaret's and Mullanphy Elementary is a fantastic magnet if your kids don't get into Kennard). Both neighborhoods have extremely pro-active and organized neighborhood associations... where neighbors report EVERYTHING in the city. There are awesome deals on housing now in these neighborhoods. Sure, it doesn't hurt to put a club on your car (never heard of anyone who had one getting their car stolen!!) Go to a neighborhood meeting, check it out, and check out how close you would be to downtown/40. Also, these neighborhoods are near the MO Botanical Garden... and have lots of SLU/WashU/BJC/Edward Jones residents... really stable, historic neighborhoods with charm... which is really wonderful.

I lived on Senate Street, near Salena in the Jefferson/Gravois area, which is a sister 'hood to Shaw, and within sniffing distance of the Brewery... never had a single crime that I knew of on our street.... not in 5 years...

Old 02-10-2008, 11:04 AM

238 posts, read 331,819 times
I grew up in the area between the hill and St. Louis hills on Hancock street. I also owned a house on Marmaduke, which is closer to the city limits between Arsenal and Southwest and that is a good area..it would also be easy to hop on McCausland and zip over to Clayton.

Moderator cut: TOS Violation

Last edited by autumngal; 03-22-2008 at 12:10 PM..

Old 02-10-2008, 12:49 PM

287 posts, read 350,379 times
sixtwobaldguy has a nickname that obviously tries to make himself feel tough, yet he lives in fear. Interesting.

My question is, if you find a house IN the city for $100k or less that is 2 or 3 bd and over 1200 sq ft , does that mean it is terribly outdated/scummy?

Old 02-10-2008, 01:43 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,825,170 times
Not necessarily, but I would be very wary of it. I'd certainly check it out first to see its condition and ask some people in the area about the neighborhood first.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:52 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,613,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojojohnson76 View Post
My question is, if you find a house IN the city for $100k or less that is 2 or 3 bd and over 1200 sq ft , does that mean it is terribly outdated/scummy?
Short answer? Almost certainly yes.

Condos can be that inexpensive, but a SFH under 100 is a tough find in a decent neighborhood.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:23 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,825,170 times
If it's that cheap and still decently livable, you could possibly buy it and fix it up. Then in a few years when the market goes back up either you have a nice house, or you can turn a profit.

But you'd have to be willing to do whatever repairs it needs done. I'm not sure if you're a person who likes interior design and repairs and stuff, though.

But if it's that cheap, I'd certainly check it out beforehand and be wary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis