Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 11:52 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,863,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anduarto View Post
Back to St. Louis: LOVE toasted ravioli, gooey butter cake and Imo's pizza (the secret is the provel cheese).
Oh my gosh...you ain't kiddin!!!

We could almost start a whole 'nother thread about Favorite St. Louis Foods!

You just listed three of the best! Other St. Louis faves of mine are the pork steaks (St. Louis-style BBQ), frozen custard, and IBC root beer.

And no matter how many times I go to this place called "Panera"...to me it is properly called and always will be the St. Louis Bread Company!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 03:52 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,807 times
Quote:

Back to St. Louis: LOVE toasted ravioli, gooey butter cake and Imo's pizza (the secret is the provel cheese).
those sound pretty yummy...oh oh, will I gain weight if we move there????

Old 01-28-2008, 08:14 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
If you eat as much gooey butter cake as you'd probably like to, then I'm sure you will. That stuff is amazing, but very very fattening.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
If you eat as much gooey butter cake as you'd probably like to, then I'm sure you will. That stuff is amazing, but very very fattening.
LOL! Yep. Best eaten in small doses...

But that's a lot easier said than done!

Old 01-28-2008, 01:38 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
, love that stuff, I make it all the time down here.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:26 PM

117 posts, read 411,023 times
Default Panera

Yeah, it's too bad the named changed from St. Louis Bread Company to Panera. I heard the company was advised to do so to disassociate itself with the "negative image" of St. Louis. What a crock of...

There's a Panera near me here in the Bronx and one on Cape Cod. They're always jammed so the company must be doing something right. But everyone I've talked to feel "Panera" is just kind of a generic name and "St. Louis Bread Company" has much more character.

Oh well, I go there a lot anyway. I enjoy it and feel like, in some small way, I'm supporting the hometown.

Am I right that Progresso is St. Louis based. It's good soup and, again I like support STL.

Pork Steaks are excellent and hard to find in the north east. I usually have to order them from the butcher. It's a pork butt, isn't it?

Also, "fresh ham" (non-cured or treated) my mom used to make it a lot. Don't see it here. A St. Louis thing or just my Mom? (It's delicious).

Old 01-30-2008, 12:38 PM

117 posts, read 411,023 times
Default Almost St. Louis things...

A couple other institutions I miss are White Castle and Steak n Shake.
Of course they aren't strictly St. Louis but they are some of my local faves. (I know, WC is an acquired taste and not everyone's favorite).

I'm pleased to say there are some White Castles in NYC. You have to ask them not to put ketchup on them though. (I don't think they come with ketchup in STL, do they?). It interferes with the oniony, greasy terrible goodness.

Steak n Shake is quite possible the perfect diner/restaurant. The nearest one is in Philadelphia (believe me, I checked).

Which reminds me, LOVE the Majestic on Euclid. Can't believe the Parkmoor is now a Walgreens

Last edited by anduarto; 01-30-2008 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-30-2008, 12:52 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
They put ketchup on them? Gross!

In the south they have Krystal's, which are like bad white castles and they put mustard on them!

Old 01-30-2008, 12:54 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
They put ketchup on them? Gross!

In the south they have Krystal's, which are like bad white castles and they put mustard on them!
Krystal's are AWFUL!!!! I buy frozen White Castles when I gotta have a fix.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it's too bad the named changed from St. Louis Bread Company to Panera. I heard the company was advised to do so to disassociate itself with the "negative image" of St. Louis. What a crock of...

There's a Panera near me here in the Bronx and one on Cape Cod. They're always jammed so the company must be doing something right. But everyone I've talked to feel "Panera" is just kind of a generic name and "St. Louis Bread Company" has much more character.
A-men!!! I couldn't agree more.

You know, certain locations/cities are just synonymous with awesome food! (New Orleans, New York, San Fran, Baltimore...) St. Louis is one of those places. With the rich ethnic mix in STL, great Old World recipes handed down, and countless superb local eateries...why wouldn't anyone associate St. Louis with great tastes?

So to say "St. Louis Bread" is too regionalized or carries negative connotations is just...absurd! It's like when they tried to genericize "Kentucky Fried Chicken" by eliminating "Kentucky"...perfectly silly. "Panera" sounds contrived and meaningless--like something a committee came up with.

But at least their product is still excellent--which in my mind, is why it'll always be St. Louis Bread And I too like going there knowing I'm supporting a STL-based enterprise

White Castle is actually based here in Columbus, O. I don't go there very often, but I don't mind it once in awhile. Ironically, the first time I ever went to a White Castle was...where else?...in St. Louis! West county...somewhere near Manchester maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis