Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2015, 07:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,981 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone
I am going to be working at Mercy hospital in Creve Coeur.
I would appreciate advice on a neighborhood to live.
I am looking for one with an urban vibe ,preferably close to a park and with lots to do in the vicinity.
On the other hand I prefer not more than a 25 minute commute to work.
I liked the CWE when I visited( the proximity to forest park is great and whole foods is opening soon ) but I am also thinking about Clayton since it would be a shorter commute.
My budget for rent is up to the low 2000s.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by mohamedbtom; 09-23-2015 at 07:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 07:41 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,749,286 times
Those are both good options, but I"d have to give the edge to the CWE. A lot more going on, a lot more forward momentum, busier than Clayton, and a lot more character. And if you commute via 64/40 it's only an extra 5 minutes on the highway from Clayton. Either way, $2,000 a month for rent will get you a very nice place in either location.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:35 AM

203 posts, read 271,484 times
CWE and Clayton are both great places to live. The CWE is more urban, walkable, and busier (at night) than Clayton. Clayton has urban features mixed with inner-ring suburbia which makes it ideal for families. But plenty of singles live there, too. Clayton has some great restaurants and bars, but if you walk around downtown Clayton on a Friday night, you would notice it's much less busy than the CWE. However, there is still lots to do.

In Clayton you will get great public services. Really good, responsive police; rear trash pickup if you're in a single family or duplex (apartments usually have dumpsters so it doesn't matter there). In the CWE you will pay a 1% earnings tax on your salary and actually get worse public services in return (Clayton is in the county and county residents don't pay the earnings tax if they don't work in the city).

I'm guessing you don't have kids, but if I'm guessing wrong then you should also know that Clayton has an excellent school district. That's not the case with the CWE.

Again, both are great places. Ultimately, it comes down to feel.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
Those are both good options, but I"d have to give the edge to the CWE. A lot more going on, a lot more forward momentum, busier than Clayton, and a lot more character. And if you commute via 64/40 it's only an extra 5 minutes on the highway from Clayton. Either way, $2,000 a month for rent will get you a very nice place in either location.
I will grant you that the CWE has more "character" than downtown Clayton. But have you driven around the residential neighborhoods in Clayton? There's quite a bit of "character."

I'm not trying to demean the CWE or promote Clayton over it. Just trying to give a fair picture.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,989 times
With CWE I was slightly worried about the commute.It would be around 10 or 11 miles,would that be more than a 20-25 minute commute around 7-8:30 in the morning?

Old 09-25-2015, 08:21 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
CWE is probably an extra 10 minutes on your work commute. But it's closer to everything else.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeslough View Post
With CWE I was slightly worried about the commute.It would be around 10 or 11 miles,would that be more than a 20-25 minute commute around 7-8:30 in the morning?
Shouldn't be more. Things can get slow on westbound I64 between Hampton and 170 but it shouldn't be that bad. It also depends on where you're at in the CWE. The city streets have pretty bad traffic light timing. But I don't think it would be longer than 25 minutes.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:37 PM

29 posts, read 34,621 times
CWE would definitely add an additional 20 minute (15 for sure) commute time during peak time. I love CWE -- close to everything but you would have to also think about commute time. You should decide the trade off.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:55 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
Live in CWE, look for a job at Barnes. Problem solved.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:59 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
Forest Park Parkway can be a great alternative to the 64.

The only way I would choose Clayton over the CWE is if I have children in public schools. Nightlife is non existent in Clayton. Nothing there after midnight on weekends. Saturday and Sundays Clayton can be quite boring even during the day.

Central West End is in a better location with easy access to other parts of the city.

Clayton is closer to retail in Richmond Heights like the Galleria and big box stores like Target and Nordstrom Rack.

Its kind of hard to write about the best. Just weigh your options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: