Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 05:30 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Expensive move.

St Louis loves my energetic personality and commitment to excellence.

St Louis is not even close to being like NoCal. Why did you move here thinking it would?

Don't care for Soulard because of the scene you described.

I guess I found my nitch here in a different way.
I wish St. Louis would act more like Cape Girardeau, Branson, Poplar Bluff, and Springfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 06:38 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I wish St. Louis would act more like Cape Girardeau, Branson, Poplar Bluff, and Springfield.
Four very different places in my experience. Thank goodness for variety.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:50 PM

395 posts, read 1,375,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKid89 View Post
One transplant's STL story:

Worked for AB in Fairfield, CA as a financial analyst for three years.
Very good at what I did and was promoted and moved to corporate in STL in 2008.
The STL environment was the precise opposite of NoCal.
They hated my outgoing, energetic personality.
They hated my driven work ethic and commitment to excellence.
I went to the happy hours in Soulard, Benton Park and many other places, and met more than my fair share of douchebag miserable locals.
I went to a corporate outing at a Cardinals/Giants game in 2012 (our second WS win in two years) wearing only my Giants hat and being exceptionally polite and well-mannered, and was treated like a leper from the mulleted Busch Tall Boy drinking crowd.
Other than a few restaurants and a major urban park of marginal safety as of late, STL was NOT impressive compared to a world-class city like SF. I moved back home in 2015 and could not be happier.
For you potential STL trransplants - particularly those of any advanced educational background - take a good, long look at this town beforw making the move. Its pace, indifference and pathetic self-aggrandizing is laughable.
I found my experience to be quite similar in STL.

I have an advanced educational background. I've traveled the world to over 30 countries, and lived in 5 of them. I speak 4 languages. I've won awards in my field. I'm extremely open-minded, social, and love meeting new people and new settings. I have partied with the 1% of the 1%. I in no way could ever move back to St. Louis because of this vapid, smug, and insular mentality that permeates the psyche of the majority. It has nothing to do with the city itself. Nothing to do with Missouri, or its beautiful setting and location. Purely the inhabitants and culture therein. It's sad because the place actually does have a good potential. One that I have accepted to never reach in my life time.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:48 PM

685 posts, read 767,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
I have an advanced educational background. I've traveled the world to over 30 countries, and lived in 5 of them. I speak 4 languages. I've won awards in my field. I'm extremely open-minded, social, and love meeting new people and new settings. I have partied with the 1% of the 1%. I in no way could ever move back to St. Louis because of this vapid, smug, and insular mentality that permeates the psyche of the majority. It has nothing to do with the city itself. Nothing to do with Missouri, or its beautiful setting and location. Purely the inhabitants and culture therein. It's sad because the place actually does have a good potential. One that I have accepted to never reach in my life time.
I, I, I.

...Ai-yai-yai.

Did you also set foot on the moon?

Old 07-24-2016, 09:04 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
I, I, I.

...Ai-yai-yai.

I once bowled a 247.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:31 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
I, I, I.

...Ai-yai-yai.

LOL. Well played. Maybe we just aren't good enough for him or her.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:32 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
I once bowled a 247.

I had a legit hole in 1 and I'm a lousy golfer.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I, I, I.

...Ai-yai-yai.

My point exactly. Thank you for further perpetuating the STL stereotype. Focusing on the finger instead of the moon.

How else should I describe myself? This is a forum where no one knows me. I'm not trying to brag but just giving perspective. And others LIKE ME, more than likely will feel the same way and leave or never stay.

Why can't people in STL be like "you know, these outside people are right. these kind of things do suck here, let's try to change that." They can't. They mentally can't because of a pervasive, cannibalistic insecurity that permeates the masses.

Most people I know in STL that have tried to change things face too much of a barrier and end up leaving. It's VERY hard to have talent remain in town. Ask some start-ups. Don't pull out some crappy stat book. Numbers and data do not translate to daily realities.

Fat guys with beer bellies (yes, a metaphor) that peaked in high school and 'the way we've always done it' types crack a joke or point out some small trivial problem while the fellow peasant herd-pack laugh in the background, and nothing ends up getting done. Like the man who made City Museum, arguably one of the true cool parts of the town, was murdered while working on his next big project. Because some crony didn't like him encroaching on his turf. MURDERED* while he devoted his life to bringing the city something it deserves.

This is STL, and this is why people with any ambition or skillz leave. People HATE progress. People HATE people that do better than others. Like crabs in a cage. The only way to remain happy is to keep your head down, raise a family in the burbs, and just be like everyone else.

*Yes, he was murdered. You have to be a fool to believe otherwise.

Last edited by chitownwarrior; 07-25-2016 at 01:22 PM..

Old 07-25-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
LOL. Well played. Maybe we just aren't good enough for him or her.

Or maybe it has to do with a city and its inhabitants that promote insecurity as its cultural norm.

Last edited by chitownwarrior; 07-25-2016 at 01:34 PM..

Old 07-25-2016, 09:00 PM

685 posts, read 767,865 times
If you didn't present yourself as a self-centered and condescending, you may have received a proper response. But instead, you entered the forum with insults and stereotypes.

With your persona, it will never matter what topic you are discussing. Your words speak more about yourself than anyone else. That is the irony of your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
Let's quote this again. It's so rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis