Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2016, 01:13 PM

383 posts, read 391,991 times

Advertisements

I don't watch television very often, but I recently came across a show on NatGeo called Drugs, Inc. For some strange reason I find it fascinating - but not in a good way. Some of the shows I have watched profiled Memphis, Detroit, and Houston, all cities in which I have lived. I never knew drugs were such an issue in our country. Of course, I do live in my own little ivory tower where I have never been exposed to this lifestyle (I don't even drink!), so that is no surprise.

Is anyone familiar with this show, and do they know if St. Louis has been profiled? (The show has been on for several seasons, but from the titles I cannot tell where all of the locations have been). How bad are drugs in St. Louis? I've read about it a little, and I talked to a police officer in my area that said they are everywhere in the metro area. I will admit to being very naive about the issue, possibly too naive (plus I am getting older, and this seems to affect the younger generation more). After watching these shows (especially the one filmed in Memphis), it made me wonder how prevalent are these issues here.

Love to hear any discussions on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 01:18 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,068,883 times
Drugs are a problem in every large metro in the US. They are everywhere.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:17 PM

I gathered that from the shows. I was just wondering if St. Louis is worse than the average large metro area. The location would make it a hub for activity, I would think. And with the crime problem - is a lot of that from drug issues?

Old 08-04-2016, 11:45 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,012,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyjudy View Post
I gathered that from the shows. I was just wondering if St. Louis is worse than the average large metro area. The location would make it a hub for activity, I would think. And with the crime problem - is a lot of that from drug issues?
I can't say relative to other cities, but St. Louis has a heroin problem big time. I don't think it is unique to St. Louis by any stretch, but it is real. I just read an article about it in Philly, as well.

It has impacted teens in the affluent suburbs, so it is not just an inner city problem. I'm somewhat attuned to this as I have teens in what is considered a very good, affluent suburb and school district, and there have been several deaths to heroin overdoses at the high school level.

Again, I don't know that this is specific to St. Louis, and I don't believe it is, but it is a serious issue.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:33 AM

It's clearly not specific to St. Louis, like you say. One of the remarkable things my family and I gather from these shows are that virtually none of the dealers use drugs themselves, and they admit how bad cocaine and heroin are for one's health! A lot of the users are white suburbanites from middle class families, it seems. Sadly, most all of them are addicted and wish they had never gone down this road. Very, very sad.

My kids (16, 13, 11) are homeschooled, so, until recently, have been completely ignorant of the issue. This has been enlightening to them, to say the least. I was just hoping that maybe St. Louis has not been as affected as badly as other cities such as Baltimore (On the show they said 60,000 people in Baltimore are addicted. The Memphis show was beyond startling-and my husband grew up there! Detroit (used to live there too) was bad, but not as bad as the above. New Orleans was a nightmare).

It's depressing, really. I hope there is a way to get a hold on this issue, but it doesn't look terribly promising with police being overwhelmed with that and gun violence. I'm not sure what the motivation is for getting involved in drugs in the first place, but it seems a lot of these kids are hopeless with not a lot of support or direction.

Regarding the comment about overdosing. One of the shows last night said that when someone dies from overdosing, that supplier gets overwhelmed with more business because it proves his product is good/pure. Unreal.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:09 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,873 times
Missouri was the meth capital of the country for years. I think the state finally got overtaken by Indiana and Tennessee.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:27 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,053,720 times
I agree that it is probably about the same in St. Louis as all the major cities you see on that show. I personally think all drugs should be legal. Heroin, meth and cocaine are bad news in my view - I would avoid anyone who actively uses these drugs. People have been seeking intoxication since the dawn of time, though. Alcohol creates more death and destruction than any of the criminalized street drugs, I would guess.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:31 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,030 times
As other's have stated...."everywhere" it exists. Demand is strong.

I agree with legalization of marijuana but do think "dangerous" drugs should remain illegal as a schedule 1 narcotic.

I do think there was a NatGeo show that focused on Meth production/ raids etc. in the Jefferson county area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: