Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 07:03 AM

186 posts, read 243,326 times

Advertisements

We are looking into relocating to the St. Louis area. any feedback on the Richmond heights neighborhood as far as safety and friendly neighbors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 09:06 AM

203 posts, read 271,484 times
Richmond Heights can be broken down into a few distinct areas. The west side of the city that borders the cities of Ladue and Brentwood and Clayton (like between Brentwood Rd and McKnight Rd) has upscale single family housing and is largely in the Ladue school district (oddly enough, RH is broken up into four school districts--Ladue, Maplewood/RH, Brentwood, and Clayton). That area is desirable and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend, but housing in that area will start at $500,000 more or less and go up from there.

The east side of the city has an area around Little Flower church and school on Boland that is filled with nicely maintained brick houses (think between Dale and Clayton Rd and west of Big Bend). This area is more affordable than the west side but the homes are smaller. There is a fairly tight knit community here that is largely focused on the Catholic parish Little Flower.

To the east of Big Bend, there is a less cohesive neighborhood that is the most affordable (note that part of this neighborhood, north of Wise Ave, is in the Clayton school district and will be more expensive for that reason). You can walk to a grocery store from the neighborhood and there's also a corner market at Wise and Belleview. This part of RH is not unfriendly, but I didn't find it to be the most friendly place either (I think I met more neighbors in a month at my current house in another inner-ring suburb than I did in 9 years in this neighborhood).

There are also two private neighborhoods in RH along Clayton Rd--Hampton Park and Lake Forest. Absolutely beautiful houses and neighborhoods...pricey, brings to mind a quote from a favorite movie: "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

Safety will be best on the west side. East side will have the odd stolen bike or car break-in, but nothing to be too concerned about.

Last edited by Hector2; 09-20-2016 at 09:36 AM..

Old 09-20-2016, 09:57 AM

383 posts, read 392,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector2 View Post
Richmond Heights can be broken down into a few distinct areas. The west side of the city that borders the cities of Ladue and Brentwood and Clayton (like between Brentwood Rd and McKnight Rd) has upscale single family housing and is largely in the Ladue school district (oddly enough, RH is broken up into four school districts--Ladue, Maplewood/RH, Brentwood, and Clayton). That area is desirable and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend, but housing in that area will start at $500,000 more or less and go up from there.

The east side of the city has an area around Little Flower church and school on Boland that is filled with nicely maintained brick houses (think between Dale and Clayton Rd and west of Big Bend). This area is more affordable than the west side but the homes are smaller. There is a fairly tight knit community here that is largely focused on the Catholic parish Little Flower.

To the east of Big Bend, there is a less cohesive neighborhood that is the most affordable (note that part of this neighborhood, north of Wise Ave, is in the Clayton school district and will be more expensive for that reason). You can walk to a grocery store from the neighborhood and there's also a corner market at Wise and Belleview. This part of RH is not unfriendly, but I didn't find it to be the most friendly place either (I think I met more neighbors in a month at my current house in another inner-ring suburb than I did in 9 years in this neighborhood).

There are also two private neighborhoods in RH along Clayton Rd--Hampton Park and Lake Forest. Absolutely beautiful houses and neighborhoods...pricey, brings to mind a quote from a favorite movie: "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

Safety will be best on the west side. East side will have the odd stolen bike or car break-in, but nothing to be too concerned about.
Here is a breakdown per the above comment:
http://www.richmondheights.org/docum...strict_Map.PDF

Old 09-20-2016, 10:08 AM

Thank you for the info!

Old 09-20-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiegal View Post
Thank you for the info!
You are very welcome. RH is a very diverse are, and you have many options in various price ranges. Very convenient to anything you need or want to do, too. However, the more affordable homes sell very quickly (My definition here being below $450,000). I live in Maplewood, which shares the school district. I am watching the market, as I am looking to sell early next year, and it's amazing how fast homes fly off the market, especially 2-3 bedrooms. I know a few people who have sold and are living in apartments waiting for houses to come on the market in the M/RH area. Craziness. Absolute craziness. Good luck to you. I think you will like this central location a lot, especially coming from Chicago.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:17 PM

We had a similar situation. We lived in a townhome community in the suburbs of Chicago and had a realtor contact us with a interested buyer and offer. We were never on the market! We sold, and lived in an apartment until we found our current condo. Well my husband got a job offer in St. Louis...so we are going to move again. He now commutes Monday a.m. And comes home Thursday night. It's a heck of a commute, so I've been researching online and we will probably end up moving within 6 months to a year. We visited new town St Charles over the weekend but I didn't care for it, no offense to any new towerers. St charles was a bit too rural for me, so we are looking at closer to the city...websters grove, maple wood, Richmond heights, Clayton etc. why are you moving if you don't mind me asking? And again thanks for your great info!

Old 09-20-2016, 01:28 PM

Glad to help. Sent more some info PM. All of those areas are good, including Brentwood, Ladue (Kirkwood, too but farther out). No offense to SC, but I wouldn't live there, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis