Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 10:22 AM

1,400 posts, read 863,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblawsonuk View Post
Budget is no more than $220,000. We would wish to avoid cookie cutter suburbia in that price range, but I know it won't be easy. Optimally, we would like to keep the work commute to no more than 30 minutes.
The more I read here and the more research I do, the more I am beginning the see the wisdom of purchasing on the MO side.
Columbia, IL is a nice small town with a rural feel that is within 30 min commute to the city. You would be able to find something under 220k. On the Missouri side maybe Oakville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 08:45 AM

3 posts, read 3,098 times
I think pretty much everything that has been said on this thread is true. Just a few other items, Belleville is in St. Clair County which is an extremely corrupt county. Edwardsville is in Madison County which seems to be starting to clean itself up.

Originally IDOT wanted to bring I-64 down the Hwy 15 corridor which would have had a very positive economic impact on Belleville but those hammer-headed Dutch fought it tooth and nail so IDOT moved it over to Fairview Heights.

Edwardsville is very near I-270 and there has been a lot of infrastructure improvement to Hwy 159 which has allowed Edwardsville to develop a thriving corridor. Its demographics are really appealing to chain stores so it has benefitted from a lot of development. But Edwardsville has also been able to keep its old downtown area vibrant with a lot of small independent shops.

One last plus for Edwardsville is that it has Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville which has a lot of positive impact to the area. Lindenwood University has a campus at Belleville but it is still relatively new and not as established as SIUE so it has not brought the same positive impact to Belleville yet.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:06 PM

720 posts, read 806,264 times
Default Updates, please.

Any recent viewpoints on this topic now that several years have passed? What are the current developments?

Old 08-22-2019, 11:08 PM

Default Bumping

Bump. Hoping someone sees my question

Old 08-23-2019, 03:08 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Basically the same as far as I know.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:37 PM

685 posts, read 767,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrdr View Post
Any recent viewpoints on this topic now that several years have passed? What are the current developments?
I stand with my original post, but some changes have occurred...

Belleville has gotten a Hofbrauhaus and Illinois is building a new Metrolink line to MidAmerica Airport. With Allegiant moving in, MidAmerica is actually busier now than I've ever seen it. Very convenient for vacation travel. I think Boeing recently expanded their operations there also. The surrounding areas, namely O'Fallon, Shiloh, and Mascoutah continue to grow. However, Lindenwood's satellite campus has closed or been scaled back.

Edwardsville is doing great. Development has finally reached I-55 and the University has completed several expansions. Amazon and the warehouse district (shared with Pontoon Beach) have made significant expansions, with new facilities along both 270 and 255. High residential prices reflect demand for the Edwardsville school district and a city government that is generally well-liked.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:51 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Basically the same as far as I know.
Thank you for answering.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:53 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
I stand with my original post, but some changes have occurred...

Belleville has gotten a Hofbrauhaus and Illinois is building a new Metrolink line to MidAmerica Airport. With Allegiant moving in, MidAmerica is actually busier now than I've ever seen it. Very convenient for vacation travel. I think Boeing recently expanded their operations there also. The surrounding areas, namely O'Fallon, Shiloh, and Mascoutah continue to grow. However, Lindenwood's satellite campus has closed or been scaled back.

Edwardsville is doing great. Development has finally reached I-55 and the University has completed several expansions. Amazon and the warehouse district (shared with Pontoon Beach) have made significant expansions, with new facilities along both 270 and 255. High residential prices reflect demand for the Edwardsville school district and a city government that is generally well-liked.
Thanks for that update!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis