Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 09:38 PM

10,020 posts, read 8,644,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I don't carry in there then here in Florida. Especially here in Florida where it's an actual crime to carry into prohibited places and will get you arrested if caught. In Missouri I didn't pay attention much as long as it wasn't a federal building because federal law prohibits it. Of course I didn't carry in the police station because that's just not a good idea and courthouse obviously because they search you.

In Missouri carrying into a prohibited place with a ccw permit will only get you a citation such as if you carry into a courthouse by accident or school, college campus or stadium if caught compared to FL it's a felony depending on location.

However with permit less concealed carry in Missouri carrying into a prohibited place such as a college or courthouse WILL get you arrested for unlawful use of a weapon if caught.

That is a key to remember in Missouri with constitutional carry law is be careful not to accidently carry into a gun free zone if you chose not to have a ccw permit. The optional ccw permit in Missouri gives you more protections if caught carrying in a prohibited location versus a person who carries on permit less carry faces a much stiffer penalty versus just getting a citation as a ccw holder.

Here in Florida most of the Sheriffs stations and police stations have big signs with large wording about carrying into them will get you arrested, at least my county does on each of their buildings including the courthouse.
Do you leave your gun at home when you go to places that prohibit guns, or do you leave it in your vehicle ?
That's why I'll probably never carry a gun. Too many thieves around here to leave it in my car, and if I carried it with me and something happened to me, a stroke or something, someone would just lift it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 11:41 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,348,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Do you leave your gun at home when you go to places that prohibit guns, or do you leave it in your vehicle ?
That's why I'll probably never carry a gun. Too many thieves around here to leave it in my car, and if I carried it with me and something happened to me, a stroke or something, someone would just lift it.
I always have a firearm in my car everywhere I go including work. The center council has a lock on it and I simply lock it. Honestly here in FL I keep my gun in the car a lot because I like carrying larger firearms and it's easy to accidently print or show when you wear light clothing due to the warmer weather in south florida. In Missouri I didn't care because there was nothing they could do to me if I was open carrying by accident or not.

Many in Florida even pro gunners hate open carry while in many places in Missouri it's a fairly common practice for many years. Missouri has always been an open carry state even before ccw passed in 2003 except a few cities banned open carry. However in Missouri with a CCW permit you can open carry in cities than forbid open carry because the permit overrides it. Another advantage of having a permit still is you can open carry anywhere in MO. Permit less carry only covers concealed carry.

Downtown Stl people have open carried a few times to test the new law and no one stopped them or anything.

Stl city does have an ordinance against open carry, however the St. Louis circuit attorney said they currently do not enforce it due to the state laws, constitution. I think that is a smart move on purpose they do knowing that someone on purpose would be a test case and then possibly challenge it to MO Supreme Court and get that pre-emption thrown out as well and no city in MO would be able to enforce open carry ordinances citing that amendment 5 passed in 2014 protecting the right to bear arms.

The amendment passed in 2014 rewording the right to bear arms in Missouri has given Missouri some of the strongest protections in the country. Our Florida constitution is terrible regarding it currently. It clearly is worded to allow lawmakers to regulate carrying of arms and also has waiting periods amended to it. Recently a guy challenged open carry to Florida supreme court and lost his case.

Historically the MO supreme court has been very pro gun especially the current justices. Each time a case is brought the anti gunners lose big.

If HB 630 doesn't pass in time this year MO could still get campus carry in public colleges due to the professors court case via the courts. See the current ccw law for permit holders makes it up to the colleges to determine it and that Mizzou professor was denied that right. With the new amended constitution he possibly could have a case with his rights being violated.

Old 04-24-2017, 12:43 PM

13,611 posts, read 4,937,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post

Many in Florida even pro gunners hate open carry while in many places in Missouri it's a fairly common practice for many years. Missouri has always been an open carry state even before ccw passed in 2003 except a few cities banned open carry. However in Missouri with a CCW permit you can open carry in cities than forbid open carry because the permit overrides it. Another advantage of having a permit still is you can open carry anywhere in MO. Permit less carry only covers concealed carry.
I've never understood why anybody feels the need to carry a gun around everywhere you go. Maybe if you're going into a particularly bad neighborhood. But in general, it might make you feel more comfortable, but it makes everyone around you, good guys and bad guys, less safe. Gets so I don't dare honk at another car, because the driver might take offense and shoot me.

The other thing I don't understand is open vs concealed carry. Seems to me that open carry is safer, because everyone can clearly see who is carrying. Seems to me they should require a permit for open carry and a special permit for concealed, or prohibit concealed carry altogether.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:34 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,868,484 times
My husband has his concealed carry permit and loves his guns... but I honestly don't remember the last time any of them left the gun safe!

When we first moved to St. Louis, he was a bit on the paranoid side and used to keep his gun in the car when he went to college at night for classes (he went to Ranken, in North St. Louis and often didn't get off until 10pm) but he's been out of college a few years now and hasn't felt the need to carry since.

I've never carried or felt the need to, even when I worked night shifts downtown.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:41 PM

17 posts, read 12,719 times
We have lived in the Carolinas, Nebraska, Green Bay, a Chicago suburb and now here. We just moved 6 months ago, but so far we all like it. Folks are generally nice, people seem to be raising their kids with those good MidWestern values and people don't drive like jerks. The kids at our school act their age and are nice to my kids. The parents have been welcoming and we are all making friends. We hope to be here until the kids graduate from high school.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:20 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,978,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movin Mama 209 View Post
We have lived in the Carolinas, Nebraska, Green Bay, a Chicago suburb and now here. We just moved 6 months ago, but so far we all like it. Folks are generally nice, people seem to be raising their kids with those good MidWestern values and people don't drive like jerks. The kids at our school act their age and are nice to my kids. The parents have been welcoming and we are all making friends. We hope to be here until the kids graduate from high school.
I agree with most of what you have written except the driving part.

I've also lived in Chicago and Charlotte and Durham and think St. Louis is very livable.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:47 PM

High auto insurance? Come on down here to Southwest Florida then. Auto insurance is higher here in Florida due to the influx of immigrants who drive like their home country, old people who can't see, and northeasterners who are terrible drivers. Not to offend you since you're from Boston but I'm just being honest. They're bad drivers and have an attitude too. Home owners insurance is a lot higher here in Florida due to all the hurricanes 10 years ago. Especially if you live near the coast which of course is where just about everyone in Florida lives unless you're up by Orlando.

Overall, Missouri is a lot cheaper especially St. Louis than down here. The jobs don't pay any better in Florida compared to Missouri yet most things cost more down here. Groceries are expensive because Publix has an monopoly here. In St. Louis you had three major grocery stores.

I end up going to Wal-Mart and buying the same groceries for cheaper.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-28-2017 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: The post you replied to was deleted.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I agree with most of what you have written except the driving part.

I've also lived in Chicago and Charlotte and Durham and think St. Louis is very livable.
St. Louis drivers are far far better than what you see here in Florida. You wouldn't believe all the bad accidents we have down here. It's scary especially during the winter season. It boggles my mind how people drive down here in Florida. Road rage is really bad too due to the road congestion. The roads and infrastructure is about 10 years behind here in Florida.

Even though you don't have to worry about black ice and that here in southwest Florida, overall it's very dangerous driving on the highway. I'd take St. Louis traffic any day to the stuff down here.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:05 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Daughter and SIL are moving to St Charles. He has a business and they are happy about it. They are moving from Ohio, where their property taxes are very high. Since they are now empty nesters, they do not care to support an expensive school system.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:44 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,604,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Since they are now empty nesters, they do not care to support an expensive school system.
Well, I mean, they might not have kids but they still have doctors and lawyers and mechanics and cashiers and so on, right? I mean, people don't actually think this way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis