Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2008, 09:43 AM

63 posts, read 223,309 times

Advertisements

When we get to St. Louis at the end of July we will have only 10 days to pick a home and put a contract on it.

Can anyone tell me what areas in the west and/or south that the houses sell quickly and where they are sitting on the market for a long time?

What about the Illinois side? Where do they go fast and where do the sit for a long time?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 10:03 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
There's only two areas I know specifically about.

A close friend's family lives in Des Peres near Manchester Rd and houses there in the past 6 months have consistently sold within a week of listing.

Houses in St. Peters where my family lives at Harvester and the new 364 are a bit trickier. If they are priced correctly they sell just fine, but several houses in the area that are overpriced have sat for a long time.

We had neighbors who moved into their house about 3 years ago. They undertook renovations to a home that didn't need them and then got laid off in the middle. They were trying to sell their house for more than they paid for it and it was in shambles. They had undertaken some sort of do-it-yourself landscaping project and bags of this or that sat on their front lawn the entire time they were selling. Needless to say it sat on the market... and then it sat for more... and then they foreclosed. A nice family picked it up for a song, redid it and now I'm sure it would sell in a heart beat.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:28 PM

63 posts, read 223,309 times
Wow. That is pretty impressive if houses are selling that quickly!! We were on the market for 7 months in Kansas City and told that we were lucky we sold. That was with pricing our house $15,000 below the appraised value. There is a huge abundance of houses just sitting in KC right now. I was kinda hopin St. Louis would be the same way so that we could get a good deal. Maybe the bad housing market isn't all over the US like the media would like us to believe.
Linda

Old 04-03-2008, 08:36 PM

366 posts, read 1,745,093 times
I don't know of any areas where you can say homes are selling fast on the whole. It always depends on supply and demand. Right now, the supply is pretty good in all areas so homes are on the market, on average, longer now. If one sells fast, it most likely, was priced right from the start, and a lot of luck. True, an area that has a lot of room to build, as well as a lot of unfinished new subdivisions, such as the St. Charles County area does now, could have a lot to do with homes lasting longer on the market. But again, that's because there is a lot of supply. If you're a buyer looking to be in the home a long time, that is also the environment that could get you the best buy. I wouldn't worry about where they are selling quickly or not, I'd tell your realtor what you're looking for in a home, and most likely you'll be able to find what you're looking for in the ten days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis