Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:21 PM

216 posts, read 627,795 times

Advertisements

Oye!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 09:59 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,047 times
So sad.

Say hello to the "great belgian lager".

What a horrible day. Not surprised, though. Not the first time an American company has been bought out. I'm guessing InBev's gonna move Anheuser-Busch headquarters now.

Evil Inbev sucks.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:08 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,799 times
They are keeping the HQ in St. Louis. I'm disappointed, this results in the loss of an American institution, and results in fewer and fewer companies, less competition, and fewer channels for wealth to flow.

Old 07-14-2008, 05:23 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,056,574 times
I understand and agree, to large extent, to the feelings here. However - IMHO, don't blame InBev just in and of themselves... they were half of the equation. To have a sale, there must also be a seller - and that dear friends is the AB board and the AB stock holders. They agreed to this sale [granted, InBev pushed EXTREMELY hard], yet to their 'greed' is why this sale went through - did they agree to sell primarily for a long-term what-is-best for AB? I wager not.

What with Coors and Miller merged, and now InBev and AB... yeap, where is the main competition with the "big boys"?
Reason number two why this fella doesn't buy any of their products!

Old 07-14-2008, 09:10 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,571,982 times
Totally agree with your excellent post, ShadowCaver! Greed is the name of the game. And it has been for a long time. This is not the first example nor will it be the last, of an American company changing horses. (Hmmmm, pun there?) I do not buy AB products. But, it still was a St. Louis company and I was happy that they were there. According to the news, the name will be A-B InBev, and AB will have 2 seats on the board. Whooppee!

Anyway, we'll see what the future will bring to this once traditional company of St. Louis. Some are concerned about Grant's Farm and other AB institutions. Wonder what will happen?

Old 07-14-2008, 10:36 AM

216 posts, read 627,795 times
I worry that a company with a "slash and burn" reputation will not give a hoot about supporting a not for profit like Grants Farm...why would they? I can't even imagine how much it must take to maintain the animals, grounds, etc. I believe past behavior predicts future behavior and take all that they are saying about keeping the HQ in St Louis with a grain of salt. My fingers are crossed, but I am doubtful.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:41 AM

InBev won't do ANYTHING to help St. Louis. I doubt they'll keep Grant's Farm either. It's all about money. A few big companies controlling all the beer. So much for free trade.

Anheuser-Busch as we knew it is dead. We'd might as well get used to it.

Yet another company moving out of St. Louis.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:43 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,615,463 times
I cried. I mean literally cried.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:49 AM

I wish companies would stop moving out of St. Louis.

Compared to the rest of the country, it has cheaper gas (on the Missouri side), cheaper cost of living, and it's pretty close to the middle of the country.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:00 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,056,574 times
STLCardsBlues1989 - AB is NOT moving out of StL. Its "just" that they no longer will have the final say, the final authority of what happens - InBev will. As to Grant's Farm, and all the wonderful great charity and support that AB has provided that makes me and all very proud of AB, supposssssssedly InBev is NOT going to change anything.

However, of course we all know very well that what one says now and what one does later [when times/markets/conditions change] may likely vary. At this time, all we can go by are (a) what InBev and AB has stated in their press reports [reading them of course with a jaded political eye ], and (b) InBev's history, as a guide of what MAY happen.

{note, for just one example, and this is from a AB guy... : "Anheuser-Busch has agreed to sell itself to Belgium-based InBev for $52 billion - despite the fact that AB CEO August Busch IV swore in April that a deal would not happen during his tenure." Last I checked, he is still tenured...}

Also, InBev "promises" that Grants Farm, the Clydesdales, and all other of the things that AB has done, shall continue - "why kill/damage what is popular and helps us sell". On that note - THANK YOU to AB for all that they have done, and here's a toast to many more years of your great beneficiary to StL city and region.

Going back to my first part here - that is what is going to be the hardest: AB losing its independence. And its part in Americana - a very powerful marketing presence, one that gave our city a proud voice. I am NOT happy this sale has happened, not at all. However, its a different world than what my heart desires - its one where money/profits itself and shrewd networking globalizing money people make the deals...

ps: STLCardsBlues1989 - what beer do you like to drink?

pps: quite good article here: http://www.kentucky.com/524/story/460310.html (broken link)

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 07-14-2008 at 04:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis