Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 12:06 PM

7 posts, read 16,772 times

Advertisements

First off, thank you all for your input. I can't tell you how valuable and helpful all of this is!

Icy roads.....sounds pretty tricky. Is that a skill that you just acquire? I was born in Ohio and lived there until I was 10, so that doesn't come as a shock, but I obviously never drove there.

In Sacramento, we have separate companies for gas and electric. Is that the same in the entire St. Louis area, or does it vary geographically? Along those lines...is it common to bundle phone and internet service? Is cable TV or satellite TV more common? Right now we have DirecTV, mainly for the purpose of the NFL package. I am a long-time diehard Rams fan. I'm not sure if that makes me crazy or what! After the super bowl win, I dumped champagne over my own head in the backyard!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 12:20 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,047 times
Driving on icy roads you just have to be careful. Saying that, I haven't tried yet (still learning), but I don't think my parents have ever had an accident due to ice or snow. Basically, when it's icy outside, just drive slow and watch where you're going. If it's that bad out, then don't travel if you can help it. But as long as you're a good driver you should be able to adapt.

Rams are usually on local stations, if they're not blacked out (but from my understand that doesn't happen that often). The Blues (if you're into hockey) are on FSN on weekdays and KPLR/CW-11 on weekends. Most games are covered. Most Cardinals weekday games are on FSN and most weekend Cardinal games are on KSDK/WB-49. Hopefully by 2010 or 2011 St. Louis will have MLS as well.

Do you guys have a date set for your move? What does your family think about it? Just curious. I hope your neighbors don't think you're crazy for moving to the icy winter in St. Louis.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:02 PM

Probably late in December. Great timing, eh?

Since the Rams games are already on, it sounds like I can dump DirecTV if I wanted to.

I'd appreciate any advice about what phone, internet, and TV services you'd all recommend.

Thanks!

Old 10-30-2008, 01:41 PM

215 posts, read 712,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoBankerGuy View Post
Probably late in December. Great timing, eh?

Since the Rams games are already on, it sounds like I can dump DirecTV if I wanted to.

I'd appreciate any advice about what phone, internet, and TV services you'd all recommend.

Thanks!
Be careful about dumping Directv. I would check to see if you are under contract first. If you are and you cancel, you will have to pay cancellation fees. Directv will move you for free, and will usually give you some kind of deal when you move.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by storey13 View Post
Be careful about dumping Directv. I would check to see if you are under contract first. If you are and you cancel, you will have to pay cancellation fees. Directv will move you for free, and will usually give you some kind of deal when you move.
That makes sense, thanks. I'm wondering, though, if an apartment or home owner will allow a renter to attach a satellite dish.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:57 PM

596 posts, read 889,636 times
Maybe we could leave it for whomever rents our house in Sacramento?

Old 10-30-2008, 02:17 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,047 times
It probably depends on the landlord. My sister's renting (not in St. Louis though) and her landlord let her get satellite. But when you move you'd probably have to leave the dish there, since taking it back down might cause some damage (just guessing here).

Old 10-30-2008, 03:34 PM

166 posts, read 489,866 times
Even if DirecTV were option for the rental, my preference has always been toward Digital Cable.

So far as the concern about icy roads.... During roughly 15 years of driving back there it was rarely an issue, especially in/near the city. Snow is much more common than ice, and they do treat the roadways. I heard last year was pretty bad in MO for ice, but the last time is was that terrible was back in the winter of 90/91 from my understanding.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:42 AM

522 posts, read 1,610,024 times
It depends on how important a pool is to you. The swimming season is not long but summers are hot, even at night and I used to love to go swimming at night when I lived there. The metrolink is not as good as most mass transit systems in major cities. Anyway, you will like it there, people are friendly, family oriented and it is affordable. The one thing you might not like is that it's pretty conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis