Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 11:52 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashels View Post
The thing I hate most about St. Louis is how close minded some people can be. I really feel that in order for a city to become diverse it has to be an appealing place for geographical reasons, opportunity, etc. In St. Louis there is no middle class, people are really rich or really poor. The rich ones will never put money into the city to help it grow and North County and East St. Louis will continue to scare people off. It's sad because the city does have a lot of potential, but it has basically been on a downward slope for a long time. I was born in St. Louis but realized very quickly that my dreams could only go so far and moved for a better opportunity
St Louis is not diverse? St Louis does not have a middle class? St Louis rich people never put any money into the city? St Louis on a downward slope?

St Louis has a lot of potential - that is about the only truth within your statements...

Curious what dreams you had that could not be achieved w/in the StL area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 07:13 PM

148 posts, read 403,909 times
Quote:
In St. Louis there is no middle class, people are really rich or really poor. The rich ones will never put money into the city to help it grow and North County and East St. Louis will continue to scare people off. It's sad because the city does have a lot of potential, but it has basically been on a downward slope for a long time. I was born in St. Louis but realized very quickly that my dreams could only go so far and moved for a better opportunity
I'm guessing you didn't move to California, or else you would see that St. Louis has a massive...massive middle class.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:44 PM

160 posts, read 518,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeAndBeer View Post
I'm guessing you didn't move to California, or else you would see that St. Louis has a massive...massive middle class.
Very true! There is a HUGE middle class in STL. I won't even touch the previous comment about not being 'diverse'......please! I can't stop laughing about that one.....

Old 08-04-2009, 08:46 PM

711 posts, read 2,108,206 times
lol - I guess I'm "really rich" on my $50k salary, stay at home wife, and 2 year old son. Lucky me!

Old 08-05-2009, 02:00 AM

10 posts, read 22,494 times
Actually I did make the move thank you for asking. :-) It's pretty obvious that people who get the most upset about my initial post are still wondering what high school everyone went to

Old 08-05-2009, 04:25 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Actually I did make the move thank you for asking. :-) It's pretty obvious that people who get the most upset about my initial post are still wondering what high school everyone went to
Its interesting that you have nice things to say about the Lou on other threads, whats up with that?
Its also very clear that with what you do for a living, your clientele is drawn from the middle class, was there not enough business for your skill set? I have a cousin that does the same thing in a salon downtown, she could not be busier.
I really do not wish to know what high school you attended, btw, but thanks for the comment, I am sure yours was just as lovely as mine!

Old 07-03-2010, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,321 times
The climate overall, and especially the humidity.
We also have a proportionately larger occurrence of "bad air quality" days to many other cities. This results in higher rates of pulmonary illness and concerns.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:24 PM

694 posts, read 1,357,200 times
What I hate about St Louis? Cant say that I do. Great city in my humble opinion. I prefer the country life but would visit St Louis a lot more often if it wasn't so blooming far away. Cardinals baseball, the Arch, the area with outdoor restaurant's just north of the arch, a great zoo, the science center, two of the largest rivers in the nation passing thru .... if we could just get Amtrak to run down to Springfield. That would make it perfect.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:36 PM

662 posts, read 1,049,241 times
This thread is still alive?

Old 07-03-2010, 07:49 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,498,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESH1974 View Post
The climate overall, and especially the humidity.
We also have a proportionately larger occurrence of "bad air quality" days to many other cities. This results in higher rates of pulmonary illness and concerns.

While the air in St. Louis is not the cleanest in the U.S., it's certainly not the dirtiest either. St. Louis actually has a lower-than-national-average number of ****e air quality days.

Pulmonary illness? Take a look around at the large amount of obese people here inhaling pork butt steaks, gooey butter cake, frozen custard, etc. and then chasing it with a cigarette. Air quality has nothing to do with it, there is simply a large population ignorant people in St. Louis with regard to health/nutrition.

I moved to Edwardsville, IL a few weeks ago and the overall healthiness/quality of life/friendliness factors have ramped up exponentially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis