Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Choosing between Madison and St.L, tell me about st Louis apartments for rent. I've also heard a lot about crime, domestic violence and assault with a deadly weapon, and I want to feel safe.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:02 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
St. Louis overall is a very moderate metro community. You will find people who find it too this or too that. It is definitely not a progressive place to live in general, or in comparison to the rest of the U.S. Will it be more so than some place and less so than another, yes. Overall is it progressive, no. And, that's good, bad, or indifferent depending on your point of view.
One of the positive things about St. Louis is that people actually talk about things other than politics - baseball, football, church, their families.

When I lived there, Madison reminded me of my days at Oberlin - you couldn't go a day without the "protest du jour."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 07:27 AM

80 posts, read 159,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
Progressive and liberal are not interchangeable words.
Progressive and liberal are very much interchangeable words. Just by the nature of these words they are interchangeable, as they are two different words.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 02-10-2009, 10:27 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
The definition of interchangeable:

Quote:
permitting mutual substitution without loss of function or suitability

Old 11-10-2009, 10:15 AM

16 posts, read 52,135 times
I have lived in Madison, WI and about to move to STL from Texas. I would just like to say this about Madison, WI. If you ever plan to have kids then don't move to Madison because the public schools there stink. We realized this when we moved to Texas and found our children were getting a much better education here. I don't know about the schools in St. Louis but they are rated higher on the scale on Greatschools.com. That is a great website to check out if you need to find schools. If you wanted a smaller town near there, Waunakee or DeForest are both great town.

We did like Madison alot before we had kids. Made lots of great friends. There are very nice people there and the traffic is not bad at all. You just have to learn to drive slower. But then again we are used to the horrible traffic in Dallas.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:37 PM

32 posts, read 76,584 times
You probably made your decision by now, but I say go to St. Louis. The weather is much better and that makes a big difference.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:19 PM

270 posts, read 656,295 times
I would say Madison. One day I saw a guy in his car eating get attacked by a group of black kids. Crime is out of control unless you stay in areas that are mostly white. Some people will cry racism, but time and time again I've seen the same thing: young, black males attacking whites. It's not black guys in suits doing it. It's not older black males doing it. It's wrong to say that the area has a problem with black males. From what I am seeing though, the area has a population specific problem that no one wants to admit to. It's young black males who are dressed like thugs targeting white victims in the area. From the belleville bus beating to the several incidents of violence I've seen while living here, the theme repeats itself over and over and that reality is a primary cause of white flight.

Unfortunately, it's not likely to change anytime soon, in part because political correctness prevents the real issues of the area from being addressed and part because citizens would rather stay out of the mess than really address the address very real issues in the area. I would just recommend avoiding the area. I will be moving to take a new position next summer outside of the area. It's just not worth it to live around here.

Last edited by sixtwobaldguy; 11-10-2009 at 09:31 PM..

Old 11-10-2009, 10:05 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,540 times
^ As always, so brilliant and eloquent. For the love of God, please just move already. Where in the world do you live that you have seen people attacked? I have been in the area six years and have yet to witness anything close to that. You always seem to have some sort of agenda in your posts about black or poor "areas".

Old 11-10-2009, 10:45 PM

252 posts, read 960,874 times
Sixtwobaldguy's views are pretty skewed. Anyone who has studied crime will tell you that most crime is intra-racial, not inter-racial (i.e., black on black, or white on white). I think this business about hordes of young black men seeking out white victims says more about the above poster's fears and paranoia than it does about the reality of crime in St. Louis.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:12 AM

270 posts, read 656,295 times
Yes, the attacks I've seen were all in areas where one might expect them to take place. If you stay in areas that are 60% or better white you probably won't see much crime. However, when you get into areas that are 60-70% black, crime is pretty easy to find if you should get outside of your car. I've personally seen 4 instances of black males (all young, all dressed like thugs) attacking white people out of the blue. Once was in the Central West End, the other three were less desirable areas. It isn't that they are black that's making them do it, if that were true black people everywhere and of every class would be similarly behaved. It's a certain attitude that is invasive in poor, black communities in the area that is causing these issues.

As Todd points out, black crime issues in general actually affects other black people far more than whites. For whites, they tend to move after a couple of incidents and then it's not much an issue anymore (white flight).

Fears have nothing to do with it, I am basing this on what I've seen happen. This isn't the only reason I am moving, of course, but I have no problem admitting it is a contributing factor in my exit of the area.

Last edited by sixtwobaldguy; 11-11-2009 at 12:34 AM..

Old 11-11-2009, 10:13 AM

147 posts, read 383,901 times
SixTwo says move to Madison because there are fewer black people there. Got it. Check.

Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis