Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:12 AM

19 posts, read 70,958 times

Advertisements

Good info TSOLfan...thanks! Having some on-site intel is always awesome. Hoping to do my house hunting prior to PCS BUT my current job is being obstinate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 06:58 PM

7 posts, read 24,929 times
The metrolink is a great idea for you guys! It's fairly cheap, and a lot less headache than going through the gate every morning. WE are stationed at Scott, and are here through february. If you need help with anything just DM me, and I will try to help. We live on base, and love the house.
Soulard is a great place, not too much crime, and great neighborhood.
Good luck!

Old 04-10-2009, 02:07 AM

287 posts, read 1,087,189 times
I had a friend whose husband was stationed at Scott, and she said all the local realtors told her O'fallon. Good schools, close to base, older, small-town layout with several new subdivisions. Something for everyone! And I think Ofallon has a pretty good resale value as well, given the high turnover of a section of its resident.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:29 PM

Im in a quandry right now about living near the base (O'Fallon) or getting a loft and taking the metro everyday...if I can ever get boots on the ground for a visit that would help me make up my mind methinks!

Old 04-17-2009, 11:03 AM

14 posts, read 92,192 times
From what I have been told by my POC at Scott, if you are young and single, downtown is the way to go. If you have a family, O'Fallon is probably more appealing. I think it also depends on what you are doing at the base and what your hours will be. My hours won't be the usual 9-5, so the Metro won't work for me, but the drive really isn't bad. Hopefully you can get out there and decide for yourself! Good Luck!

Old 05-01-2009, 01:28 PM

12 posts, read 19,057 times
Hey folks,

Moving to Scott myself in June. Been racking my brain trying to figure out where to live.

Typically, I have always lived close to the base, but I kinda like the idea of not driving.

What exactly is the loft distrct and how long is the METRO ride? Thanks in advance

Old 05-03-2009, 09:37 PM

81 posts, read 327,633 times
My family and I are looking to move in June...I have found several sites online to find rental homes...would I have any luck driving around the area to look for "For Rent" signs? Also, what are some local newspapers I can look up online for their classified ads?

Old 05-03-2009, 10:06 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,836,883 times
The loft district is on Washington Avenue in Downtown St. Louis. It seems to be a pretty hip area. It's mostly renovated warehouses and factories. Last I heard occupation for rental units Downtown was 88%. I'm not sure about the Loft District specifically. Brickmama could tell you more about it.

Try the tripfinder. Metro TripFinder - Transit Itinerary Trip Planner: - -
Might give you an idea of the commute from Downtown to Scott.
I believe the Scott Airforce Base station is Shiloh Scott station.
Keep in mind, there have been some service cuts.

Best of luck!

Old 05-04-2009, 09:55 AM

Here is some info I have been able to glean from my research...oh I am PCS'ing to Scott AFB October this year:
Looks like a pretty consistent 40 min METRO ride from 8th and Pine (a Loft district station give or take a few blocks) station to Scott AFB (Shiloh station). Last train arrives there (Scott) each eve 11:41PM (going off 30 Mar tables). There are LOTS of early morning and normal working hour rides avail in my estimation. The metro definitely looks like a player for my schedule if indeed I live in "The LOU"!

How do ya like that St Louis peeps...i'm using your lingo now!

Old 05-04-2009, 09:12 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,928,024 times
The loft district is a section of Washington Ave from 6th to 18th that contains warehouses rehabbed into loft apts and condos. The street was redone earlier this decade which has spurred a large amount a development. The street has state of the art lighting and contains street level retail. Most of the retail is trendy bars, restaurants, pubs, shops, markets, clothing stores, a bowling alley, convention center, hotels, and other everyday needs. Its considered one of the more vibrant walkable streets in STL. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis