Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 09:44 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,026,507 times

Advertisements

Of all the places that I have lived, I think Long Island has it almost figured it out.

The countys (Nassau and Suffolk, each) have consolidated the police forces into the Suffolk County Police and The Nassau County Police (Most FDs are volunteer).

They have a town system which lets cities and villages retain their identities, but are able pass laws across jurisdictions and spread services evenly though out the town)

There are some exceptions some cities/villages have incorporated with their own mayors, police services (Port Jeff and Muttontown come to mind) but they are the exception rather than the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 01:25 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,777,320 times
I've seen Indianapolis and Louisville thrown out as "successes". I wouldn't be so quick to claim success there. While the suburbs have prospered from the merger and cut costs, it has been mostly at the expense of the cities which have lost services while paying more taxes. City of Indianapolis has been particularly hard hit because of its previous reliance on special districts while Louisville's problems have stemmed in a large part from the use of suburban fire districts. We have both of those issues here that could hit the city with a double whammy in a merger.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:34 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,521,420 times
I do at the very least see it as starting to be more likely in the long run, the biggest stumbling blocks are a bunch of small fiefdoms that don't want to give up their power. Also unfortunately race plays the white elephant in the room in any consolidation plans.

Also in the long run a conglomorated city should also include part of the adjacent counties as well. (Now could a unified city in more than one state work?) Of course some sort of borough system is also something to be discussed so some level of local autonomy is planned which would make it more palatable.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:19 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,851,645 times
Slay aide, Clayton mayor talk regional cooperation - STLtoday.com (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/7F7898DFF02CA40C862576F2001492F9?OpenDocument - broken link)

Old 04-15-2010, 12:47 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,603,703 times

YouTube - city county merger

this is tonight. Watch it.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:58 PM

325 posts, read 852,492 times
"the county's reputation?!"
blech. It's exactly that attitude that makes me want to stay separate.
But, I'll watch. And I promise, with an open mind.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:40 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,936,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moses ware View Post
I hope this will take place.Just call it st.louis, this will create a city of 1.3million people we can compete with other cities.
Wouldn't the city of St Louis still be its own city, only it would be part of St Louis County? If so, the county would be 1.3 million, but the city would still be the same as it is today.

I can see that happening. Simply bringing St Louis City into the county.

Now making the entire county a single city with or without St Louis City being part of it seems nearly impossible as much of the county has established incorporated suburbs. You could probably do that with some of the un-incorporated areas like South County and create a new large suburb, but no way the entire county. It does suck that StL gets hit hard with crime stats because of its size though. KCMO has a high crime rate even though half of it is low crime suburbia, I don't want to know what KCMO's crime stats would be if it didn't have the Northland and other areas to offset the east side's violent crime stats.

Bringing the city into the county wouldn't really change much about St Louis as far as stats etc, but it's probably long over due for more internal reasons such as revenue sharing, cooperation, duplication of county services such as courts, judges, police and of course a more unified government to deal with metro transit, the culture tax etc.

Hope you make it happen (bringing the city into the county).

Making the county a single city of 1.3 million? That's one hell of a pipe dream, but I would love to see that happen too. Might be able to do it if you let St Charles County have Chesterfield or let Chesterfield become its own "county".

Old 04-16-2010, 10:46 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,878,421 times
^
HA! Chesterfield would never be a part of St Charles County, they would rather die (and I don't blame them).
I disagree, I think it would change the stats drastically. No more most dangerous list, most miserable, highest STD's, etc etc.
For years these "lists" unfairly represented STL by a very small portion of the population of the actual metro area.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:01 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,936,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
^
HA! Chesterfield would never be a part of St Charles County, they would rather die (and I don't blame them).
I disagree, I think it would change the stats drastically. No more most dangerous list, most miserable, highest STD's, etc etc.
For years these "lists" unfairly represented STL by a very small portion of the population of the actual metro area.

I know, a bunch of StLouis "city" wanna be's, they love the StL County identification, but are still typical outerbelt suburban culture. They look down on St Charles, yet are much more like St Charles than St Louis City or even the county inside 270.

I guess you didn't understand my last post. There are two things that could happen here. One is possible, although it would be very difficult, the other is probably not possible.

Option one:
The city could simply become part of the county like Clayton is. The city would still have the same population and the crime stats would be the same, but the county would gain 350k (or whatever it is). But the city would be part of a very large county and its revenue stream helping the city financially.

Option two:
The other option is to turn the county into a single city including StL. That city would have a population of 1.3 million and yes, the crime stats would go down dramatically for this large city compared to StL City today. But all the incorporated cities in St Louis County would have to agree to dissolve and become a new new city (highly unlikely).

Everybody seems to be seeing the benefits of option two when in reality the best that could probably happen here is option one.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:08 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,878,421 times
^
Ahh, I see. Either way, something has got to be done. I would love to travel back in time and strangle the fore fathers that made this decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis