Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:41 AM

2,142 posts, read 4,451,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
You noticed that too? Does a driving a beemer turn you into an idiot? or its it just the idiots that drive beemers?
Can you imagine trying to text someone while at the same time trying to figure out BMW's danged I-drive system? Fiddling with that metal round knob? No, thank you! At best, driving a Beemer puts you tens of thousands of dollars in debt and turns you into a....um....I think I'd better not try to upstage D.P. on this one!

Hmmmm....I think in the Bay Area BMWs might have been a little more popular back in the '90s but you still see quite a few of them out here as well as Mercedes and Volvos. Not as many Audis or Saabs as far as the European makes go. In St. Louis? A fair number of Kias along with the American makes, I'd say.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 08-10-2009 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: quoted material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 07:07 AM

938 posts, read 3,506,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post

I found it very refreshing to see most 270 motorists cruising along at 60 to 65 mph, and not changing lanes unnecessarily. Now take the San Francisco Bay Area. It's not uncommon to see some hotshot in a newer BMW or Mercedes--usually it's a BMW-- shoot across three or four freeway lanes while going 85 to 90 mph. When they come up from behind you, it looks like your left rear bumper's going to get hit as they zing from far right to far left lane.

My rental car's trip odometer indicated I had driven about 600 miles during my time in St. Louis. Moreover, I rode with my cousin and aunt to visit another cousin in Washington, MO. I'll just say that compared to Highway 101 and Interstate 880 in the Bay Area as well as Interstate 80 in Solano County northeast of San Francisco, with very few exceptions St. Louis-area drivers are very polite and not at all reckless in what I've observed.
I agree 100%. Compared to the last two metros I've resided in (Washington, DC and Austin, TX), St. Louis drivers are very polite, careful, and drive defensively. People here tend to use their blinker signals, drive the speed limit or slightly above, and actually stop when a light turns yellow! I haven't been cut off here and I haven't seen people race across multiple lanes of traffic. I have also noticed very few people blaring on their car horns.

This is of course my view so far after living here all of a week, but I have been driving all over the metro area. Even rush hour here is a joke compared to the last two cities I've lived in...even at 6 PM on a Friday I haven't found it that hard to get anywhere.

However, I will be walking to work starting tomorrow. No traffic at all for me!

Old 08-10-2009, 11:06 AM

711 posts, read 2,108,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtwobaldguy View Post
I never see anything like this. Once in a while someone honks or a finger and I drive near constantly. Must be in the poor areas? Was this in North city or North county? Avoid the poor areas and you'll probably never see this.

What an ignorant statement.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:11 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post

What an ignorant statement.
Agreed.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:03 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times

YouTube - Brett Hull on Late Night with David Letterman 2/9/1990

Old 08-10-2009, 04:53 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,498,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Cool! I remember that - the great Hullie, and musical guests were the legendary Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker!

Has anyone seen Brett Hull lately? He looks like he ate two Stanley Cups. Still, the one of the greatest players ever to wear the Bluenote, and a funny and entertaining person.

Last edited by Marksman84; 08-10-2009 at 05:13 PM..

Old 08-10-2009, 06:41 PM

172 posts, read 510,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeetMeinSTL View Post
The drivers in St. Louis are incredibly rude and make much ado about nothing. I have seen at least 5 or so heated arguments in the past two days in mall parking lots. People cursing at each other for the craziest reasons. At least in LA, if someone went off on someone, it was usually a drastic situation where the person had it coming. People here in STL tend to get their panties in a bunch and make the most ridiculous gestures over stuff that can be avoided and looked over.
LOL...Don't mind those people, they were acting out because of the heat. It was really hot this past weekend here in STL and usually people tend to be more agressive when it is hot out. LOL!

Old 08-10-2009, 06:48 PM

172 posts, read 510,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtwobaldguy View Post
I never see anything like this. Once in a while someone honks or a finger and I drive near constantly. Must be in the poor areas? Was this in North city or North county? Avoid the poor areas and you'll probably never see this.
I started to ask you to define a "poor area" but I have already wasted enough of my time typing this much of a response to your post...

Old 08-10-2009, 09:56 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
Being from LA, I am not stupid enough to give anyone the finger.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:22 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Being from LA, I am not stupid enough to give anyone the finger.
lol, that is always wise... never know what ya might get back in turn, let alone potentially lose that finger and/or more!

What is fun is just smiling, really really big at someone... totally unexpected reaction, and just sets 'em back quite a bit for the most part.

[of course, meanwhile, mentally I'm thinking other non-publishable terms of descriptions and actions towards 'em ]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis