Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 10:11 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times

Advertisements

That entire stretch of i-70 between Wentzviile and into the City is pretty bad and doesn't leave a good first impression. You see every style of architecture from Hillbilly Baroque to Ghetto Modern.

I prefer to use the 64/40. it will be nice when it is finished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 10:14 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
it's not as 'in your face'.... I don't see Missouri flags literally EVERYWHERE, and Missouri edition GIANT trucks, or other propaganda about Missouri being better than whatever state your from on every billboard, or "missourinative" on any license plates or bumper stickers...no, Missourian by the Grace of God t-shirts....what not.
Its much more subtle here. Its almost a NY kind of home state pride but without the self criticism and we can do better spirit.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:53 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,540 times
Unfortunately that stretch of 70 is very run down and can give a bad impression. Highway 40, 44 and 55 all run into the city and the scenery is much nicer. Don't forget to check out The Loop, Tower Grove Park, Botanical Gardens, South Grand (any kind of ethic food you can find), Soulard, Lafayette Square and Downtown.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:06 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
Thanks Stl girl. I want to do it all, but am still a bit unsure of my ability to find all these places while navigating traffic at the same time! I am happy with what I have seen so far though. I'm sitting in a St. Louis Bread company right now! (which makes me oh so happy)

Panera's were my favorite thing to go to in Illinois, I always knew they were from out of St. Louis but wasn't sure how prolific they were in the area. They are few and far between in Texas and I have driven 30 miles to get to one before....lol.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:44 PM

938 posts, read 3,506,984 times
Quote:
Texas "culture" -- is at first charming, and goes to annoying to repulsive pretty quick -- for me. I am referring to things such as pride and all it entails. There is a lot there that, if maybe they were not so 'proud' they might admit to some cracks and try to improve upon a few things that really aren't working so great. But try to tell that to them...

I think that, the culture in St. Louis, is different than Chicago, the problems here are not as foriegn to me as the ones in Texas. I think it is something I can deal with because I understand it better, can relate to it and it's not as 'in your face'.... I don't see Missouri flags literally EVERYWHERE, and Missouri edition GIANT trucks, or other propaganda about Missouri being better than whatever state your from on every billboard, or "missourinative" on any license plates or bumper stickers...no, Missourian by the Grace of God t-shirts....what not.

So far so good. It is nice to see a fair number of CARS on the road. By that, I mean, regular sized vehicles and normal sized SUV's and pick-ups "real men" wouldn't be caught dead in, in Texas.

ugh. I have to go back to that place still.

And it's nice to see Italian food...
The Texas pride definitely got on my nerves as well. Although I did laugh at those Lone Star billboards...especially because Lone Star is owned by Pabst, a Yankee company. Nonetheless, Lone Star did became my favorite cheap beer (though not because of the advertising)

St. Louis also has MUCH better pizza and Italian food than Texas, as many Italians settled here. The Chinese food here is also worlds better than in Texas. You can find good Mexican up here, and OK BBQ...although I do miss all of the Austin taco shacks and BBQ joints, along with seemingly hundreds of different styles of readily available salsas and fresh tortillas. I think some of the food and some friends are the only thing I miss about Texas now that I'm living here...I'm definitely not longing to go back.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:32 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,498,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
T

St. Louis also has MUCH better pizza and Italian food than Texas, as many Italians settled here. The Chinese food here is also worlds better than in Texas. You can find good Mexican up here, and OK BBQ...although I do miss all of the Austin taco shacks and BBQ joints, along with seemingly hundreds of different styles of readily available salsas and fresh tortillas. I think some of the food and some friends are the only thing I miss about Texas now that I'm living here...I'm definitely not longing to go back.
Where?

Old 08-30-2009, 11:27 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
The Texas pride definitely got on my nerves as well. Although I did laugh at those Lone Star billboards...especially because Lone Star is owned by Pabst, a Yankee company. Nonetheless, Lone Star did became my favorite cheap beer (though not because of the advertising)

BBQ and Mexican food (among other fried wonders) are one of Texas' few redeeming qualities....but, it also contributed to 10 pounds on my frame, so, it's probably best to live 1000 miles away from that place....

Old 08-31-2009, 09:12 PM

938 posts, read 3,506,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
Where?
I had some pretty good Mexican food at a place called Chimichanga(s?) on South Grand a few weeks ago. Granted, the salsa wasn't great but the food was. I hear Cherokee St. has a lot of good Mexican but haven't tried anything there yet.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:17 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,451,657 times
I'd also check out Ruiz Mexican Restaurant on Lindbergh Blvd. in Florissant. I'm assuming they're still around. As of April 2003, their food was outstanding IMO!

Old 09-02-2009, 02:38 PM

147 posts, read 383,901 times
Quote:
I have to say, St. Charles really impressed me too. What a nice little town, right on the river.
The historic part of St. Charles is really nice. That's a pretty small sliver of St. Charles though - it quickly devolves into your typical suburban strip mall/big box/mcmansion-type area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis