Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Unhappy in Charlotte, North Carolina, considering move to Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Connecticut, St. Louis possibility based on housing prices, nice safe neighborhoods

Old 05-29-2007, 11:02 PM

39 posts, read 201,331 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I live in Charlotte, NC right now and DO NOT like it here. I know it's supposed to be the "place to be" right now, but not for us. We had a "Top 5" list of states we were considering moving to ~Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, (my fiance is from NY/Mass so he's a little bias I'm from Louisiana/Florida so I like the idea of having snow for Christmas ) Colorado & Washington were the last 2, but I think those are both pretty much ruled out. Someone suggested St. Louis and I looked at a few websites and have been pleasantly surprised by what I found! We lived in Brooklyn for a year before we moved to NC and LOVED it. It was a little too expensive for us to buy something there though. I would have never thought about Missouri, but St. Louis has alot of the things we're looking for, I think....So here's where you come in Do you think St. Louis would fit us based on ~

1.) We're in our 20's and love all the attractions STL has to offer (what are some of your favorites?)
2.) My fiance is in the flooring business, mainly ceramic tile (any info on jobs/pay?)
3.) We don't have or plan to have, any children, so school districts aren't that big of a deal
4.) Right now we would only be able to afford about $125,000 for a house, so we will probably rent for a little while & save up some more $$$. So, will we be able to find something in a nice part of town for $850 or less?
5.) What are the best parts of town? In or out of the city, doesn't matter. I've been warned not to look at East St. Louis or North City, what other NO's should I put on the list?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 10:12 AM

6 posts, read 26,192 times
If you are not worried about schools, the south city area (mainly St. Louis Hills) is pretty nice. I used to live in Georgetown Apartments in Shrewsbury (it is right next to Webster Groves, which is the nicest of the St. Louis suburbs). We rented a townhouse for $750/month (that was 7 or 8 years ago). It is a nice place. It is a younger crowd. There are usually some students from Washington University, Webster University, or St. Louis University living there. And, it is pretty easy access to downtown, Forest Park, the Central West End, and south county.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:02 PM

115 posts, read 481,378 times
1.) We're in our 20's and love all the attractions STL has to offer (what are some of your favorites?)

Excellent FREE zoo, art museum, city museum is a lot of fun, Italian food on The Hill, Cards baseball games, Blues hockey, being not too far from Missouri Wine Country

2.) My fiance is in the flooring business, mainly ceramic tile (any info on jobs/pay?)

no clue

3.) We don't have or plan to have, any children, so school districts aren't that big of a deal

4.) Right now we would only be able to afford about $125,000 for a house, so we will probably rent for a little while & save up some more $$$. So, will we be able to find something in a nice part of town for $850 or less?

Should be fine

5.) What are the best parts of town? In or out of the city, doesn't matter. I've been warned not to look at East St. Louis or North City, what other NO's should I put on the list?

Nice places in the city- Soulard, Central West End, Washington Ave., South City
Out of the city- Kirkwood, Webster Groves, U- City, West county

Old 06-08-2007, 10:21 AM

7 posts, read 29,752 times
For $125K you can find a decent home in a decent neighborhood on the Illinois side and still be 20 minutes from downtown.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:55 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio1978 View Post
My fiance and I live in Charlotte, NC right now and DO NOT like it here. I know it's supposed to be the "place to be" right now, but not for us. We had a "Top 5" list of states we were considering moving to ~Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, (my fiance is from NY/Mass so he's a little bias I'm from Louisiana/Florida so I like the idea of having snow for Christmas ) Colorado & Washington were the last 2, but I think those are both pretty much ruled out. Someone suggested St. Louis and I looked at a few websites and have been pleasantly surprised by what I found! We lived in Brooklyn for a year before we moved to NC and LOVED it. It was a little too expensive for us to buy something there though. I would have never thought about Missouri, but St. Louis has alot of the things we're looking for, I think....So here's where you come in Do you think St. Louis would fit us based on ~

Thanks in advance!

I have lived in St. Louis and NYC(Manhattan and Queens). My two cents, and as always call em like I see em'.....no offense to anyone.

I'll take your comments in order by number.

1) STL best attractions vary based on interest. St. Louis Zoo(Free) St. Louis Science Center, Forest Park, a great urban city park bigger than Central Park BTW. ....locals don't do much of the touristy stuff like anywhere else of course...i.e. Arch etc...St. Louis is a BIG pro sports town. BIG. If you like your sports, you will like STL.

2) Can't help you, would have to ask people.

3) Like anywhere else that opens up where you want to be or could be by a lot.

4) STL has cheap rent and housing in comparison to Chicago, the or NorthEast...MUCH cheaper. More comparable to the Southeast in costs. St. Louis to name one example has the cheapest gas in the country of any metro area close to its size or bigger. Locals who don't venture out enough have no idea.

5) Where to look again depends on your lifestyle and what you are looking for....need more info...

Overall.....St. Louis is very good for couples, very bad for singles. It is a family town. Many things are catered to families. If you want big city life, ...try NYC or Chicago.

Pace is slow, it is the Midwest...pace will not be slower than Charlotte but it is slower than D.C. NYC Boston etc...considerably. Even Chicago is very slow compared to those areas.

It's primarily a black white town. That means if you are looking for big pockets of diversity...Asian, Hispanic etc...you will not find it. There is a sizeable and growing Bosnian population in recent years...and Italain section called "The Hill".

St. Louis suffered like so many other cities in the U.S. from suburban sprawl of past decades making downtown a ghost town and increasing suburban to suburban traffic(think Atlanta)....however small strides have been made in recent years and hopefully moving forward with other planned areas.

St. Louis has had big increase in downtown living....lofts condos etc...like many other cities in recent years...while St. Louis is ahead of places like Charlotte etc...by a lot...it is far behind others....still has a long way to go...but there is definitely a living community downtown who love it there.

St. Louis has many nice, quality suburbs of all income levels. If that is your thing, STL is good for that. If down the road you are thinking kids...it is good for that.

Downtown St. Louis, Soulard, South City, "The Hill", The Grove, Central West End, would be places I would look to if it were me....20 something couple new in town, wanting to experience urban life. ......there are also some close in suburbs to consider if you are more suburban in your choices. I'd start with the above places if it were me considering your age and interests. These are also more diverse places in town. U city is suburban but also an area of possible interest.

I have spent a LOT of time in CT, MA, NH.

While generally similar...they are different in some regards...Parts of NH are similar to say East and Southeastern CT shore areas....etc....but closer to NYC CT is much different. Eastern MA is much different than Western....etc...

Weather? 4 equal seasons in length....hot humid summers in July and August. It gets cold but doesn't last in Winter. Fall is nice...Spring iffy, but it is a real Spring much different from Chicago 4 hrs North with basically a couple of days of Spring a year.

STL is a car town. Metro Link helps you a lot if you live near a stop for areas of interest in the city and outside of it. People drive everywhere(think Atlanta or Houston).....I encourage Metro Link use.

People in St. Louis generally speaking are very friendly.

Cost of living will not be an issue for you. Things to do will not be an issue for you. Lifestyle? Up to you. STL is a great town...feels like a big small town as opposed to a big city. It will not feel like a big city and that is both good and bad imo. It is NOT Boston, NYC or any parts of it. If that is what you are looking for, stop right here.

I had friends from Jersey and CT move to STL for a while, left went back out East and moved back because STL felt more like a community, like their city....because Jersery and CT didn't feel like a city and metro area to them. And it frustrated them. They moved back and aren't leaving. They loved easy access to things, and going to games etc...which fit their lifestyle. They started in U.City.....really liked it....since then downtown has picked up a lot.

I cannot stress the difference of being a couple and moving to STL vs beig a single person and moving to STL....light years difference. You have the safety and comfortability of having another person with you....meaning....I just think it is a very bad town for non-couples...but excellent town for married couples with or without kids.

You have to find out where to go and when....for some cool things.....etc...things don't always jump out at you...but if you know where to go...you will do fine. ......read up on local stuff....riverfronttimes.com, STLtoday.com....STL Magazine(new editor is friend of mine, just started)....

If it were me, I'd look into the neighborhoods I mentioned and start there....to fit your lifestyle. If you are seeking more suburban...let me know.

A drawback is that STL is not close to anything else. Chicago is 4-4.5 hr drive North...or less than 60minute flight...$150, sometimes less. Lake of the Ozarks is resort type area centered around water in Southwest Missouri 3 hr drive which many flock to on summer weekends for fun and water and boating. So many other cities out East etc...are closer couple hr drives. Always a drawback imo....

STL is better than Charlotte....but you won't have a coast to escape to(Wilmington, Hilton Head etc...)

It's a fun town, nice people, plenty of things to do and see and very affordable...some areas better than others of course.

Try a weekend visit and explore some of those places and areas.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 6,096 times
If you are still considering moving to St.Louis, feel free to contact me, I am a realtor, and work primarily in the city.
We also own several properties for sale and rent, in the city. Townhomes in the Tower Grove East area for $1100 per month, 1600 sq.ft, with full basement. TGE is a great area for young couples, and close to everything.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:35 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,536,261 times
For $125k you are going to have to be on the Illinois side, or WAY out on the Missouri side. If I were you I would just keep renting and saving up until you can afford something on the Missouri side. In close to St. Louis on the Illinois side, your property taxes are ungodly high.

If you are wanting to really get your husbands tile business going, you should probably be around West County. You will get a LOT of business from people in West County.

I helped my mom get her landscape business started and we did it all in West County (ladue, chesterfield, etc). There is a lot of money out that way.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:53 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,389,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
I have lived in St. Louis and NYC(Manhattan and Queens). My two cents, and as always call em like I see em'.....no offense to anyone.

I'll take your comments in order by number.

1) STL best attractions vary based on interest. St. Louis Zoo(Free) St. Louis Science Center, Forest Park, a great urban city park bigger than Central Park BTW. ....locals don't do much of the touristy stuff like anywhere else of course...i.e. Arch etc...St. Louis is a BIG pro sports town. BIG. If you like your sports, you will like STL.

2) Can't help you, would have to ask people.

3) Like anywhere else that opens up where you want to be or could be by a lot.

4) STL has cheap rent and housing in comparison to Chicago, the or NorthEast...MUCH cheaper. More comparable to the Southeast in costs. St. Louis to name one example has the cheapest gas in the country of any metro area close to its size or bigger. Locals who don't venture out enough have no idea.

5) Where to look again depends on your lifestyle and what you are looking for....need more info...

Overall.....St. Louis is very good for couples, very bad for singles. It is a family town. Many things are catered to families. If you want big city life, ...try NYC or Chicago.

Pace is slow, it is the Midwest...pace will not be slower than Charlotte but it is slower than D.C. NYC Boston etc...considerably. Even Chicago is very slow compared to those areas.

It's primarily a black white town. That means if you are looking for big pockets of diversity...Asian, Hispanic etc...you will not find it. There is a sizeable and growing Bosnian population in recent years...and Italain section called "The Hill".

St. Louis suffered like so many other cities in the U.S. from suburban sprawl of past decades making downtown a ghost town and increasing suburban to suburban traffic(think Atlanta)....however small strides have been made in recent years and hopefully moving forward with other planned areas.

St. Louis has had big increase in downtown living....lofts condos etc...like many other cities in recent years...while St. Louis is ahead of places like Charlotte etc...by a lot...it is far behind others....still has a long way to go...but there is definitely a living community downtown who love it there.

St. Louis has many nice, quality suburbs of all income levels. If that is your thing, STL is good for that. If down the road you are thinking kids...it is good for that.

Downtown St. Louis, Soulard, South City, "The Hill", The Grove, Central West End, would be places I would look to if it were me....20 something couple new in town, wanting to experience urban life. ......there are also some close in suburbs to consider if you are more suburban in your choices. I'd start with the above places if it were me considering your age and interests. These are also more diverse places in town. U city is suburban but also an area of possible interest.

I have spent a LOT of time in CT, MA, NH.

While generally similar...they are different in some regards...Parts of NH are similar to say East and Southeastern CT shore areas....etc....but closer to NYC CT is much different. Eastern MA is much different than Western....etc...

Weather? 4 equal seasons in length....hot humid summers in July and August. It gets cold but doesn't last in Winter. Fall is nice...Spring iffy, but it is a real Spring much different from Chicago 4 hrs North with basically a couple of days of Spring a year.

STL is a car town. Metro Link helps you a lot if you live near a stop for areas of interest in the city and outside of it. People drive everywhere(think Atlanta or Houston).....I encourage Metro Link use.

People in St. Louis generally speaking are very friendly.

Cost of living will not be an issue for you. Things to do will not be an issue for you. Lifestyle? Up to you. STL is a great town...feels like a big small town as opposed to a big city. It will not feel like a big city and that is both good and bad imo. It is NOT Boston, NYC or any parts of it. If that is what you are looking for, stop right here.

I had friends from Jersey and CT move to STL for a while, left went back out East and moved back because STL felt more like a community, like their city....because Jersery and CT didn't feel like a city and metro area to them. And it frustrated them. They moved back and aren't leaving. They loved easy access to things, and going to games etc...which fit their lifestyle. They started in U.City.....really liked it....since then downtown has picked up a lot.

I cannot stress the difference of being a couple and moving to STL vs beig a single person and moving to STL....light years difference. You have the safety and comfortability of having another person with you....meaning....I just think it is a very bad town for non-couples...but excellent town for married couples with or without kids.

You have to find out where to go and when....for some cool things.....etc...things don't always jump out at you...but if you know where to go...you will do fine. ......read up on local stuff....riverfronttimes.com, STLtoday.com....STL Magazine(new editor is friend of mine, just started)....

If it were me, I'd look into the neighborhoods I mentioned and start there....to fit your lifestyle. If you are seeking more suburban...let me know.

A drawback is that STL is not close to anything else. Chicago is 4-4.5 hr drive North...or less than 60minute flight...$150, sometimes less. Lake of the Ozarks is resort type area centered around water in Southwest Missouri 3 hr drive which many flock to on summer weekends for fun and water and boating. So many other cities out East etc...are closer couple hr drives. Always a drawback imo....

STL is better than Charlotte....but you won't have a coast to escape to(Wilmington, Hilton Head etc...)

It's a fun town, nice people, plenty of things to do and see and very affordable...some areas better than others of course.

Try a weekend visit and explore some of those places and areas.
St. Louis I'd say is pretty comparable in costs of living to other midwestern cities. It costs more I believe than indy or Columbus, and i know from having relatives in Cleveland that costs are about the same as there. Still, the costs are generally low...St. Louis definitely is a city to consider if you don't want to empty all the cash out of your wallet to pay for a house.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:30 PM

28 posts, read 208,682 times
I would have to agree with all of the above. I have lived in St. Louis for 8 years, and this was after going to school in Boston and NYC for 5 years, it's quite different, but nice. As for renting, 850.00 will get you something pretty nice, and pending on where you work and/or where you want to live. Upon graduating, my husband and I were unfamilliar with the area and we rented in Chesterfield, which was pretty nice, then Wildwood, then Creve Coeur. We purchased a home in Webster Groves and we love it here, as it is centrally located. Georgetown Apartments are very nice, they are down the street in Shrewsbury and it's nice as well.

As for homes and your price range, not going to find much in St. Louis, it would be extremely difficult. You could probably get a condo but not a home. The only homes at that price would be North County and I would advise against that.

Good luck on your search, as for flooring jobs, I have no idea, there are soooo many places to purchase from that you'd probably have to just go in and apply and ask around.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:53 PM

38 posts, read 262,195 times
There ARE nice homes (ranch style homes built approx 1970) in the Hazelwood Florissant area of North County. There are also homes in that area that go for much more. It's within 30 minutes of attractions downtown, as well as near St. Charles and all that is there.

However it is a neighborhood that is predominately families......

My brother in law is a floor layer (not union) and his dad and grandpa were too. One thing I have noticed is that work is booming and almost more than he can keep up with in the summer then it dies in the winter (with a little boost from income tax time) In summer he keeps busy and can work 18 hour days 6 days straight for weeks......When winter comes around he get's piddly jobs that take 4 hours max around 2 days a week. Alot of the floor layers will 'jump ship' so to speak from different companies based on who can get them the work. Unfortunately the guys that work consistantly all year long tend to be the ones that are paid hourly vs. rate per sqft.........

Not to discourage you or anything.....During the summer I have seen my brother in law bring home 6 grand in a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis