Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As a Subaru owner, which are you?
Democrat (Liberal/Progressive) 87 43.28%
Republican (Conservative/Libertarian/Tea Party) 54 26.87%
Independent (Non-Partisan) 52 25.87%
Non-Political (Non-Voter) 8 3.98%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2015, 04:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times

Advertisements

Subaru is the most popular car in Washington state according to DOL records, and since most people east of the mountains drive pickup trucks, those Subies are in liberal western WA. I think it has more to do with the handling the occasional snow than anything else, this question would be far easier to answer referencing the Prius.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:55 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,049,980 times
I'm not a liberal, I'm fairly middle-of-the-road, and I drive a Subaru.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:39 PM

161 posts, read 167,778 times
In New England Subaru is very popular due to our harsh winters, and the fact that Subarus are all-wheel-drive. I have noticed that stereotype seems to be somewhat true-- that many Subaru drivers are liberal leaning. I've seen countless Obama stickers on the back of Subarus but I can't remember the last time I saw a Romney (or any other Republican for that matter) sticker. Though I'm sure there are plenty of people who just drive them because they are good cars.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:28 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,228,125 times
Here in NW New Mexico, there's lots of Native Americans and lots of white liberals that work with them. My joke here is if you are white, liberal, and come from "somewhere else" (as most are), pick up your Subaru at the county office before 5 PM upon arrival. So yeah. Liberal that I am, I didn't get one for this reason. So many left-leaning folks get them to be "unique" and before you know it, they all have them, it's no longer unique, and it becomes a ridiculously true stereotype.
I also did some work for a campground in the California redwoods this past summer.....a self-described hardcore hippie outdoor education group came in for a workshop and used the group campground for a week. LOTS of Outbacks and Forresters along with old VW buses....too many Subarus to dismiss as "just a good all-wheel drive car" reasoning, considering the people that were there. And it does seem to have taken that role from Volvos in the last 20 years.
That said, it's a great car and here in the high desert an AWD car sure is handy. Especially if you don't want/need a Jeep or a truck. There's an apparent liberal connection but not all Subaru owners are liberals.
But around here.........

Old 08-27-2015, 07:28 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,510,120 times
Live in the mountains of Western NC and a Subie is the best car for winters here. Also it has pulled our Teardrop camper coast to coast including NM where we are headed in October. They are great cars regardless of political leanings.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:32 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,953 times
Well, it's been a little over two years since I first posted this question.

So, with this being a Presidential election year and considering the current political climate, I wonder, if anything has changed.

Based upon my own observations and experiences, I think there is more than a grain of truth to the belief that many liberal/progressives tend to be Subaru owners.

However, why is that perceived, by some, to be a bad thing?

Old 03-25-2016, 12:54 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,233,399 times
I've owned a Subaru but am conservative...though in the libertarian sense not the religious right zealot sense.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:54 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,526,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Live in the mountains of Western NC and a Subie is the best car for winters here. Also it has pulled our Teardrop camper coast to coast including NM where we are headed in October. They are great cars regardless of political leanings.

I have a question for you if you don't mind. My wife & I want a newer Subaru & we would like to get a teardrop as well. The brochure says they will tow 1,200lbs but sites like CarMax say they will tow 2,400lbs. Even the owner manual states it will tow 2,400lbs so we are a bit confused.

To the OP I don't vote period so I don't fit into any of those stereotype's neither does my wife. I didn't know driving said car made you said way.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:07 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,138,288 times
Funny thread. Well I am mostly a moderate but lean more toward the liberal side. The Outback is built in Indiana which is mostly conservative. There are a lot of Subaru's here. Great cars and good in the snow. My husband and I were walking out to our car and the Subie in the spot next to us had a pro-life sticker on it. I have to admit, it looked odd. lol.

Subaru's marketing campaign had a more liberal leaning so I think people tend to associate the cars with the owners of a specific political view.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:11 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,526,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Only the Forester model.

As a male I can't tell you I am not a lesbian... but.

Back to the OP I don't vote at all & neither does my wife. I never though having said car could mean you lean one way or another when it comes to how one votes.

Last edited by reed067; 05-14-2016 at 06:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.