Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 11:03 AM

1,628 posts, read 1,373,604 times

Advertisements

I have taken supplements for over 35 years. I trust the major manufacturers that are found in health food stores and online.

I don't need proof from external sources. My proof is in how my body responds.

There are many studies done on foods, vitamins, minerals, nutritional supplements, etc. It's all out there on the internet. You can choose to believe it, or not. That's your right and your freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 11:25 AM

48,710 posts, read 35,216,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
How much do you trust this consumer lab.com =
Supplement Safety: What You Need to Know about ConsumerLab.com
That was interesting, and disappointing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-09-2018, 01:05 PM

35,308 posts, read 52,533,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
How much do you trust anyone? Even NYTimes.

For me proof is in the results...not what all these proofers tell everyone. How do we know all those pharma pays to discredit their competition.
I dont trust unregulated products usually from China that claim to be cure-alls for a myriad of maladies.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:08 PM

48,710 posts, read 35,216,072 times
Quote:
I dont trust unregulated products usually from China that claim to be cure-alls for a myriad of maladies.
And it's not an issue of trust. Studies have SHOWN that 30% of supplements do not contain the advertised ingredient.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-09-2018, 01:08 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,901,106 times
Quote:
Well the Chinese have been using their medicines for thousands of years, not pharma meds. Your choice. I don't trust what you trust, so we cancel each other out.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:30 PM

37,356 posts, read 41,591,391 times
Quote:
Well the Chinese have been using their medicines for thousands of years, not pharma meds. Your choice. I don't trust what you trust, so we cancel each other out.
Logical fallacy: appeal to antiquity.

Chinese use the same prescription meds that are available in the US, not just traditional Chinese medicine.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:27 PM

37,356 posts, read 41,591,391 times
Quote:
How much do you trust this consumer lab.com =
Supplement Safety: What You Need to Know about ConsumerLab.com
Note that the criticism is from a pro-supplement source.

Consumerlab.com responds here:

https://www.consumerlab.com/answers/...t_consumerlab/

https://www.consumerlab.com/Response...informs-Public

The statement that there has been only one death from a supplement is categorically false. Liver injuries due to supplements are increasing.

https://www.consumerreports.org/heal...s-on-the-rise/

The ANH article advises readers to "Check the FDA’s database of supplements illegally spiked with prescription drugs."

To me, that says that the supplement industry has a big problem with quality control. It just goes to show you never know what is in a supplement, particularly herbals.

Feature: Revealing the hidden dangers of dietary supplements | Science | AAAS

Choose vitamins and minerals that have been through a verification process, such as USP.

https://www.consumerreports.org/vita...nt-seals-mean/

Old 03-09-2018, 03:52 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,901,106 times
Well, as Always it turns out it's the Alt med vs Pharma. I use both but MOSTLY Alt. I try not to attack the few drugs I take, but I feel they are toxic but use them anyway FOR NOW. I guess I'm fortunate, no side effects from 25 yrs of supplements...As always too, it's sad everyone can't seem to accept other's choices. I am not trying to change what other's take. Pointing out options, isn't trying to change others...as my mind sees it.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:34 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,268,545 times
Quote:
Well, as Always it turns out it's the Alt med vs Pharma. I use both but MOSTLY Alt. I try not to attack the few drugs I take, but I feel they are toxic but use them anyway FOR NOW. I guess I'm fortunate, no side effects from 25 yrs of supplements...As always too, it's sad everyone can't seem to accept other's choices. I am not trying to change what other's take. Pointing out options, isn't trying to change others...as my mind sees it.
What does this thread have to do with "accepting other's choices"?

The OP who started this thread 3 years ago and added to it today has made verifiable, documented, well supported statements regarding the failure of the supplement industry to police itself and make sure the products they sell actually contain what the bottle says they contain...

This has been shown in numerous independent studies and this is what you get when there is no requirement for independent verification of quality...

This isn't about acceptance or opinions....its about FACTS

Saying "I don't need proof from external sources. My proof is in how my body responds" is disingenuous

If your body is "responding" to a bottle of sawdust that is labeled "grape seed extract" that just proves that what you are experiencing is a placebo effect...

Honestly I don't even know what you think your "supps" are doing....the "continued absence of disease" while taking a "supp" is hardly proof positive that the "supp" has done anything....

Old 03-09-2018, 09:24 PM

689 posts, read 979,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
What does this thread have to do with "accepting other's choices"?

The OP who started this thread 3 years ago and added to it today has made verifiable, documented, well supported statements regarding the failure of the supplement industry to police itself and make sure the products they sell actually contain what the bottle says they contain...

This has been shown in numerous independent studies and this is what you get when there is no requirement for independent verification of quality...

This isn't about acceptance or opinions....its about FACTS

Saying "I don't need proof from external sources. My proof is in how my body responds" is disingenuous

If your body is "responding" to a bottle of sawdust that is labeled "grape seed extract" that just proves that what you are experiencing is a placebo effect...

Honestly I don't even know what you think your "supps" are doing....the "continued absence of disease" while taking a "supp" is hardly proof positive that the "supp" has done anything....
Jam can believe whatever she wants to believe - that's her choice and it's not up for debate - just as you consistently advocate for your conventional (pharma backed and paid for) 'scientific' indisputable 'facts'.

As far as supplement safety there, most certainly, are companies that have been in business for decades and are trusted within the natural health community based on the full manufacturing disclosures they provide, the ongoing education provided by their product representatives, company attendance at professional trade shows and consistent positive feedback from consumers and health providers.

Many of these well-respected supplement companies were founded by scientists and practitioners who worked together to create products and are committed to ethical and responsible manufacturing. For example the Natural Factors brand was created by Dr. Michael Murray, one of the founding educators of Bastyr University. Gaia herbs was founded by a well-known botanical scientist and he grows most of the herbs on a farm in North Carolina, The Now brand was established in the 60's. Owned and operated by 3 family generations, the founder created the first nutritional soy protein powder. The Dr's Best brand was created by a (mainstream) physician 25 years ago. The list goes on and on.

I, personally, take many different nutritional supplements and sometimes herbs as well. I would never consider taking anything that was not manufactured in the US. There are hundreds of trustworthy products out there. And as far as proof of effectiveness - there ARE plenty of studies conducted both within the US and abroad. You just won't see them in the New England Journal of Medicine unless pharma pays for and publishes the research findings...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements