Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 06:14 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times

Advertisements

Where do the vitamins and minerals in foods go? The body uses them. If it doesn't need them, they are stored or eliminated. I don't know where you're going with this but hopefully someone will come and explain in more depth until you are satisfied with the explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 06:53 PM

46 posts, read 24,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Where do the vitamins and minerals in foods go? The body uses them. If it doesn't need them, they are stored or eliminated. I don't know where you're going with this but hopefully someone will come and explain in more depth until you are satisfied with the explanation.

Hmmm...I asked a nutritionist this same question and they understood it right away.

The body uses them, yes, we are making progress. But HOW does it uses them and what are they used for?

Old 02-01-2019, 07:12 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,167,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryztyn View Post
You are all missing the point. No one here has yet to explain where the vitamins go? How are they "used up"? It is not that we can take a vitamin and we are good for the rest of our life, they are used. But used by what?

I know the answer, but I am surprised how many people do not know the answer! We use up vitamins, but what is the mechanism?
Vitamins are used by cells in your body. The cells use them up via various chemical reactions and if you don't replenish them, then you become deficient. Water soluble vitamins like vitamin C or the B's can be lost through sweat or urine.

Seriously, why don't you share your knowledge with the rest of us instead of trolling.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:25 PM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Vitamins are used by cells in your body. The cells use them up via various chemical reactions and if you don't replenish them, then you become deficient. Water soluble vitamins like vitamin C or the B's can be lost through sweat or urine.

Seriously, why don't you share your knowledge with the rest of us instead of trolling.
Yes, I agree. Pls. let us know what you know...

Old 02-01-2019, 07:27 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,144,574 times
Quote:
Hmmm...I asked a nutritionist this same question and they understood it right away.

The body uses them, yes, we are making progress. But HOW does it uses them and what are they used for?
so you already have your answer from a nutritionist. is this a quiz?

different vitamins are "used" in different ways depending on the specific vitamin. learn how they are used by learning why you need them. google has the info you need, no one here is going to review every vitamin for you.

and zinc is not a vitamin, it's a mineral.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:29 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post

I agree. Here we are, with baited breath. So the nutritionist knew! Apparently there isn't a nutritionist on here and maybe you'll have to break down and tell us.

I don't know if most people care-- I know if my dr said I needed vitamin B12 and I took the B12 and then the tests said I was okay, I really wouldn't care how it worked. It worked and I don't really care HOW it worked.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
so you already have your answer from a nutritionist. is this a quiz?

different vitamins are "used" in different ways depending on the specific vitamin. learn how they are used by learning why you need them. google has the info you need, no one here is going to review every vitamin for you.

and zinc is not a vitamin, it's a mineral.
It is an experiment, not a quiz. I was wondering if someone could provide a basic explanation of how vitamins and minerals work and why they become depleted.

I had the answer before I spoke with the nutritionist. My point was that no one seems to even understand how supplements work but we talk about them everyday. It does not have to be specific to any vitamin. It is right on Wikipedia yet no one can seems to know or can explain this basic function.

It should be taught before anything else when we talk about vitamins and minerals.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I agree. Here we are, with baited breath. So the nutritionist knew! Apparently there isn't a nutritionist on here and maybe you'll have to break down and tell us.

I don't know if most people care-- I know if my dr said I needed vitamin B12 and I took the B12 and then the tests said I was okay, I really wouldn't care how it worked. It worked and I don't really care HOW it worked.

Caring how they work is important because ten you know how they are used and depleted. Yes, having a poor diet if usually the issue, but that is not the only reason why they could be low.

But I posted this in a "Supplements" forum so I figured most people would care.

Tomorrow I will explain.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:28 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,144,574 times
Quote:
Caring how they work is important because ten you know how they are used and depleted. Yes, having a poor diet if usually the issue, but that is not the only reason why they could be low.

Tomorrow I will explain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlwnbcxBuzI

Old 02-02-2019, 10:50 AM

1,456 posts, read 515,978 times
Quote:
Tomorrow I will explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements