Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 12:43 PM

46 posts, read 24,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Let me toss in a wrench...my doc just called me to come back in - my Vit B12 (cobalamin) level just came back as 2000. I take no supplements, vitamins, dietary issues or meds that would influence the number...

If I use Dr. Google, I either have 10 mins to live or cancer/ tumor.

Bizarre no?
Very bizzare. Very good of your doc to call you back in. If you would follow up here that would be great. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 01:23 PM

1,183 posts, read 716,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryztyn View Post
Great, it's semantics. But it's important. That is why geneticists made the distinction, right? Since BTD deficiency can be causes by both mutations and polymorphisms.

Yes, BTD deficiency mutations are quite low. but partial BTD deficiency polymorphisms are not as low, falling above the 1% threshold.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11668630
Partial BTD deficiency (10-30% of mean normal serum activity) is predominantly caused by the single 1330G>C mutation that results in D444H on one allele in combination with one of the mutations causing profound deficiency on the other allele.
That is what I have. BTD deficiency is not on or off, it is a spectrum of enzyme activity. They have since found as well that many people have these same SNPs with no issues.

Like sickle cell is a disease as well, yeah? Homozygous and you have sickle cell, but yet, you are protected from malaria. Even people homozygous are more protected from malaria. So is sickle cell a disease? Why do we call it a disease if it protects children from getting malaria?

So what might BTD deficiency be protecting me from? No idea, but I do not rule it out as an option that there might be some benefit we are too stupid to see yet.

Two bottles, one filled with capsules with molybdenum, the other capsules with glucose powder. I eat a high sulifte food (wine, balsamic vinegar) which results in symptoms (sinus issues, "brain fog", itching). Roommate gives me one tablet from a bottle without telling me. I wait, and tell them if my issue went away. Repeat a whole bunch of times. 100% associating with taking molybdenum and symptom relief.

Do I get the right to say it works?

No not like sickle cell disease - where the beneficial aspect is well known. That's why I said I'm not aware of any beneficial effects in the case of BTD. You may think humanity is currently ignorant on it (you use the word "stupid", but non-deliberate ignorance of something is not stupidity) about some unknown beneficial effect - but that's just a hopeful guess. (BTW, I guess you have never known the stupefying pain that a person with SCD can suffer, I'm sure they'd be open to the idea that its just a subjective term, you know, SCD being a disease).

As for semantics, you were the one making a big deal with the other poster as if you were educating him that a polymorphism isn't a mutation like they were entirely different, when in fact one is really a species of the genus.

And yes you sure can say it works - after all you can say anything on the interwebs right. No one can verify your story so yes you can. Like your self-study placebo blinded study. That's an interesting protocol, if you actually did it of course. And I guess you took lengths to make sure the glucose pill and the Mb pill both looked the same, size and cut, and tasted the same. Since the placebo effect is not usually of any interest to an individual they just take the tablet and see if it works for them. But I presume you have the right facilities though so you could make sure the pills matched.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:11 PM

46 posts, read 24,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
No not like sickle cell disease - where the beneficial aspect is well known. That's why I said I'm not aware of any beneficial effects in the case of BTD. You may think humanity is currently ignorant on it (you use the word "stupid", but non-deliberate ignorance of something is not stupidity) about some unknown beneficial effect - but that's just a hopeful guess. (BTW, I guess you have never known the stupefying pain that a person with SCD can suffer, I'm sure they'd be open to the idea that its just a subjective term, you know, SCD being a disease).

As for semantics, you were the one making a big deal with the other poster as if you were educating him that a polymorphism isn't a mutation like they were entirely different, when in fact one is really a species of the genus.

And yes you sure can say it works - after all you can say anything on the interwebs right. No one can verify your story so yes you can. Like your self-study placebo blinded study. That's an interesting protocol, if you actually did it of course. And I guess you took lengths to make sure the glucose pill and the Mb pill both looked the same, size and cut, and tasted the same. Since the placebo effect is not usually of any interest to an individual they just take the tablet and see if it works for them. But I presume you have the right facilities though so you could make sure the pills matched.
Stupid; having or showing a great lack of intelligence or common sense.

It is a lack of intelligence to call SCD or BTD diseases that we must cure. It is easy to cure SCD. Do genetic testing on everyone and do not let two SCD carriers have kids. It will be erased from the planet in no time. Same thing with BTD. But what do we lose? In the first case, malarial resistance. In BTD, maybe it in some way protects the microbiome? The price a human pays for SCD is the survival of their local people. Even full SCD do not die when they are young, they live long past child bearing age. So three out of four children born to two trait carriers will be protected from malaria. It is not a disease, it is a human survival mechanism. It is a testament to the intelligence of the human body.

And yes, no one can verify anything on the internet. So why are you here? Because if validates your thoughts. you get to believe what you want and not believe what you do not.That's why I hate the internet now. It is, in a word, stupid.

But I am done, with here, and the internet. I guess you will never to be able to verify that either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnchea6LHN0

Old 03-23-2019, 03:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,452 times
Vitamins only work if you actually tried them yourself. Try ordering some at https://www.keebosportssupplements.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements