Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 02:56 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,623,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are you sure about this one, as it is in one of the most expensive metros in the country and has one of the most affluent counties in the US as well. I can see Pittsburgh though....

Also, I wonder if some other states can keep it up with the high amounts of corporate welfare that occurs in many Southern states. Here's an interesting article about that: EconSouth, Vol. 10, No. 1, Southern States Ply the Art of the Deal

and some more interesting information: The Tax Foundation - State Business Tax Climate Index-- Corporate Tax Index, 2010

Although northern VA is expensive, unlike neighboring Montgomery County, Maryland, it has lower property taxes and is generally viewed as business friendly. Cities like Arlington, Alexandria, and Reston are teeming with young professionals that have relocated for plentiful job opportunities at local Fortune 500 corporations and defense contractors in Fairfax County. Although teachers make reasonable salaries, the state doesn't have the bloated public sector pensions and politically influential unions that largely dictate government spending and policy as seen in New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and Connecticut.

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 06-24-2010 at 03:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 03:31 PM

93,532 posts, read 124,263,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Although northern VA is expensive, unlike neighboring Montgomery County, Maryland, it has lower property taxes and is generally viewed as business friendly. Cities like Arlington, Alexandria, and Reston are teeming with young professionals that have relocated for plentiful job opportunities at local Fortune 500 corporations and defense contractors in Fairfax County. Although teachers make reasonable salaries, the state doesn't have the bloated public sector pensions and politically influential unions that largely dictate government spending and policy as seen in New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and Connecticut.
That's true, as quite a few people from my high school moved there.....

Old 06-24-2010, 10:37 PM

623 posts, read 1,818,312 times
I am proud to say I am one of those modest increases--a native that moved away and came back home--and loving it for the most part

Old 06-25-2010, 06:13 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,346,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Bingo. Upstate NY suffers from the incompetence and corrupt public unions that run things in albany and downtown. Having been to all 3 areas, pittsburgh and northern VA blow upstate NY away when it comes to the population of young professionals. This is true for many of the cities in the south too (Orlando, Miami, Atlanta etc.). I really hope that albany gets a clue one day and actually comes up with a legitimate way to revive upstate NY and put it back on the map.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Bingo. Upstate NY suffers from the incompetence and corrupt public unions that run things in albany and downtown. Having been to all 3 areas, pittsburgh and northern VA blow upstate NY away when it comes to the population of young professionals. This is true for many of the cities in the south too (Orlando, Miami, Atlanta etc.). I really hope that albany gets a clue one day and actually comes up with a legitimate way to revive upstate NY and put it back on the map.
Of course those cities are going to have a lot of young professionals considering that they are the biggest or one of the biggest metros in their states.

Pittsburgh has been able to change it's economy and I think Upstate NY metros are slowly, but surely doing the same thing. It's not as simple as just Albany getting it acts together, because local officials have their part to play too. If you look at the states you mentioned, their are areas in those states that vary in terms of the progress of their local economies. So, local officials need to learn how to operate efficiently as well.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:09 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,346,530 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh has been able to change it's economy and I think Upstate NY metros are slowly, but surely doing the same thing.
I don't see it. Where are the new businesses that have moved into upstate? Syracuse's biggest employers are Upstate, SU, and National Grid (basically whatever has been left over after the manufacturing died off).

Pittsburgh has had new business development in the pharmaceutical/biotech, informatics (new google office) and robotics areas.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
I don't see it. Where are the new businesses that have moved into upstate? Syracuse's biggest employers are Upstate, SU, and National Grid (basically whatever has been left over after the manufacturing died off).

Pittsburgh has had new business development in the pharmaceutical/biotech, informatics (new google office) and robotics areas.
Who says it has to be some big company or business? There have been some local companies like Sensis, Syracuse Research, Anaren/MS Kennedy and Lockheed Martin that have had some growth in recent years. There have been some small companies that have popped here and there too. So, there has been some evidence of potential change in the economy. Sometimes it is a matter of doing thorough research.....

Old 06-25-2010, 08:50 AM

107 posts, read 219,617 times
Also, don't forget Reva, the Indian electric car manufacturer. They are opening up a plant in Lysander at the end of this year planning to employ 100 initially, ramping up to 250 shortly thereafter. Also we have the CNY biotech center currently under construction. Plus all the investment in downtown going on concurrently makes the next few years for Syracuse look pretty solid at the least.

Executive: Sale of Indian electric car maker Reva is good for Central New York | syracuse.com

Old 06-25-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syr83 View Post
Also, don't forget Reva, the Indian electric car manufacturer. They are opening up a plant in Lysander at the end of this year planning to employ 100 initially, ramping up to 250 shortly thereafter. Also we have the CNY biotech center currently under construction. Plus all the investment in downtown going on concurrently makes the next few years for Syracuse look pretty solid at the least.

Executive: Sale of Indian electric car maker Reva is good for Central New York | syracuse.com
Exactly and all is not bad, if one takes a look and see what is here by doing some research.

What about the Bitzer location that's supposed to be in the old GM plant too?

Old 06-25-2010, 03:41 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,869,348 times
Quote:
Exactly and all is not bad, if one takes a look and see what is here by doing some research.

What about the Bitzer location that's supposed to be in the old GM plant too?
I agree, all is not bad with CNY, it is reinventing itself. I will bet that many of those transplants to Virginia mentioned earlier will return. They will return because the fundamentals of the Syracuse economy have changed for the better.

It is funny that Bitzer is a German air conditioning company that moved down the street from the now vacant Carrier Corporation, except for some research and development. It is great to lure global companies, but I would rather see locally based (non-publicly traded) companies like Sensis, Welch Allyn, SRC, Anaren, Tessy, etc. flourish and grow in CNY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area