Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 07:35 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,408,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
According to population estimates released today by the Census Bureau, the city of Syracuse lost just 69 residents in the past year compared with annual average losses of approximately 1,000 residents in the earlier and middle portions of the last decade. To be sure, the population losses in most northeastern and midwest cities have slowed in the last two years as the economy and housing market have made relocation difficult. Syracuse has faired far better than other Great Lakes cities like Cleveland, Toledo, Detroit, Flint, and Buffalo that have continued to experience sharp population declines. Buffalo lost more than 1,000 residents in the past year.

For the first time in more than 5 years, Onondaga County has experienced population growth, albeit on an anemic scale, adding nearly 1,500 residents.

Population Estimates (http://www.census.gov/popest/cities/cities.html - broken link)

Not so fast. Looks like the estimates were a bit rosier than reality...

Census Bureau report: CNY population continues to drop - NewsChannel 9 WSYR

Quote:
New data from the Census Bureau shows that most counties in Central New York have experienced an overall decline in population.

Between 2000 and 2009, Onondaga County experienced an overall decrease of around 3,500 people, while Tompkins County had the region's only increase with more than 5,200 new residents. Madison County also saw a modest increase in population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 07:51 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,781,840 times
Again, including stats showing the difference between TEN YEARS ago and now doesn't say anything about the current state of population fluidity. We had an oft-acknowledged exodus, so to speak, near the beginning of the decade.

The past decade, especially during the last few years, has brought a lot of new projects and people to this area.

http://www.fairus.org/site/PageServe...ter_friendly=1
It looks like the population count of the City of Syracuse, in 2003 (against 2000 census stats), could easily account for the ENTIRE decrease of Onondaga County for the ENTIRE decade. Again, just those first three years... just in the city itself. If the city continued in an even steeper decline... if the the decline for those first few years ALSO occurred in the rest of the county, there's been QUITE a comeback lately to only have an overall decrease of 3500, eh?

Last edited by proulxfamily; 12-22-2010 at 08:06 PM..

Old 12-23-2010, 05:08 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,408,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
It looks like the population count of the City of Syracuse, in 2003 (against 2000 census stats), could easily account for the ENTIRE decrease of Onondaga County for the ENTIRE decade. Again, just those first three years... just in the city itself. If the city continued in an even steeper decline... if the the decline for those first few years ALSO occurred in the rest of the county, there's been QUITE a comeback lately to only have an overall decrease of 3500, eh?
I see your point, but consider that states like CA and NY are still growing, it still is concerning that some areas are still showing a net loss in population.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:56 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,781,840 times
I *was* concerned around that time but again, I can now actually see the huge influx of new people. I'm still defensive of my area but it seems that a lot more people aren't as rabidly anti-Syracuse as they used to be. There's not much left to be terribly defensive about. lol. When I graduated high school in 2001, it seemed like everyone was leaving. In 2002, Carrier-United Technologies left. Also around that time, a lot of the manufacturing/industrial plants closed down and thousands, from all of that, moved out of state.

But those who made the best of it have seen just how well this area was able to keep them... they were able to re-educate themselves in new technologies/fields and the jobs were waiting for them, if they cared enough to put in the effort. The many dozens of people I personally know from Carrier, who stayed, are actually making MORE than they did previously. And most of those friends I graduated with, who left to go to college out-of-state or downstate, have returned... happily. The grass really isn't greener, when you get to a point in your life where you want to be with everything that is STILL familiar, despite the stretch of absence. People have been returning in what feels like droves and bringing their new, young families with them. Even with this snowy December, they're joyful to be "home." They're finally seeing all that this area has to offer and want to be a part of it.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:39 AM

94,571 posts, read 125,671,130 times
Quote:
I *was* concerned around that time but again, I can now actually see the huge influx of new people. I'm still defensive of my area but it seems that a lot more people aren't as rabidly anti-Syracuse as they used to be. There's not much left to be terribly defensive about. lol. When I graduated high school in 2001, it seemed like everyone was leaving. In 2002, Carrier-United Technologies left. Also around that time, a lot of the manufacturing/industrial plants closed down and thousands, from all of that, moved out of state.

But those who made the best of it have seen just how well this area was able to keep them... they were able to re-educate themselves in new technologies/fields and the jobs were waiting for them, if they cared enough to put in the effort. The many dozens of people I personally know from Carrier, who stayed, are actually making MORE than they did previously. And most of those friends I graduated with, who left to go to college out-of-state or downstate, have returned... happily. The grass really isn't greener, when you get to a point in your life where you want to be with everything that is STILL familiar, despite the stretch of absence. People have been returning in what feels like droves and bringing their new, young families with them. Even with this snowy December, they're joyful to be "home." They're finally seeing all that this area has to offer and want to be a part of it.
Great point, as people have to realize that from maybe 2000-2008, population and other things were declining or leaving the country(let alone state). With the recession though, from 2008 on, things have allowed people to put some things into perspective and some people have been coming back. So, when the majority of a decade shows one things, eventhough there are some gains in the last couple of years, it's still going to make things seem like there are continuous losses, when that might not necessarily be the case.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:24 PM

580 posts, read 1,178,640 times
Quote:
In 2002, Carrier-United Technologies left.
Bit of a clarification on that point: UTC bought Carrier and moved the corporate offices in 1979; it was the last of the (union) manufacturing operations that were shut down around 2002. UTC has kept the R&D operations on Carrier Parkway (and I think they employ over 2,000 people), and has continued to expand the workforce there.

Local media love to pile on corporations who cut manufacturing jobs, but are happy to ignore white collar job growth. I guess it doesn't play as well with the demographics these television stations and newspapers are going after.

The population loss isn't the end of the world, especially, as Proulx noted, given the sharp declines at the beginning of the decade. The sprawl and drastic increase in infrastructure to support this population are nothing short of disastrous, but -- with spineless county government and greedy suburban developers -- we cannot expect much better.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:47 PM

94,571 posts, read 125,671,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post
Bit of a clarification on that point: UTC bought Carrier and moved the corporate offices in 1979; it was the last of the (union) manufacturing operations that were shut down around 2002. UTC has kept the R&D operations on Carrier Parkway (and I think they employ over 2,000 people), and has continued to expand the workforce there.

Local media love to pile on corporations who cut manufacturing jobs, but are happy to ignore white collar job growth. I guess it doesn't play as well with the demographics these television stations and newspapers are going after.

The population loss isn't the end of the world, especially, as Proulx noted, given the sharp declines at the beginning of the decade. The sprawl and drastic increase in infrastructure to support this population are nothing short of disastrous, but -- with spineless county government and greedy suburban developers -- we cannot expect much better.
Good catch on UTC, as you still see employees going to work over there. I agree that people in the area get caught up in the manufacturing jobs are gone hype, when it's a matter of evolving and realizing that other industries are growing instead.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:14 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,638,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Park View Post

My thoughts exactly. Case and point: the salivating of the bush league "journalists" at Channels 3, 5, 9, and 10 when a small-time food distributor announced it would relocate operations to the former P&C warehouse in Van Buren. Based on the degree of coverage, an outsider would have assumed 500 jobs would be created. Although its nice to see positive net absorption in the region's depressed industrial real estate market or as the targeted demographic would call "one less empty building" most of these industrial moves are city-based firms relocating all or most of their operation further and further away from the city. While there has been some recent movement of professional services firms back into the city core, the long range trend, particuarly for more blue collar operations with lower wage positions has been suburban bound.

I also noticed scant media coverage (keep in mind I don't live in CNY and don't get local news channels) on the local television news websites regarding the unveiling of the Syracuse Biomaterials Institute at SU. This $10 million capital investment holds some promise in attracting higher caliber researchers and igniting severely lacking technology transfer and commercialization projects in the region. Perhaps the concept was too foreign for the simpleton reporters at 3-5 and 9. I give credit to YNN for covering the story.

Despite significant doom and gloom, there are roughly 30 open R&D positions at Carrier Corporation in DeWitt, including over a dozen highly specialized, senior level (PhD) engineering opportunities that involve paid relocation. SRC (formerly Syracuse Research Corporation) has a healthy amount of openings. The construction of a second headquarters building for DeWitt-based Aspen Dental should add 125 office jobs.

Granted these developments are a drop in the bucket for a medium sized metro area, however at least there is some activity in a light of local leadership that is completely incompetent.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:29 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,638,274 times
2010 Estimates Show Slight Growth in Onondaga County's Population

According to the the US Census, the estimated population of Onondaga County has increased by about 750 from July 1, 2009 to July 1, 2010. The county's population stood at just under 456,000 on July 1, 2010, down roughly 2,400 (or 1%) from the official 2000 census population of 458,300. Despite continued losses, the estimated population of Onondaga County has recovered to 2004-2005 levels and has increased by about 2,600 since 2006 when the county had 453,300 residents, its lowest population estimate of the decade.

The official 2010 census population numbers will be relased for New York state in April. In the previous census, the population estimate for Onondaga County in 2000 was 456,000, or 2,000 lower than the actual 2000 census population of 458,000; therefore its possible that the actual population of Onondaga County may be slightly higher.

Monroe County has also experienced flat to slightly negative population growth based on estimates over the past decade. While the county's population has experienced gains and losses over the past decade, the county still has fewer residents than reported in the 2000 census. Buffalo's Erie County continues to register sharp population declines with a loss of 4%+ since 2000, or four times the per capita population loss in Onondaga County.

The long term population trends for upstate New York and Onondaga County have been dismal over the past 30 years. Greater Syracuse has been unable to keep up with its peer cities and like sized metro areas in states with decent business climates. While a nominal gain or very modest loss is certainly no cause for celebration, it appears Onondaga County's population has stabilized and is not experiencing the level of decline witnessed in the 1990s.

Population Estimates (http://www.census.gov/popest/eval-estimates/eval-est2010.html - broken link)

Last edited by RollsRoyce; 03-08-2011 at 09:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area