Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 12:23 PM

126 posts, read 620,644 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone, me and my husband have a couple of questions about Syracuse that we were hoping some nice person might be able to help us out with!

First, how far away is Syracuse from good hiking -- like hilly, wooded hiking?
Is Syracuse diverse or open-minded? Does it tend to be yuppie and suburban, or is there plenty of room for everyone?
I've seen cute, older houses on realtor.com in Syracuse for 125-150k. A very cute one is in "Westcott" -- bad area? Seems weird, where I'm coming from, to be able to find a house for that price, but I know that all areas aren't highly inflated ...
How would a young, eccentric family with an eye for social justice fit in? I know I've heard of the Syracuse Cultural Workers, that's a plus for us

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 03:07 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
You can find hilly wooded hiking within 15 minutes of Syracuse and the Adirondack Mtns are about an hour away.

I think there's room for everyone. The suburban areas are almost exclusively white. If you want something more funky that runs from small houses close together, to lg Victorians that need fixing up, to a few sections that still have large mansions you should look within the city boundaries. This is where the most diversity is. That would be the avg price of a home in the area.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:41 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
The suburban areas are almost exclusively white.
I have two black families in my suburban Syracuse housing development alone. My cousin has an Asian family that just moved next door to her. You'd be surprised how many Asians and African Americans have moved to the northern suburbs of Syracuse in the last 3 years.

That said, yes the city is much more diverse. My knowledge of the city is limited, but Westcott is an OK area IMO. All I can go on is what I hear and read, like this quote on wiki......."Westcott is a neighborhood in Syracuse, New York near Syracuse University. The neighborhood is seen as the cultural neighborhood of Syracuse, with several boutiques selling hip clothing and accessories. It is also a very diverse community, with many of its residents being Syracuse University students, many international, and others being more lower-income permanent residents. Westcott Street is the main retail street of the neighborhood, and it features many international restaurants and cultural stores. There is also Westcott Cinema, which often plays non-mainstream, independent films. Once a year the neighborhood is also home to the Westcott Street Cultural Fair."

Yes, in Syracuse there plenty of room for everyone. No one really stands out here, there are hicks, bubbas, gays, professionals, students, young, old, black, white, Asian, native American, Catholics, protestants, atheists, liberals, conservatives, soccer moms, NASCAR lovers, Symphony and classical music lovers, Yankee fans, Red Sox fans, people who buy their clothing from Banana Republic or from Wal-Mart, weirdoes, bums, artists all mixed up together, sometimes in one neighborhood. You really can be whatever you want in Syracuse and no one will care..

Old 06-22-2007, 06:03 PM

That sounds wonderful! Diversity is great. If anyone else has any input or experience there, how is Syracuse's economy these days? My husband's future job seems to be high in demand, based on the # of want ads on myspace, anyway, lol.

Thanks for the input, really! Westcott sounds just lovely to us!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
I have two black families in my suburban Syracuse housing development alone. My cousin has an Asian family that just moved next door to her. You'd be surprised how many Asians and African Americans have moved to the northern suburbs of Syracuse in the last 3 years.

That said, yes the city is much more diverse. My knowledge of the city is limited, but Westcott is an OK area IMO. All I can go on is what I hear and read, like this quote on wiki......."Westcott is a neighborhood in Syracuse, New York near Syracuse University. The neighborhood is seen as the cultural neighborhood of Syracuse, with several boutiques selling hip clothing and accessories. It is also a very diverse community, with many of its residents being Syracuse University students, many international, and others being more lower-income permanent residents. Westcott Street is the main retail street of the neighborhood, and it features many international restaurants and cultural stores. There is also Westcott Cinema, which often plays non-mainstream, independent films. Once a year the neighborhood is also home to the Westcott Street Cultural Fair."

Yes, in Syracuse there plenty of room for everyone. No one really stands out here, there are hicks, bubbas, gays, professionals, students, young, old, black, white, Asian, native American, Catholics, protestants, atheists, liberals, conservatives, soccer moms, NASCAR lovers, Symphony and classical music lovers, Yankee fans, Red Sox fans, people who buy their clothing from Banana Republic or from Wal-Mart, weirdoes, bums, artists all mixed up together, sometimes in one neighborhood. You really can be whatever you want in Syracuse and no one will care..

Old 06-22-2007, 11:57 PM

172 posts, read 846,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post

Bellafinzi...I like your enthusiasm and all, but...

Cicero, NY
White Non-Hispanic (95.8%)
Black (1.2%)
Two or more races (1.2%)
Hispanic (0.9%)
American Indian (0.8%)

Clay, NY
White Non-Hispanic (91.3%)
Black (3.5%)
Two or more races (1.5%)
Hispanic (1.4%)
American Indian (0.9%)
Asian Indian (0.6%)

Lysander, NY
White Non-Hispanic (96.4%)
Two or more races (0.8%)
Hispanic (0.8%)
Black (0.7%)
American Indian (0.6%)

The truth is, they are not diverse. Clay was actually the lowest percentage I found in the north suburbs. But this is the case for most major cities in the country-primarily white, non-hispanic suburbs.

I've heard good things about Westcott...kind of an ecclectic place beacuse of the university influence...I'd like to say most of the people I've met in Syracuse are open-minded to people of different races, creeds, etc....although sometimes when I read reader comments on the Syracuse newspaper online, I get the impression otherwise.

The job market is prob'bly best for someone involved in healthcare, education, retail, and to a lesser extent, information and technology services (engineers are in high demand). He will likely have trouble finding work if involved in industrial/manufacturing work (this once was a major contributor to the economy, but when the jobs left for cheaper pastures, Syracuse took a nosedive economically, and has only in recent years managed to make some progress in diversification of the economy).

Old 06-23-2007, 02:36 AM

1 posts, read 4,413 times
Default Yes but those are the outer city areas.

In the city itself it is very open minded. Down town NY has many festivals to celebrate. There are Puerto Rican days, Italian fest, German fest. The city itself has a lot to offer to those willing to enjoy it. Also, If you enjoy the outdoors its 15 minutes in almost every direction to get there. I love living out side of Syracuse. I like in an area called Pompey and love the location. I live out in the country on a half gravel road and wake up the roosters crowing. The best part of it is that if I need to get supplies or want to go shopping its only 15 to 20 minutes away to the city. Its not like the mid west here you have to drive an hour to get to maybe a Wal-Mart. In the areas out side of Syracuse you can drive 15 minutes to get to major shopping areas with choices, not just a Wal-Mart. Although not to mention at the same time I hope not to many people move this way. Its peaceful and quiet and have seen farmers loose land to housing developments. This is part of life I guess. But yes it is a beautiful place and I will never move out of the area. Right now I have a job overseas and I count down the days until I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarian View Post

Cicero, NY
Black (1.2%)
Two or more races (1.2%)
Hispanic (0.9%)
American Indian (0.8%)

Clay, NY
Black (3.5%)
Two or more races (1.5%)
Hispanic (1.4%)
American Indian (0.9%)
Asian Indian (0.6%)

Lysander, NY
Two or more races (0.8%)
Hispanic (0.8%)
Black (0.7%)
American Indian (0.6%)

The truth is, they are not diverse. Clay was actually the lowest percentage I found in the north suburbs. But this is the case for most major cities in the country-primarily white, non-hispanic suburbs.

I've heard good things about Westcott...kind of an ecclectic place beacuse of the university influence...I'd like to say most of the people I've met in Syracuse are open-minded to people of different races, creeds, etc....although sometimes when I read reader comments on the Syracuse newspaper online, I get the impression otherwise.

The job market is prob'bly best for someone involved in healthcare, education, retail, and to a lesser extent, information and technology services (engineers are in high demand). He will likely have trouble finding work if involved in industrial/manufacturing work (this once was a major contributor to the economy, but when the jobs left for cheaper pastures, Syracuse took a nosedive economically, and has only in recent years managed to make some progress in diversification of the economy).

Old 06-23-2007, 03:37 AM

Hmmmm. I like that Syracuse is so close to nature (according to you all), and that it also seems large enough to have a lot of activities. The availability of nice cute houses (in Westcott ) is a definite plus as well. I've also heard that it's like apple-picking central, too.
The economic nosedive doesn't sound so good, though. How does that affect the community? My husband will be going into HVAC and from what we can tell that job is high in demand pretty much everywhere, so I don't know how the economic situation in Syracuse would affect that. I mean, are all the young people LEAVING Syracuse, like how they are in Michigan, or do young families seem to be pretty common still?

Will Syracuse be better or worse off in five years?

Old 06-23-2007, 03:56 PM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
Quote:

Cicero, NY
Black (1.2%)
Two or more races (1.2%)
Hispanic (0.9%)
American Indian (0.8%)

Clay, NY
Black (3.5%)
Two or more races (1.5%)
Hispanic (1.4%)
American Indian (0.9%)
Asian Indian (0.6%)

Lysander, NY
Two or more races (0.8%)
Hispanic (0.8%)
Black (0.7%)
American Indian (0.6%)

The truth is, they are not diverse.
Good post vicarian. All I was trying to say was that Syracuse's suburbs aren't "almost exclusively white". For me, when I hear almost exclusively white, I think 99% of the population is white.

Also, you forgot to list the Demographics of one town in the northern suburbs....Salina

Salina, NY
White Non-Hispanic (93.9%)
Two or more races (1.4%)
Hispanic (1.4%)
Black (2.2%)
American Indian (0.5%)
Asian (1.6%)

These are all 7 year old stats I believe. And only in the last three years have I started to notice more diversity in the Town of Clay. I'm sure the percentage of whites in Clay and other towns around Syracuse have dropped somewhat.

mnaylor81, you're very typical of people who live in the Syracuse area. The people who do like living here, don't want it to change....so they try to keep the Syracuse area a secret. That way they can keep this community all to themselves. I understand this mentality, but I don't agree with it. I believe the Syracuse area can only get better if it actually grew in population. Staying stagnant in population for almost 40 years is not healthy. The population is getting older and older and if things don't change, young families will get rarer and rarer. Quality of life will start to go down if that occurs. Young families is what this region is geared for and if they start disappearing, many thing that make this area a great place to live will be lost IMO.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:44 PM

113 posts, read 341,988 times
I was wondering what people in Syracuse think of the apartment rental business in and around this city and it's suburbs.

Do people rent in old multi units like they do in New England?

Some of the multi's are quite reasonable price wise.

Any neighborhoods to keep away from because of crime , gangs ect ect?

Do realestate values seem to be creeping up or down?

I would like to buy and be a owner occupied landlord.

Thanks.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:14 PM

457 posts, read 645,474 times
Quote:

Cicero, NY
Black (1.2%)
Two or more races (1.2%)
Hispanic (0.9%)
American Indian (0.8%)

Clay, NY
Black (3.5%)
Two or more races (1.5%)
Hispanic (1.4%)
American Indian (0.9%)
Asian Indian (0.6%)

Lysander, NY
Two or more races (0.8%)
Hispanic (0.8%)
Black (0.7%)
American Indian (0.6%)

In all fairness we're talking about people who see one or two blacks and call the area "diverse." I hear the same sentiments echoed in New York City - three blacks and three dark-skinned Puerto Ricans and the neighbourhood suddenly counts as "hella diverse." And they tend not to even know they're looking right at Native Americans because they lump us in with either black or Latino when they see us so we're "nonexistent."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area