Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 10:27 AM

229 posts, read 691,823 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Syracuse but I have three questions:
-Do you need a block heater in the winter?
-Is a snow blower a very important thing to have?
-Does Syracuse generally get wet snow or dry snow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 11:16 AM

406 posts, read 1,452,001 times
1) no, last winter it did not go below -10 more than once. Most of the time the lowest it gets is in the single digits.

2) it depends on what type of driveway you have. Many people have contracts with private plowing companies, I know I do less shoveling here then I did down on L.I.

3) compared to what I was used to downstate, the snow here is generally dry. Also note that there is a great sense of pride in the rapid removal of snow in the area, many folks have two wheel drive cars with no issues, athough 4 good snow tires are a must.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:31 PM

3,523 posts, read 9,437,218 times
boomvang is spot on.

The lowest temperature recorded for North Syracuse last year was -7.... if I remember correctly. Syracuse is a Zone 5, Zone 6...most years the lowest temperature of the year ranges from -5 to -15 degrees F. Some years are much colder than others but the average low in January is about 15 degrees...while the average high is 31 degrees.

I'll try to expand on the wet snow/dry snow issue....

-Lake Effect snow (snow produced from the Great Lakes) is generally very light, dry and fluffy snow.

-Snow from produced from Nor'easters and other storm systems is generally heavy and wet snow.

-The Syracuse area averages 70% lake effect snow and 30% non-lake effect snow.

Therefore, generally speaking, the snow that falls in Syracuse area is dry, 70% of the time.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:53 PM

Thanks, your answers are very helpful. Also, how would the winters compare to Albany, Rochester, or Buffalo?

Old 09-14-2008, 05:39 PM

3,523 posts, read 9,437,218 times
As far as average high and low temperatures in the winter, all four metropolitans areas....Syracuse, Buffalo, Rochester and Albany...there is very little noticeable differences which them.

Number of cloudy days in the winter...Albany is the sunniest (little lake effect cloud cover) then Rochester, then Syracuse, then Buffalo...which is the cloudiest.

Average snowfall in the winter is tricky since it can vary widely between townships but here are the averages for each airport....Albany has the least (little to no lake effect snow) about 62 inches...then Buffalo - 97 inches then Rochester - 100 inches, then Syracuse - 111 inches.

Syracuse's airport is located 5 miles north of the city and is close to the heart of the lake effect snow country. If you live east or west of Syracuse, you will probably average 10 - 15 inches less snow each winter than the suburbs to the north. That's why Syracuse records more snow than the city or eastern or western suburbs....the airport is located in a more snowy area.

The opposite is true in Buffalo. Buffalo's airport is located northeast of downtown Buffalo...that area receives less lake effect snow than suburban towns south of Buffalo...which can average 130 inches each season. That's why Buffalo's airport records less snow than many of it's suburbs to the south.

Rochester's suburban towns closer to Lake Ontario average more snow than the airport or towns closer to the Finger Lakes.

Since the Albany area doesn't receive much lake effect, there is little difference in snowfall between suburban townships.

Hopefully I didn't confuse you too much.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:32 PM

It is interesting to know that there can be such a big difference in such a small area.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:37 AM

8 posts, read 12,841 times
Yea but the cloud cover just hangs over the cuse making it depressing place the only thing going in that town is the school the rest has all gone down hill no jobs and they stop talking about building a mega mall that will never go anywhere

Old 09-15-2008, 06:29 AM

1,002 posts, read 2,000,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdraz1982 View Post
Yea but the cloud cover just hangs over the cuse making it depressing place the only thing going in that town is the school the rest has all gone down hill no jobs and they stop talking about building a mega mall that will never go anywhere
That is, as long as you solely look at this area from Alaska and don't even bother to look closely.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:14 AM

33 posts, read 175,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdraz1982 View Post
That hasn't been my experience at all.

Last winter was my first one in Syracuse annd it was ok. We have a Toyota Camry with snow tires and it was fine. No block heater, and never had a problem starting it.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:32 PM

It can't possibly be as cloudy as Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area