Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2007, 12:22 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,929,130 times

Advertisements

This fall I will be applying to graduate school. I'm trying to shrink the long list of possibilities to a short list, and need to learn about everyday living in the areas where the schools I'm considering are located. One school on my list of possibilities is Syracuse U. My student budget probably will be too tight for me to own a car, so I need to know whether it's possible to find, within walkable distance of the campus, decent housing at a price that is affordable on a typical student budget, and all the businesses needed for food, personal supplies, and basic entertainment.

I'm sure quite a few students do not have cars and manage just fine, but it's likely that a lot of them live either on campus or in rental property off campus in neighborhoods with many students. I'm older than even the typical graduate student, so I really need to live in a place that's free of a heavy student population and the nosiy parties that go with it. It would be very helpful to know whether there are quiet areas within walking distance of the campus. I'm pretty active physically, so for me, "walkable" can be more than a couple of blocks. The physical exertion of a long walk around town is not an issue. On the other hand, I don't want to have to walk such long distances everywhere I go that the time would add up and really cut into my day.

I'd appreciate hearing about anything people familiar with the area think it would be useful to know, but I'm especially interested in thoughts on the primary issue of having all the basic requirements within walking distance. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 09:53 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,276,971 times
Not sure how helpful my information will be.

I don't think SU has a reputation as a party school, unless you count the dome and basketball times, especially since there are three hospitals adjacent to campus. There are busses from the 'hill' to downtown which is closeby, and in the other direction to a mall on Erie Blvd, and to another mega mall on Onondaga Lake in Carousel Mall. There is a major transportation center across from Carousel and a huge farmer's market next to that.

Food may be your major problem as I'm not sure of any nearby groceries of any size. You may want to consider one of the school's dining options.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Not sure how helpful my information will be.

I don't think SU has a reputation as a party school, unless you count the dome and basketball times, especially since there are three hospitals adjacent to campus. There are busses from the 'hill' to downtown which is closeby, and in the other direction to a mall on Erie Blvd, and to another mega mall on Onondaga Lake in Carousel Mall. There is a major transportation center across from Carousel and a huge farmer's market next to that.

Food may be your major problem as I'm not sure of any nearby groceries of any size. You may want to consider one of the school's dining options.
In fact this info is very helpful. I get a good basic picture of the neighborhood, and it sounds as if Syracuse would be quite workable when it comes to being able to live in the area. Regarding your suggestion to look into on-campus meal plans, I've seriously thought about doing that just for the sake of convenience. Still, if there is a grocery store in the area, I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who knows about this, so I know all the options available. Also, I'll check websites with info on rents, but it's always good to get this kind of information from people with personal experience, so I'd be glad to hear from anyone who knows about this. What do rents typically run in the area? Being an older student, I wouldn't find it workable to rent a house with a bunch of other students, and would prefer living alone, but I wouldn't need anything elaborate. As long as the place was in decent condition and in a quiet neighborhood, a studio would work fine. Thanks again for the inside info, Sgoldie. Take care.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:35 PM

22 posts, read 107,087 times
You will certainly need the bus system. I know of a few folks (professors and students) who do not own cars and manage ok. ALthough, I wil try and find out how they get to a grocery store. The closest would be on Erie Blvd a 45 min walk one way. Winters in Syr are really tough. Although you may not mind walking a few blocks, you will not be able to do so in the winter months. Although you can manage in Syr without a car, if you can afford it I strongly suggest you get one. As you are not of typical student age you will not find any interesting entertainment on campus hill (marshall street). You will find more to do in Clinton Square which is not within walking distance to the campus. (a $7-10 cab ride). Housing is reasonable in Syracuse. Steer clear of East Fayette St NO MATTER HOW CHEAP THE RENT. It is a very dangerous st. Be careful where you settle down, although most of the University area is wonderful, go one block to far and you would not feel safe walking to class/stores no matter how old you are. Syracuse University is a great school! Have fun, and hope you like basketball!!

Old 08-22-2007, 12:14 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,679,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingCuse View Post
Have fun, and hope you like basketball!!
Did somebody say Orangemen? Gerry McNamara!!! G-MAC! G-MAC! G-MAC!
Representin' Scranton! WOOO HOOOO! (Uh oh! I better keep quiet before BellaFinzi comes and smacks me upside the head with her moderators' stick! LOL!)

Old 08-28-2007, 08:07 PM

Thanks again for the info, everyone. LeavingCuse, it's good to get those details on different places in the city. I am curious, though, about specifically what the differences are between the entertainment options on Campus Hill and in Clinton Square. Oh yeah, and I like basketball just fine. Wasn't Syracuse pretty good in football at one time as well?

Thanks again for the info, everyone. Take care.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:16 PM

37 posts, read 132,768 times
Default cuse

Good at one time is a great way to put it. Basically our football program has the look of being the big east's new cellar dweller. But about the food, there is a P&C Foods near south campus. It's about a mile past the Manley Field House (the old basketball arena). I believe there's a shuttle directly to it. But if not, I know there's a shuttle to Drumlins, which is right next to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area