Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 08:05 AM

4 posts, read 6,883 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a question for you guys:

In the photo below there is a red arrow indicating a car wants turn from W Erie Blvd. onto S. Madison St. I know while there is a green arrow, it gives you the right away. But when there is no green arrow, when do you go (there is no yellow or red arrow just green and when that goes out there is no light)? I know you need to wait for oncoming traffic to clear
but do you have to wait for the cars turning from S. Madison St. to Erie Blvd to complete there turn before you turn or do they give you the right away?

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/2653/mapob.jpg

Thanks, Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 09:07 AM

1,002 posts, read 2,000,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon345 View Post
Hi,

I have a question for you guys:

In the photo below there is a red arrow indicating a car wants turn from W Erie Blvd. onto S. Madison St. I know while there is a green arrow, it gives you the right away. But when there is no green arrow, when do you go (there is no yellow or red arrow just green and when that goes out there is no light)? I know you need to wait for oncoming traffic to clear
but do you have to wait for the cars turning from S. Madison St. to Erie Blvd to complete there turn before you turn or do they give you the right away?

Thanks, Jay
Is this a signaled intersection? If so, green and no arrows on Erie would mean yield to oncoming Erie traffic before turning (unless it's signed as a turn signal, in which case you have to wait for the next green arrow). Follow the general guideline for an unprotected left turn, essentially.

If it's an all way stop, first in first out - if the car on Madison is there first, you wait for them.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
Is this a signaled intersection? If so, green and no arrows on Erie would mean yield to oncoming Erie traffic before turning (unless it's signed as a turn signal, in which case you have to wait for the next green arrow). Follow the general guideline for an unprotected left turn, essentially.

If it's an all way stop, first in first out - if the car on Madison is there first, you wait for them.
It's a traffic light. There is a protected green arrow but I was just wondering when the green arrow went out when you could turn. Cause normally there would be a red arrow when the green arrow goes out but there is not arrow when the green goes out. So I assume you would just go as you said, first in first out rule and give the right away to oncoming traffic.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
It's a traffic light. There is a protected green arrow but I was just wondering when the green arrow went out when you could turn. Cause normally there would be a red arrow when the green arrow goes out but there is not arrow when the green goes out. So I assume you would just go as you said, first in first out rule and give the right away to oncoming traffic.
No green arrow but maintained green (for thru traffic) would mean yield only to oncoming but the side street traffic should have a red signal at that point.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acknight View Post
No green arrow but maintained green (for thru traffic) would mean yield only to oncoming but the side street traffic should have a red signal at that point.
What if there is a red light for the thru traffic light? And the traffic light for the turning lane does not have a light on (no, yellow, green or red)? You still have to wait for the thru traffic light to turn green before you can turn?

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
What if there is a red light for the thru traffic light? And the traffic light for the turning lane does not have a light on (no, yellow, green or red)? You still have to wait for the thru traffic light to turn green before you can turn?

Thanks for your help.
Is it this style? http://www.trafficlights.com/images/g5lighta.gif

Right side rules on that if no arrows shown. Thru light has to be green (or yellow if mid-turn) to go.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:59 AM

Yea, that was the style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area